New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-01-01 18:45:34

oker56
Banned

Re: U.S. conspiracy to keep humanity from outer space - revealed

#2 2003-01-01 18:58:23

soph

theres no conspiracy to stop space development.  its an effort to keep top secret material top secret.  if we stopped them from giving american stealth technology to china, would you say its a conspiracy to keep the world out of the skies?

#3 2003-01-01 19:37:43

oker56
Banned

are you saying Hughs and Boeing were giving china access codes to our satellites?

I don't think so.

#4 2003-01-01 19:43:10

soph

lemme guess, youre not american?

i dont suppose russia is giving us their rocket blueprints, or anyone else for that matter.  is russia conspiring against the world?

#5 2003-01-01 19:44:26

oker56
Banned

I'm american; we have russia's rocket blueprints; nobody cares about those, except possibly those who don't want space development?

#6 2003-01-01 19:51:59

soph

im sure there are (or would be if russian space development hadnt collapsed) russian blueprints that we dont have.  our government has every right to control the information they have developed, and if boeing is ditributing it without government approval, they are in the wrong, not our government.

put it this way, if you write a book, does your coauthor have the right to sell it without your approval?

#7 2003-01-01 19:59:54

oker56
Banned

to bad we live in a money world; otherwise, you arguement would be worthless. 

Accomplishing things takes energy and matter; money is just for societal control; yes, I do believe we can get around without money; the natural world did it for four billion years.

#8 2003-01-01 20:04:07

soph

how do you propose we get around with money?  if everybody received the same benefits, then there would be no incentive to work harder.  or, you could specialize and trade your good for somebody elses.  but this is barter, which places a value on your good versus other goods.  money is just a physical, near-static representation of the relative value of your goods and services.

i dont agree with people who say we dont need money.  its too idealistic, at least for this time.  money makes people poor...yes, but it also drives people to accomplish more...it is a goal.  money, like anything else, can be used for good or evil.  if i believed that we could live in a society where money was not needed to regulate values, i would happily support such a society.  but i really think its just an idealistic theory.

#9 2003-01-01 20:17:25

oker56
Banned

life did it for four billion years.

#10 2003-01-01 20:20:25

oker56
Banned

as for dealing with the rest of the issues, that would take a lot more time to write down.  Besides that, the future is coming fast . . . .

#11 2003-01-01 20:24:41

soph

ants have class systems, the queen and princes live more luxuriously than the workers.  just because there is no money explicitly, doesnt mean there isnt a similar work value system.

it would be pretty hard for a tiger, bird, or alligator to make money without an opposable thumb.  chimpanzees and apes barter much the same as people.

#12 2003-01-01 20:42:44

oker56
Banned

yes, ants have queens, but more luxeriant?  As for Chimps bartering, I'd like to know your reference.

#13 2003-01-01 20:45:11

oker56
Banned

. . . and you didn't take into account the big one - bacteria and other single cell creatures; they are the controllers of the earth and the original lifeform.  Any attempt to understand the true nature of life needs to start there.  They use no money.

#14 2003-01-01 20:53:10

soph

tell me how a single cell is ABLE to create a brain.  they have no free will-no consciousness.  that would be like saying a doorknob didnt make money.

ive seen documentaries where some chimps make tools, others get food, and so forth.  the alpha male and female positions in a wolfpack-it is a measure of the value of their work.  the "best" wolves get the best positions.  just because they dont have coins, doesnt make it any less of a value system, which is exactly what money is.

yes, the queen and princes do not have to work, and are cared for by other ants, who provide all their needs.  other ants stay in the colony.  others work.  they receive food and shelter as per their duty.  this is a form of currency as well.  ever had an ant farm?

#15 2003-01-01 21:20:03

oker56
Banned

a doornob is not a living thing; the key to understanding how thinking works is evolution(natural selection is a side effect of life processes; it doesn't explain how forms arise from structurelessness; this is where Ilya Prigogine's stable non-equilibrium thermodynamics comes in)  Havn't I described much of this new biology stuff to you before in another forum?

#16 2003-01-01 21:22:10

oker56
Banned

#17 2003-01-01 21:23:07

soph

youre nitpicking.  the point is that beings without the means to create a system of currency obviously wont, so the argument that life hasnt had it for X years is invalid, because life was incapable up until evolution bestowed new abilities unto life.

#18 2003-01-01 21:36:30

soph

just because you think your view is right, doesnt make it the absolute truth. 

and tell me where i said evolution has stopped?

i saw the deleted post.

#19 2003-01-02 14:31:38

Echus_Chasma
Website

yes, I do believe we can get around without money; the natural world did it for four billion years.

How, may I ask, can this world now get around without money?

Will all the big businesses and corporations give all of their employees a bag of food, or land?

Will we live in a world with absolutly no trade what-so-ever?
Because thats what money is. Wether its a cheap, mass produced coin, note or a bag of food that you grew on your farm. Whatever you use to trade to get something that you don't, thats essentially money. If you get rid of 'money' something else will come along thats exactly the same. Money is just there so we don't have trade what material possessions we have for something else.

[url]http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Echus[/url]

#20 2003-06-18 21:56:56

Lone--Wolfe
Banned

If the USA has a reason to keep space colonization from the rest of the world, you keep your head and your butt down, and say God Bless America. LOL!

#21 2003-07-04 19:34:34

prometheusunbound
Banned
Website

There is no conspiracy. . .the only thing that stops the space program is the ingorance of the american public (and french, japanese public) concerning matters in space exploration.  people think space travel is for crackpots, and therefore anyone who even remotely suggests space travel should be done is a crackpot. 
  the public is like this:
   1.  space travel is BS
   2.  crackpots spew BS
   3.  therefore, anyone who mentions space travel is a crackpot.

that is not my personal thinking, but it is what I have observed-not just space travel but my religious beleifs (I am a card carrying calvinist(well, almost) and proud of it.)

Man is persuaded not by logic, but by emotional pull.  If one man goes one way, and everyone else goes the other, which way do you go?  Only with those whom you have an emotional investment (assuming you process emotionally) and the majority will almost absolutly win.  sorry  if I got a little sidetracked.

"I am the spritual son of Abraham, I fear no man and no man controls my destiny"

Board footer