New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-08-10 12:03:16

SBird
Banned

Re: Hubble to be fixed - Huzzah!

Well, in a stunning departure from their usual head-up-ass policies of late, NASA finally buckled under the pressure and committed to repairing Hubble. 

http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl? … d=160]here

#2 2004-08-10 12:08:11

Palomar

Well, in a stunning departure from their usual head-up-ass policies of late, NASA finally buckled under the pressure and committed to repairing Hubble. 

http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl? … d=160]here

*Wow.  yikes  yikes

I'm surprised (and elated!).  Nine to 12 months...

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2004-08-10 12:16:54

SBird
Banned

The 9-12 months is to plan things.  The actual repair mission doesn't go up for at least 3 years, unfortunately.  Hopefully Hubble is still in a repairable state in that length of time.

#4 2004-08-10 12:25:20

SpaceNut
Administrator

Well depending on If it is feasible to do, Bring up Hubble 2 and a de orbit booster stage in a shuttle and be done with the whole issue of repair. Send Hubble to it's demise or leave it for spare parts once the booster is attached.

The cost of a Hubble robotic mission looks to be to high in cost and can only grow with the passing day that more devices become inoperative on Hubble.

Here is an article that details the cost of the Robotic mission.

http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centreda … 358626.htm
"The agency chief said the mission would cost roughly about $1 billion to $1.6 billion. But he warned that it was almost impossible to estimate the cost until a plan was developed."

#5 2004-08-10 12:33:30

Palomar

The 9-12 months is to plan things.  The actual repair mission doesn't go up for at least 3 years, unfortunately.

*Yep.  I should have noted that in my first response as well.

Hopefully Hubble is still in a repairable state in that length of time

*I thought about that too.  sad  But I'm optimistic (somehow).
It's a frustrating prospect all the way around.  :-\

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#6 2004-08-10 13:11:56

SpaceNut
Administrator

Shelved instrument could restore Hubble's UV vision
http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99996260

The good news is, An instrument that could replace key functions of a recently failed spectrograph on the Hubble Space Telescope is already built and sitting on the ground.

#7 2004-08-10 13:22:57

John Creighton
Website

Although, these initial robotic missions to repair the Hubble, I wonder if the experience gained performing these kinds of missions could save money in the long run.

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#8 2004-08-10 13:38:06

SpaceNut
Administrator

I guess the closer that it is to being more human in its abilities. Then the more likely it will be of value for just such repair operations. No space suit required. Otherwise it is just another one of a kind machine.

#9 2004-08-11 08:23:45

SpaceNut
Administrator

FYI for those that have not found it yet.

Android top pick to aid Hubble; Dubbed "Dextre," the Canadian robot would blast off on an Atlas 5 or Delta 4 rocket in late 2007 and then outfit the $3 billion observatory with fresh batteries and gyroscopes as well as two new $100 million science instruments.

http://www.flatoday.com/news....FIX.htm

Lots of details in the article.
Happy reading all.

#10 2004-08-11 11:51:46

SBird
Banned

Ultimately, we need the ability to remote service stuff in orbit via robot.  Given that a large portion of our manufacturing capability these days is robot driven, it's silly that we're stillusing expensive human labor for space repairs.  I think that the development of a decent robotic repair capability is essential for our ability to get a real orbital presence.

#11 2004-08-11 14:23:59

SpaceNut
Administrator

I remember seeing in the last say 3 months articles from either a japanese firm or that of a university with a more human like robot. That could be used if a stationary platform were made.
There was talk of using such a robot to do the more difficult replacement items that they felt a robotic arm could not do.

Robonaut human looking Robot astronaut:

Who should explore space, man or machine?
http://www.cnn.com/2003....ex.html

Robots come to aid of human exploration
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/04/1 … index.html

#12 2004-08-12 11:46:33

SpaceNut
Administrator

As noted by the most recent Hubble component failure Hubble Program is Reshuffling Observation Requests Following Failure of primary spectrograph. This is to be expected but if the time line for the planned rescue is not moved up to compensate for failures soon. There may be nothing left to save.

http://www.aviationnow.com/avnow....124.xml

#13 2004-08-13 07:02:04

SpaceNut
Administrator

Addition resources on Dexter

Hubble: Robot to the rescue?
NASA moves forward with a plan to service the Hubble Space Telescope without the space shuttle.

http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx?c=a&id=2377
dextre_250.jpg

#14 2004-08-13 07:29:05

SpaceNut
Administrator

No Green Light for Hubble Rescue 
http://www.wired.com/news/space/0,2697, … _tophead_6

Not really a change but only no cash funds have been put forth yet and a critical design review is 9 to 12 months away.

#15 2004-08-18 12:06:57

SpaceNut
Administrator

More on the other topic of is hubble a mistake action needed.
spacedaily article link on that page.
http://www.newmars.com/cgi-bin....ntry172

#16 2006-03-04 10:52:29

Yang Liwei Rocket

Griffin has stated that he will consider the possibility of a manned servicing mission.
HST has been used in a gyroscope preservation mode, and may be serviced in 2008 or 2009, depending on how well the redesign of the Space Shuttle goes.

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

#17 2006-07-21 11:28:15

dicktice

Now that the space shuttle orbiter can inspect and repair itself, a mission to the Hubble should be possible without the "Russian roulett" factor that previously existed (in our ignorance) before the latest Discovery proving-mission. Great result!

#18 2006-07-22 17:32:55

Commodore

The half billion dollars is still better spent on a replacement.

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

#19 2006-08-27 19:33:25

Dayton Kitchens

The half billion dollars is still better spent on a replacement.

Whenever I hear that I think of NASA scientists being so unconcerned with Skylab being destroyed because "we'll have a bigger and better space station in orbit before long".

It took more than 30 years.

#20 2006-08-27 20:30:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

Shuttles will never cost in the half billion range since they are costed against total dollars devided by how many mission are launched per year...

As for Hubble getting a service mission IMO it would be better to do the HOP telescope.

Finally, a sensible solution to the Hubble debate - ... that we can all agree on...maybe. estimated 65 months and $1 billion to launch HOP.

Hubble II ???

Cost Estimate page

item    discription                         FY04 $M
1    Spacecraft                           190
2    DeOrbit Module             12
3    Optical Telescope Assembly        242
4    science Instrument Modifications                     35
5    Science Instrument Integration                     12
6    Fine Guidance Sensors         63
7    Space Vehicle Integration & Test                    115
                Subtotal    667

30% Contingency            174
8    Atlas 521 Launch Vehicle        150
                Total    991

HOP would make use of instruments - the Cosmic Origins Spectograph (COS) and the Wide Field Camera 3 (WFC3) - originally built to be installed on Hubble during its fourth service mission. Which are already built and paid for in storage some where.

Reason for Hubble servicing:

What is at stake if the Hubble is not serviced on time?  It is likely to fail during the 2007-8 time period.  Either the batteries or the attitude control gyros will fail, eventually leaving it either dead or unable to do any research.  (It can survive with no science with one gyro but must have working batteries for use during nighttime passes.)  Once sufficient failures have occurred, lack of heat and the resulting thermal damage to electronics will quickly ensue, and then the telescope could not practically be recovered.   Without a servicing mission, the two new instruments, which would greatly enhance the Hubble, will never be installed and used.

Trouble being is that after it becomes unoperational for science it can be in sort of a safe mode for a very long time. Not to mention it would probably be another decade before it will come down for good.

#21 2006-11-02 10:27:10

dicktice

Now that the space shuttle orbiter can inspect and repair itself, a mission to the Hubble should be possible without the "Russian roulett" factor that previously existed (in our ignorance) before the latest Discovery proving-mission. Great result!

I blush to quote myself, but it seems typical that the Hubble upgrade scheduled for 2008 hasn't been acknowledged with even a wimper by the nay-sayers, due to the inspection capability quoted above. Come on, show a little enthusiasm for the Space Shuttle's renewed capabilities which came about just when we needed them most.

#22 2006-11-02 17:24:13

Commodore

Griffin is using this as a sacred cow to hold over Congresss' head. Within 6 months he'll say, "Ya know, I'd really like to launch it, but I'm not sure I can with the money you've given me."

Otherwise this is just passing the buck down the line. What happens in 2011? The same people will whine that they'll be without a scope.

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."

#23 2006-11-02 21:50:25

SpaceNut
Administrator

Yup news reports indicate 800 million mission cost for the may 2008, 11 day stay. IIRC the hardware already build is in the 300 million nieghborhood not counting storage charges...

#24 2006-11-02 22:30:47

dicktice

Commodore:  Not to have mentioned the scientific value of continuing the multitude observation programmes dependent upon the Hubble Space Telescope by astronomers, who may not be able to wait until the next instrument becomes operational if ever, in your purely political polemic ... is pathetic. Where's your sense of values?

#25 2006-11-02 22:50:14

Commodore

Commodore:  Not to have mentioned the scientific value of continuing the multitude observation programmes dependent upon the Hubble Space Telescope by astronomers, who may not be able to wait until the next instrument becomes operational if ever, in your purely political polemic ... is pathetic. Where's your sense of values? Not acceptable, sir!

Your spending $800mil on a mission to extend an aging scope with an irresplacable Shuttle and 7 lives for an extra 5 years when for an extra $200mil you can get a brand new scope capable of far more science that isn't designed to need regular repairs with a ship that won't exist.

Were are my values indeed.

Board footer