New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-05-06 13:28:53

REB
Banned
Website

Re: How will Mars affect the Human body? - Mars' effect on the Human Body

Science Fiction always makes Native Martians taller than Earthlings. It would probably take many generations to see this effect.

The downside of being a Native Martian, you could never visit the Earth for very long. On the plus side, you would look much younger than your Earth counterpart.Plastic Surgeons might not have much work on Mars. Women could say no to bras. Wrinkles would only be on the very old.

Speaking of old, would Martians live longer than those on the Earth? The low gravity would put less strain on a Martian’s heart. Would their heart become weaker over time, unless they were active?

And when it comes to strength, would a Native Martian be able to hold up with an Earthling? Probably not.

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#2 2004-05-06 14:07:28

Cobra Commander

Science Fiction always makes Native Martians taller than Earthlings. It would probably take many generations to see this effect.

Lamarck lives. Actually, if the reduced gravity were to cause people to grow taller it would happen in the first native-born generation.

We discussed this recently in another thread, with the basic conclusion being that changes will occur, but we don't really know how. There just isn't any data on the development of mammals in Martian gravity, and that's only one factor. As far as we know it's possible that a human embryo won't even develop properly under those conditions.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#3 2004-05-08 09:06:48

RobS
Banned
Website

I'm not even sure about the wrinkles and lack of bras. My mother-in-law has a joke: what do old women have between their breasts that young women don't? Answer: a belly button. I'm not sure 1/3 gravity will help with that problem of age (and of course the joke is an exaggeration).

If wrinkles are the product of exposure to ultraviolet light (which is one cause, I think), Martians may be more wrinkled. On the other hand, if they stay underground or inside pressure suits all the time, they may be pale and smooth-skinned.

One way to counteract the lower gravity, I think, is jumping exercises. On Mars you will jump higher, but you'll hit the ground just as hard. Part of our muscular and skeletal system exists to move us horizontally (accelerate and decellerate our mass) and that is necessary regardless of gravity.

One think that occurs to me: physical therapists might be badly needed on Mars, because the lower gravity may cause some muscles to atrophy.

-- RobS

#4 2004-08-14 10:56:22

Morris
Banned

One way to counteract the lower gravity, I think, is jumping exercises. On Mars you will jump higher, but you'll hit the ground just as hard. Part of our muscular and skeletal system exists to move us horizontally (accelerate and decellerate our mass) and that is necessary regardless of gravity.

One think that occurs to me: physical therapists might be badly needed on Mars, because the lower gravity may cause some muscles to atrophy.

-- RobS

Mars will certainly be an ideal place for physical therapy research. This fact might allow a PT to be sent to Mars relatively early. The super important thing will be to develop an exercise program for all the mission personnel and settlers with a person in each location trained as a "tech" to provide advice with the PT available in the research center or by radio/internet. That person could double as the phys ed teacher in the local school.

Board footer