New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-09-04 21:23:05

mcshlong
Banned

Re: Mission To Mars Website Open

Hey my website related to a manned Mars Mission game I'm working on. I thought I'd post it here first though for you guys.

Check it out and give me some feed back please. Mars Mod

Cheers!
Matt

MARS MOD - Founder and Mission Director
[img]http://marsmod.com/images/head_nasa2.gif[/img]

#2 2003-09-05 00:13:32

Echus_Chasma
Website

Whoa dude,
that's cool!

Groan, I want Half-life 2 now.

[url]http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Echus[/url]

#3 2003-09-05 06:22:10

TJohn
Banned

I'm at work right now.  But gave it a quick glance.  It looks very good!  Good job, mcshlong!

One day...we will get to Mars and the rest of the galaxy!!  Hopefully it will be by Nuclear power!!!

#4 2003-09-05 11:50:52

Algol

I seriously think this is a great concept.

All the technical information is there for you to base the game on. Its not going to be based on science fiction, so you can litterally incorporate every detail properly, which will be a big buzz for those of us who will notice it. And for those players when they come out, and think that maybe mars exploration might be quite cool, there is all this information on the web that is proving that we can actually do, in real life, what they just did in the game!

#5 2003-09-05 13:21:29

Algol

Ok, hows about this for an adaptation of the game - a way of keeping it competitive.

How about you have competing teams flying parallel missions to mars, competing to do various tasks or complete goals first.

I dont think they could actually each design and build their own spacecraft, (you guys would have to model each of their rockets and habs), but maybe theyd have to oversee the construction of each of their rockets or habs, and mistakes would lead to problems later on. (that would definately add to tension at launch and landing)

They would have to design and man their own mission-controls, deciding what equipment to have, how many people contributing and to what positions (as well as staff rotas), their layouts and command structure would then more reflect what they wanted to do and would directly impact the mission by being more or less efficient.

Im not sure about the transit time to get to mars, but there would still be things to do en-route - especially for mission control.

When they land on mars they have tasks to perform (least of which is staying alive) and missions to perform.

Most importantly, the teams can interact and see how the other is progressing (in a kind of peak over the fence kind of way), and when they reach mars the teams, if they are there at the same time, will be able to interact with each other, maybe help each other, maybe sabotage other teams. One team might help out anothers mission control if theirs fails or has communication problems etc.

If it looks good enough as well, you might even be able to splice the whole thing together and make short films of their eforts.

This version is obviously a little less 'realistic' but would maintain the basic mission structure it would just give the players more control and responsibility over their fates. And obviously give everything a potentially needed competitive edge.

I can see teams registering a week before game start, then 10 teams all racing to build their rockets and fly them to mars over a couple of months. total mission time would of course be important.

#6 2003-09-05 16:39:53

mcshlong
Banned

As always nice post Agol.

I'm not sure of how the game play will work. The whole ideas gameplay is pretty unique.

Originally I had envisioned the game play concept as kind of a COOP version of a single player game. COOP is not a common idea in gameplay really and actually rather rare. But COOP means when two, or more, players over the internet can play a single player game together.

That means that all the players are on the same team and random events may happen to them such as system failures and such things. This game play concept relies on such things as the wonders of huge spaceships, floating over the planet, exploding burning spaceships, entering the atmosphere at the right angle. Popping the parachute too fast and having it burn up. Talking with mission control over voice chat to get the timing right of directional burns, mission control telling you to do certain things.... ect...

However, I realize that this concept of the gameplay is not team vs team. And normally all the fun games are team vs team, I have thought of certain game play concepts that might work, like you have. Im against games where too much thinking is involved. I like action games.

I read you post over carefully and I like most of the ideas. These are the type of ideas we need to refine during the making of the game. I think the way to decide on the game play is to make the mod first, and then when the game is playable and the team is familar with what is possible and what strengths the team has to then make final decisions on how the game play will go.

I'm just not exactly sure how it will end up going. I do know It will be neat if we can pull it off.

MARS MOD - Founder and Mission Director
[img]http://marsmod.com/images/head_nasa2.gif[/img]

Board footer