New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-12-14 17:50:18

falkor

Re: Christmas TV - what are YOU looking forward to?

ok eyes down for 2 weeks over Christmas!  big_smile get the video recorder ready, it will be running NINE TO THE DOZEN!!

18 DEC, the first day of the holidays, what's on?
cableTV/ SKY
Total Recall on BBC3 - a long and superb movie for sure
or what about the Vicar of Dibley, episodes 8pm - 11.30pm UKgold, that really does make me laugh, I just love their "town council meetings" - that is my best bit of the whole program!
FILM:The importance of being earnest on Sky Movies 9 long winded story but worth it to the end!
or even better THE CORE on Sky Movies 3

19 DEC, day 2
'COMMANDO' Arnie's top notch retirement film on Channel 4
alternatively Back to the Future on cable's SCI FI channel
'Finding Nemo' on the Disney Channel, never seen it, but heard it's great
Vicar of Dibley again, this time 8pm - midnight on UKgold
what about '28 days later' on Sky Movies 7 ? I heard this is based on a true story too

20DEC
I just love RESIDENT EVIL on Sky Movies 4
BTW I will NOT be watching Never Ending Story III on Sky Movies 4 I can tell you that, what a dreadful sequel to NES II and an absolute tripe sequel to NES I for sure - complete waste of time

ok 21 DEC is the fourth holiday day, what's on?

cable/ SKY TV
SKY ONE the SCI FI TOP 10 - WOW anything SCI FI I will be there
and there's 'Braveheart' on Sky Movies 6 - what a film - the Haggis' vs the Sassesnachs, awesome

22 DEC you have GOT to see CHICAGO on Sky Movies 1, superb music and story - a real murder musical that one (it's cooool) and the ancient "Abyss" on Sky Movies 8 is aliens - ET style underwater, fabbo

23 DEC well how about 'THE MUMMY' on the SCI FI channel - hehe always loved that film, could watch it over and over
and as I plan on GOING to Jupiter one fine day I think I'll tune in to "Jupiter" over on Discovery Science, sounds a great hour to me

XMAS EVE? TOTP2 on BBC2 sounds good to me. Slade? YOU BET!! Wizzard? Of course! I do hope they have Mariah Carey doing her "All I want for Christmas is you"   that is sooooo superb, best of the lot
Yay! 'Royle Family' on BBC1 - hehe TOO MUCH!
Shrek on BBC1 - go for it, still worth a look
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang on ITV, too childish? ok what about Jumanji on UK Gold? or the Secret of NIMH on Sky One, THAT is a terrific kids film, guaranteed
'Apocalypse Now' on Sky Cinema 1 - yep now there's a totally wicked late night film for sure

Christmas Day? well I will NOT be watching Harry Potter on BBC1 - I saw it in the cinema and that was enough :angry:

'Finding Nemo' on the Disney channel or 'YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN' on BBC1 would be 10 times better I reckon
Actually on Channel 5 there is a top notch movie "ASTEROID" - I'll probably watch that!

BOXING DAY Ozzy!! You have got to watch DEAD RINGERS on BBC2 m8!! Your namesake will be on this episode, I have it on very high authority  :laugh:

Ghostbusters, the original film, is on DISNEY, I think I could easily see that one more time, no sweat
or even SPICE WORLD on VH1 would go down quite well, but even better Groundhog Day on Disney, so good (even when repeated   )

and on Sky Movies 8 the whole of the "New Battlestar Galactica" and I can tell you that this remake is SUPERB, very very good, anybody else seen it?

27 DEC Terminator2 on ITV2, gotta see that again
Morecambe and Wise on Channel5 - don't miss that one!
and what about LOTR: Two Towers on Sky Movies 1?

28DEC what about SMALL SOLDIERS on BBC1? very good, I love that
and GhostbustersII on Disney, fabulous
Resident Evil is back on Sky Movies 6, really does the game proud that, although 10 minutes past the start, the plot has really submerged so far FROM the game you do wonder  :laugh:

29DEC 'FINAL FANTASY: Spirits Within' on the Disney Channel, yes slated by so many and yet what a cool SCI FI film this truly is, well worth a look

well I have never seen 'Gilligan's Island,' but somebody made a tribute film "Surviving Gilligan's Island" and now I just gotta see the series! (Sky Movies 3)

what about "Beatles' Big Secrets" on Ch5? The Fab Four on tour? what could they do apart from escape in a Yellow Submarine?

ok, JAN1 Gotta see "THE OTHERS" on BBC1, great film and I love the part when the mother goes out into the woods, just WHAT does she find?  :?:

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>( if you don't have Sky TV or cableTV please accept my apologies for boring you to death, I pay a fortune for cableTV - I get my TV channels and broadband internet from the same service, it's an arm and a leg but I have a missus 2 kids a lame parrot and a muttley to entertain  )</span>

#2 2004-12-14 18:01:27

Palomar

*We'll be watching TVLand...like usual  smile  (So long as they're -not- doing an "all weekend-long marathon!" of just one show)  Second choice would be a science program or documentary.  The History Channel usually has good/interesting stuff to watch too (especially about Hitler and the 3rd Reich/WWII).  They recently re-aired "Band of Brothers."

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2004-12-15 11:20:48

Cobra Commander

The History Channel usually has good/interesting stuff to watch too (especially about Hitler and the 3rd Reich/WWII).

My wife has taken to calling it the "Hitler Channel"

That's what the "H" logo stands for.  :;):

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#4 2004-12-15 11:44:57

Palomar

The History Channel usually has good/interesting stuff to watch too (especially about Hitler and the 3rd Reich/WWII).

My wife has taken to calling it the "Hitler Channel"

That's what the "H" logo stands for.  :;):

:laugh:

Yeah, I can see her point.  smile  For some reason I can't get tired of watching stuff about WWII. 

The History Channel is one of the last channels on TV currently which is staying true to its programming.  [Unlike Discovery and A&E, which have sold out to cheap thrills, antics and low-brow "entertainment."  :down:  I am vastly disappointed with both, especially Discovery]

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#5 2004-12-15 12:10:19

John Creighton
Website

I enjoyed elf. I for some reason thought this was going to be about Christmas movies. My girlfriend really likes Rudolf. The one with the reindeer that look like puppets and the island of the misfit toys and such.

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#6 2004-12-15 12:39:48

Palomar

I enjoyed elf. I for some reason thought this was going to be about Christmas movies. My girlfriend really likes Rudolf. The one with the reindeer that look like puppets and the island of the misfit toys and such.

*The only good lineup of Christmas shows I know is usually what TVLand dishes up.  smile

As for Rudolph, you're referring to the Rankin/Bass stop-animation feature.  Have watched that since childhood.  I like it when the elves dance, Hermey (the misfit elf who wants to be a dentist) and Yukon Cornelius end up on the Island of Misfit Toys, etc.  In fact, poor Rudolph sort of gets (pardon the pun) eclipsed by some of the other characters.  :-\ 

I also like Rankin/Bass's Santa Claus is Coming to Town.  Those shows are incomparable.  Charlie Brown Christmas is probably my favorite of all.

As for "real" movies, I don't have a favorite Christmas movie.  It's a Wonderful Life is excellent, but I don't watch it every year. 

--Cindy

#7 2004-12-15 15:19:13

Ian Flint
Banned

Aah...nothing like Hitler for the holidays...

Unlike Discover and A&E, which have sold out to cheap thrills, antics and low-brow "entertainment

Really?  I love to "discover" 'Monster Garage' every day.
---Hack---Barf---Hurl---

Ok, we don't do the cable TV thing, but we love DVDs.  It'll be Ralphie, Ralphie, Ralphie 'til New Years!

#8 2004-12-21 07:48:30

Palomar

*Well this past weekend saw plenty of holiday-time movies.  I watched Zoolander on TBS (no, it's not a holiday movie itself...what I mean is there were scads of movies all over cable, as per the norm for this time of year).  It was okay; liked all the 80s music in the soundtrack.

Ben Stiller is sexy in a different sort of way.  Some of those costumes he wore...  roll  He looked good in them, though.  Sexy, yep.

--Cindy

#9 2004-12-23 03:49:00

falkor

http://surreycounty.co.uk/christmas.jpg]christmasimg.jpg

A Merry Christmas to all you fine new mars people!! BTW if you hear a rustling down the chimney late at night and some reindeers neighing outside - I do hope you left a couple of mince pies out !!! I get really peckish half way down a chimney!!   tongue

#10 2004-12-23 04:24:19

GraemeSkinner
Website

I was going to start a 'Card' thread, but may as well tag this on.

marscardfront.jpg
marscardinner.jpg

Graeme

There was a young lady named Bright.
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day
in a relative way
And returned on the previous night.
--Arthur Buller--

#11 2004-12-23 06:02:51

GraemeSkinner
Website

There was a young lady named Bright.
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day
in a relative way
And returned on the previous night.
--Arthur Buller--

#12 2004-12-24 08:09:26

Palomar

A Merry Christmas to all you fine new mars people!! BTW if you hear a rustling down the chimney late at night and some reindeers neighing outside - I do hope you left a couple of mince pies out !!!

*Well, since you mentioned it...

I finally decided to try mince.  Actually, mincemeat.  Bought a box of dehydrated mincemeat at the store last evening, reconstituted it and made two large tarts.  (My definition of a "tart" is a regular round pie crust stuffed with filling, folded neatly in half).  What an aroma -- both while reconstituting and baking!  smile  And so delicious.

It's all your fault, falkor.   :;):  Actually I'd seen a couple of recipes lately involving mince or mincemeat, so it just sort of happened that way.

I also baked cherry chocolate tarts and whipped up some marshmallow creme last evening.

What's this got to do with TV?  Well, falkor brought up the subject of mince...and of course we'll be munching on these goodies while watching TV.   tongue

TVLand is going to have a really good lineup tonight and tomorrow!  All the specials from TV's greatest classic sitcoms.  We'll definitely catch some.

Nice card, Graeme.  Why does that ornament look familiar?  wink

--Cindy

P.S.:  Whoops!  Don't want to forget to say I really like the card you posted, falkor.  Charming!

#13 2004-12-24 18:16:08

Rxke

Heehee...

Just saw 'Mars attacks!'

And the weird thing is, they started shooting at exactly midnight!
Weird programming, for sure, but I had a good laugh.

Tom Jones: "There's a Martian after me!"  big_smile

#14 2004-12-25 19:07:50

Cobra Commander

Before Christmas dinner number one we watched some of El Dorado on AMC. Don't know why, somebody was in a John Wayne mood.  :hm:

At dinner number 2 we actually wound up arguing about Mars missions. The usual fix problems on Earth first mentality.  roll

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#15 2004-12-27 23:39:02

Mad Grad Student
Website

Discover the true spirit of Christmas! -Er, at least this covers the true spirit of Decemberween, I- I guess...  :hm:

http://www.homestarrunner.com/dween_cakes.html]Sweet Cuppin' Cakes Decemberween Special

Perhaps this will demistify a shread of that above cartoon.
http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail72.html]Crazy Cartoon

I might be a little late in saying Merry Christmas/Happy Boxing Day, but let me be the first to say Happy 2005 and Happy Perihelion to all! big_smile

A mind is like a parachute- it works best when open.

Board footer