New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-09-16 07:03:11

Palomar

Re: Color Schemes

*Which will be favored for homes, buildings, etc.?

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2004-09-16 07:25:33

Cobra Commander

Well, I suppose it would be largely determined by whose homes they are and what the people were trying to convey with their public structures.

For my part, I'd expect homes to be a mix of "Martian" colors (reds, browns) and metallics with a hint of greens and blues, while leaning towards white and/or black for communal or government buildings. White for monstrous Speer-esque "Mars Sized" neo-classical buildings, though all government structures would be black and built in the style of Mordor with red inscriptions above their doors reading "Herein is conducted necessary evil."
big_smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#3 2004-09-16 08:25:56

Palomar

though all government structures would be black and built in the style of Mordor with red inscriptions above their doors reading "Herein is conducted necessary evil."
big_smile

*In Elvish?

Runes of power upon the door?

-*-

Drat.  :-\  I wish there were a way to edit poll choices.  Forgot to include:  Creams, whites, tans, buffs. 

My choice was blues and greens...also, I'd include copper accents in my home.  That'd be very lovely.

(Am having a "de ja vue" moment right now, for some reason)  :hm:

--Cindy

P.S.:  Anyone for a game of Twister and fondue party afterwards?!  big_smile

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#4 2004-09-16 13:48:33

Rxke

Hmmm... I know I'll be judged crazy, but...

I have my biggest room (one complete floor, almost) painted in some kind of light orange-red-terracotta, to make it a bit Mars-like, floorboards are red...(with a tinge of blue in it, which gives it a light wine-ish color) and some unpainted wood structures of various tints.
Ceiling big compromise: white, because I didn't know wether to do it butterscotch or blue (really!) and because it gives you more errr... light.

Well... Plants (green) are real eye-catchers in such a setting, very nice contrast. the place is really good, lots of light, even in winter, I tried to imagine how a building made of Mars stuff would look like, after awhile... (when wood can be used for interior stuff.

Of course, everyone will be *sick* of red and browns, after awhile... heehee, so they'll probably will *not* use those colors.

...But they contrast really really well with plants.

(I am pushing an agenda?)

#5 2004-10-23 23:14:57

Aetius

I'd think that Martians would get so heartily sick of seeing reds, browns, and yellows outside their windows and faceplates that they'd gravitate toward blues and greens.

It might also be seen as a political gesture of solidarity with Earth. That is, if Martians politicize everything like we do.

#6 2004-10-24 07:11:30

Palomar

I'd think that Martians would get so heartily sick of seeing reds, browns, and yellows outside their windows and faceplates that they'd gravitate toward blues and greens.

*Yep, I agree.  For some reason I also think royal purple and gold (as a combination) will be popular. 

--Cindy

#7 2004-10-24 09:51:12

Rxke

Ever lived in a place, painted in blues and greens?

It makes you really, really want to get out! big_smile
When lighting is good, it's ok, but when it's rainy or overcast outside... Boy oh boy, baaaad room! You really feel the walls closing in on you, heehee..

#8 2004-10-24 11:55:25

~Eternal~

Autumn colors:  Soft green, dusty purple, orange, crimson, yellow
To atleast reflect upon what Mars once was, if the Greens will undoubtedly get their way.

The MiniTruth passed its first act #001, comname: PATRIOT ACT on  October 26, 2001.

Board footer