New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-04-01 03:54:43

Jim Burk - MarsNews.com
Website

Re: Bill Gates To Lead New Private Mars Effort

Bill Gates to Lead New Private Mars Effort

A MARSNEWS.COM EXCLUSIVE

April 1st - In a stunning announcement made today, many of the world's leading financial barons will fund a new program of human Mars exploration and will launch a piloted mission by 2010. The group also hopes to claim the entire planet using existing laws.

http://www.marsnews.com/

James Burk
MarsNews.com

#2 2003-04-01 07:49:50

clark

ahem.

What day is it again?

Think about it....

#3 2003-04-01 08:01:13

Byron

$100 Billion to fund a private series of missions to Mars?  That is beyond our wildest dreams, and this could be THE ticket to get people to Mars, as NASA is certainly not going to get us there anytime soon.

BUT, I'm outraged that these corporate barons want to claim the ENTIRE planet for themselves, which would certainly shut the doors for any addititional colonization efforts in the future.

It is my suggestion that those of us who have a stake in the future of a free Mars, that we begin a program of urging our respective national governments to put the kibosh to their plans to claim all of Mars...if we act now, the proper laws can be enacted to prevent this terrible travesty.  I'd much rather see Mars remain barren of humans for the next 200 years than to see it claimed as a "corporate annex."

And now, let's cut to the chase here...whose idea of a sick April Fool's joke was this??   big_smile  yikes  tongue  :laugh:

Byron

#4 2003-04-01 08:10:17

clark

MarsNews looking for attention.

Can you say web-hits = $

#5 2003-04-01 08:18:20

dickbill

april 1st or not, it seems natural for some compagnies to deal in the field they excell. Like networking for mars. It has been said that future Mars missions will need an orbititing network to relay the  information flux to eath, like a Mars Wide Web network. Why microsoft could not be part of the construction of this network ?
But I don't believe the legal possession of a planet, who owns the earth.

#6 2003-04-01 08:31:26

Bill White

Hey guys - has any wire service picked up this story?

CNN? BBC? FOX?

Yet the article is a nice troll and does offer discussion opportunity.

Question - would George W. Bush [favor] [oppose] a consortium lead by Bill Gates claiming ownership of all Mars?

Why?

Discuss

#7 2003-04-01 08:36:32

clark

I believe this administration would support such a venture.

It offsets cost incurred to the government ostenibly, allows for stimulation of the aerospace sector, increases opportunites for multi-national coordination to bolster some of our failing international image. And it completes a NASA goal, and republican philosphy of private interest cooperation with NASA for space utilization.

That said, they might not support it because there is simply no oil in space, so why should they care? <shrug>

#8 2003-04-01 08:40:09

Ad Astra

Happy April Fools!

I really wish that Gates & company decided to invest in human spacefight.  But the idea's been tried before and nothing came of it.  Rand Simberg has asked the question of private investment to many people who have tried to win the X-Prize.  One of these space visionaries (I believe it was Gary Hudson,) admitted that he's approached Bill Gates-types and been rejected.  And yet Gary Hudson is the man who got Tom Clancy to fund his Rotary Rocket.  So there are obviously a few wealthy people who are willing to support manned spaceflight with money, but the ones with the real funding, to make a man on Mars possible, just won't invest.  The best strategy, after being rejected by the billionaires, is to woo a large number of millionaires.

Who needs Michael Griffin when you can have Peter Griffin?  Catch "Family Guy" Sunday nights on FOX.

#9 2003-04-01 08:49:43

clark

Okay guys and gals, NEW PLAN.

We each find an old multi-millionaire. Marry them. Wait for their passing. Then collect.

Everyone must do their part!

Welcome to the New new Mars Direct plan.  tongue

Billionaires and millionaires alike tend to look at numbers, and understand what those numbers mean.

Return of Investment, what a foul stake through mother mars heart!   big_smile

#10 2003-04-01 08:55:54

Palomar

$100 Billion to fund a private series of missions to Mars?  That is beyond our wildest dreams, and this could be THE ticket to get people to Mars, as NASA is certainly not going to get us there anytime soon.

BUT, I'm outraged that these corporate barons want to claim the ENTIRE planet for themselves, which would certainly shut the doors for any addititional colonization efforts in the future.

It is my suggestion that those of us who have a stake in the future of a free Mars, that we begin a program of urging our respective national governments to put the kibosh to their plans to claim all of Mars...if we act now, the proper laws can be enacted to prevent this terrible travesty.  I'd much rather see Mars remain barren of humans for the next 200 years than to see it claimed as a "corporate annex."

And now, let's cut to the chase here...whose idea of a sick April Fool's joke was this??   big_smile  yikes  tongue  :laugh:

Byron

*Well, I have to admit I deleted my original post in response to this.  Just being intellectually honest.

I hope to god this is just an April Fool's prank -- at least the part about 4+ superwealthy individuals wanting to claim absolute ownership of an entire planet.

And considering all the implications of THAT...well, let's just say that April Fool's jokes of that magnitude, involving something so near and dear to my heart, does NOT go well with certain feminine-only circumstances.  Enough said on that.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#11 2003-04-01 12:45:09

TJohn
Banned

If this is a joke, the person(s) that started it should be strapped to a rocket and become the first human on Mars!  big_smile

When I first saw this, the first thing that popped into my head was "April Fool's!" 

BUT, what if it's not a joke?   The only thing that causes me concern is the "ownership" of Mars.  Can we say "Total Recall" type society?

One day...we will get to Mars and the rest of the galaxy!!  Hopefully it will be by Nuclear power!!!

#12 2003-04-01 12:49:24

clark

Can we say "Total Recall" type society?

Can we say three breasts...

#13 2003-04-01 13:43:32

Palomar

*This story doesn't appear on any of the major, reputable news wires all these hours later.

I would hope, in a genuine circumstance, the Mars Society would -NOT- offer any sort of assistance in helping a handful of wealthy superelite if indeed their agenda included their making a claim of owning Mars, or a great portion of it. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#14 2003-04-01 15:30:33

TJohn
Banned

If this "foundation" does exist, maybe this will spur NASA to react.  You know the government will not allow this.

One day...we will get to Mars and the rest of the galaxy!!  Hopefully it will be by Nuclear power!!!

#15 2003-04-01 15:43:25

nirgal
Banned

Whahahahaha!!! I must admit I believed it for just over a second, how embarrassing. tongue

Board footer