New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2003-06-05 14:50:40

Palomar

Re: Nature Sounds

*While I work, I always listen to something on CD; usually classical music.  But lately I've been craving the sounds of a thunderstorm and rain.  When I lived in the Midwest (born and raised there), I could feel a tension of sorts arising automatically within, coinciding with the buildup of the thunderclouds; when the thunder and lightning began, the inner tension was released with the storm's unleashing.  Now I live here, in the desert Southwest, and we've had no rain for MONTHS.  Nothing, nada, kaput.  I had a rain and thunder cassette tape years ago; lost it, so this past week replaced it with a CD.  My god IT'S WONDERFUL!  smile  Next best thing to the real thing.

You know, if I were on a Mars mission or going as a settler or colonist, I'd want nature sounds available to me.  Birds singing, thunderstorm, ocean waves.  Might even be wise to make some other soundtracks available, such as that of a steady flow of traffic in a busy city. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2003-06-05 16:29:26

dicktice

Re: Nature Sounds

Quite wonderful, Cindy. And these sounds could be transmitted directly from Earth in realtime (the delay in this case, not a problem) for "updating" and/or new sequences recorded, because who wants to be able to anticipate when  e.g. the "thunder" happens, each time...?

Board footer