New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-01-03 00:53:55

PaganToris
Banned
Website

Re: I herd there gonna start drafting - the draft

I herd from some people that some guy in wasington wants to start drafting for the war.
me welll i duno i am overweight and i have a badd knee so i dont thnx that the government would want me and  if they do draft me i would break my arm to not get drafted i mean i like my cntry and alll but i duno if fighting would be the best thing for me i really woulkdnt mind but i odnt wanna go through boot camp! just give me a M-16 or a military sniper rifle and send me out ill do  some killing
Fell free to write what u want!

ZIGIE ZOKKIE  ZIGIE ZOKKIE OY OY OY
if u know what show thats from than where cool smile

#2 2003-01-03 02:05:08

CalTech2010

Instead of dodging the draft, just join the Navy.  They never come under direct fire in situtations like these.

Plus you have to have a medical exam before you get drafted in order to qualify.  If you have a bad knee, I'm sure they wouldn't draft you, or maybe they'd put you on KP...  big_smile

"Some have met another fate.  Let's put it this way... they no longer pose a threat to the US or its allies and friends." -- President Bush, State of the Union Address

#3 2003-01-03 02:07:12

Echus_Chasma
Website

I don't think they need to draft with the amount of troops and equipment already around Iraq.

[url]http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Echus[/url]

#4 2003-01-03 02:08:57

CalTech2010

I know.  With the technology we have these days, a draft really isn't necessary.  Unless we fight a really big world power, I doubt we ever will have another draft.

"Some have met another fate.  Let's put it this way... they no longer pose a threat to the US or its allies and friends." -- President Bush, State of the Union Address

#5 2003-01-03 02:14:42

Echus_Chasma
Website

Clone up heaps of super-military clones that have no feeling or fear. I bet they have some somewhere.  tongue

[url]http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Echus[/url]

#6 2003-01-03 02:22:59

CalTech2010

They're in a broom closet at SONY's Playstation department.

#7 2003-01-03 02:34:25

Josh Cryer

Democratic officals are saying they want the draft for political reasons. They're trying to prove a point. That the Republicans won't sponser a draft because that would mean that their children and so on would be eligible to go to war, and that would be unacceptable, etc. They're trying to make it look like Republicans aren't patriotic, or whatever.

Politics are often quite silly.

But don't take it seriously. No American wants the draft. We are too lazy. It would take a mommumental attack on us, by various nations, to warrent us even considering the draft.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#8 2003-01-03 09:46:05

Palomar

But don't take it seriously. No American wants the draft.

*Wrong-o.  Chuck Norris wants the draft.

Personally, I hope they don't reinstate it.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#9 2003-01-03 10:29:30

clark

For the record, the draft IS in effect.

Every 18 yr. old male must fill out his draft card within 30 days of his eligibility. Everytime he moves, up until 26, he must notify the draft board of his new address. Failure to comply results in denial of federal grants and scholarships for secondary education. You also are denied any opportunity to apply for a federal job, and then their are the criminal penalties and economic penalties.

Thank you Carter ( he reinstated the Selective Service in 1980).

There will be no actual draft- the current leaders are coming fromt he Vietnam generation. It would be ironic though if they were the ones to start it up again.

#10 2003-01-03 13:22:44

AltToWar

The dude that was pushing for the draft was a black democrat congressman.  he underlined his statement with the fact that he wants men of all classes, including the rich white folk, to send their boys to die.

There is a diproportionate racial makeup of the military these days.

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them. -Henry David Thoreau

#11 2003-01-03 13:32:52

clark

If anything, the military is one of the few governmental instutions that enable social progress and social mobility.

Rich white boys don't need the economic or social benefits as much as other non-whites, since opportunites already exsist for them- non-whites, or poor whites can use military service as a means to improve themselves and their prospective opportunites.

It is not neccessarily a bad thing, and is really a reflection of socio economics, not race.

#12 2003-01-03 15:16:04

Cobra Commander

I can't help but think all this draft talk is just an attempt to give the Democrats something to protest a few years down the line. You can't have a good "peace movement" if you're fighting with a volunteer army.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#13 2003-01-03 15:30:54

clark

I don't think the democrats plan that well, or tha far ahead.

#14 2003-01-03 20:15:22

AltToWar

If anything, the military is one of the few governmental instutions that enable social progress and social mobility.

Rich white boys don't need the economic or social benefits as much as other non-whites, since opportunites already exsist for them- non-whites, or poor whites can use military service as a means to improve themselves and their prospective opportunites.

It is not neccessarily a bad thing, and is really a reflection of socio economics, not race.

as long as we live in a peaceful time, then yes the military is a good opportunity.

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them. -Henry David Thoreau

#15 2003-01-03 23:04:41

CalTech2010

I agree that the military is a place where young men and women can better themselves, but not that "rich white boys" don't need that opportunity.

Have you noticed a trend?  Rich white men ruled the world for the last 3000 years, but now its reversed.  Minorities and women aren't just getting the playing field leveled, it's getting raised in their favor!  Don't get me wrong.  I don't believe in discrimination based on anything other than skill.  But I know that Martin Luther King wanted the world to be colorblind, and it appears that the color was just shifted around.

#16 2003-01-04 03:05:34

AltToWar

I agree that the military is a place where young men and women can better themselves, but not that "rich white boys" don't need that opportunity.

Have you noticed a trend?  Rich white men ruled the world for the last 3000 years, but now its reversed.  Minorities and women aren't just getting the playing field leveled, it's getting raised in their favor!  Don't get me wrong.  I don't believe in discrimination based on anything other than skill.  But I know that Martin Luther King wanted the world to be colorblind, and it appears that the color was just shifted around.

Guess were gonna have to get out the sheets again and set things right, eh?

#17 2003-01-04 12:12:27

PaganToris
Banned
Website

Welll i see it as "Cobra Comander" said its just a thing for the government to start talking bout with in the next few years!
Me being a 17 yr old i just laugh when they start talking bout the draft.
Yes i belive that ALL PERSONS 18-26 SHOULOD BE DRAFTED NO MATTER HOW MUCH MONEY THERE FAMILY HAS NO MATTER WHAT COLOR THEY ARE.
see one thing for me i dont really like rich people and ill tell u why
As i can recall my freshmen yr at high school i was chating with some frineds over hearing a conversation with these 3 maybe 4 other juniors he was bitching and complining that he only got $300 for alalence and he was supost to get $500
i stopped talking to my friends walked over there and told the guy he better shut his F--king mouth or id kick his A$$ and what did he do he try to swing at me so i had to take matter sin my own hands and well i got suspended and the cops knocking at my door WHY ALL BE CUSE HEWAS A RICH KID.
                                    big_smile

#18 2003-01-04 12:26:37

Palomar

women aren't just getting the playing field leveled, it's getting raised in their favor!

*Oh really?  Women get paid, on average, 76 cents for every dollar a man earns -- for equal work.

When I was still in the employment of others, a hospital offered me $2.50 per hour less than a male coworker had made 2 years earlier in the same office (he and I are still close friends, which is how I know this).  Despite the fact that I have as many years' experience in my career as him, and despite the fact that the quality and quantity of my work is just as good as his -- perhaps even better.  He was (and still is) single, and I've been married for 10 years with a disabled husband.

But because I'm female, I was paid less than he -- as were the other females in the office.

I'll believe the playing field is being leveled and the glass roof lifted when I start getting equal pay for equal work.  Payrate based on genitalia is unfair and stupid.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#19 2003-01-04 23:39:58

Phobos

Yes i belive that ALL PERSONS 18-26 SHOULOD BE DRAFTED NO MATTER HOW MUCH MONEY THERE FAMILY HAS NO MATTER WHAT COLOR THEY ARE.

I don't think anybody should be drafted.  I found it outrageous that someone would seriously propose bringing up the draft to simply prove a point regardless of how true it was. I'm not going to die for some idiotic two bit politician to prove a point.  These guys can go F- themselves.

I'll believe the playing field is being leveled and the glass roof lifted when I start getting equal pay for equal work.  Payrate based on genitalia is unfair and stupid.

--Cindy

Very true.  Considering how many single mothers there are out there if anybody should be getting paid more it should be women.

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#20 2003-01-05 11:17:48

PaganToris
Banned
Website

now Phobos so u are critizizing me bout make this topic bout the draft  u know what u are some comiunist huh! U hate alll Anarchist LOL
I just wanted to get some info out people but now i get critizized for it sad

#21 2003-01-05 14:55:26

Josh Cryer

Cindy, a little known fact that you probably don't realize, but Affirmative Action has helped women more than any other minority in this country. smile

And I agree with you Phobos, that's why I said the whole ordeal is silly. Don't think the draft will ever be invoked, though. When I said ?no Amercian? wanted the draft, I mean to say that a majority wouldn't. At least not until there was a major crisis and we were feeling all defensive (then we'd kick everyones asses).

PaganToris, dude, it's all good.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#22 2003-01-05 19:42:53

Palomar

I'm not going to die for some idiotic two bit politician to prove a point.  These guys can go F- themselves.

*Wow Phobos --- You Rock! 

Much better than the old "Hell no, I won't go" phrase.  big_smile

--Cindy

#23 2003-01-05 22:01:55

PaganToris
Banned
Website

AHHH YES that was a goood quote maid by u phobos.
yes i would do the same thing becuse i dont wanna sya anything that has to do with the president.
Phobos knows why he knws what happned on the BBS
i aint gonna say nothing LOL

#24 2003-01-06 00:31:37

CalTech2010

Hasen't affirmative action just made people "racist" against whites (and men) because there are racial and gender quotas to fill?  I know that if a college with racial quotas needs to fill a spot in a minority, and I apply at the same time as a minority, the college will pick the minority student even if I had better credentials because of some stupid number about how many minorities should belong in a school.

Racism (and/or sexism) of ANY type is wrong, regardless.

#25 2003-01-06 05:45:04

soph

Caltech, I know your point, but that RARELY happens, to put it lightly.

Board footer