New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2024-02-22 12:57:23

tahanson43206

Prototype Industry Forum - New Index Level Proposal

This topic is offered for NewMars members to discuss/debate/decide a proposal for a new index level.

I am the sponsor of a new Index level: Industry

SpaceNut is Senior Administrator and he is currently opposed to the proposed new Index level. (as of 2024/02/22)

This topic is available for any NewMars member to describe how they would use the new Index level if it becomes available.

(th)

#2 2024-02-22 12:57:47

tahanson43206

Re: Prototype Industry Forum - New Index Level Proposal

This post is reserved an index to posts that members may contribute.

(th)

#3 2024-02-22 18:48:56

SpaceNut
Administrator

I am thinking that the business proposal topics to be move into this folder.

#4 2024-02-22 19:01:39

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re possible new Industry forum ... I'm hoping we can leave all the existing posts where they are.

It might be worth while to COPY them into a new forum, if we decide to create one.

My vision for the new forum (if we decide to create it) is to move from discussion to actual planning.

The folks who are going to settle Mars, or contribute to missions to Mars, are alive and on Earth right now.

At the moment (to the best of my knowledge) this forum is host to NONE of these folks, but we might have candidates we admitted since we closed the open registration due to spammers.

One of the five is a student of robotics in Mexico.

One of the five is a student in Germany, who wrote a paper about an 8 person exploration mission.

One is the developer of a robust minicomputer design for Mars.

One is a medical student in California.

These folks are representative of the kind of younger person we might be able to serve if we create an Industry topic, and then manage it so that it does not become just a discussion location. 

(th)

#5 2024-02-22 19:05:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

There is no topic copy function for this forum software.

There is move and leave a link where it once was as a redirect.

#6 2024-02-22 19:42:00

Calliban

TH suggested that one of the first posts on an industry index level should be creation of pressurised habitable volume.  I would be happy to advance the topic.  But creating a new index level looks as if it will be complicated from a software perspective.  I will wait and see what can be done.  The industry section will differ from what we woukd describe under Life Support.  Under the existing life support index, it is approapriate to discuss what might be done to produce habitable volume.  But describing the complete factory process behind it is too much of a tangent.  That is where an industry index would be useful, if it is possible.  We can talk about what the factory will look like.

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#7 2024-02-22 20:00:57

tahanson43206

For Calliban re #6

Thank you for your support of the proposal for a new forum (Index level) devoted to Industry.

The work that will lead us to that capability is underway.   I expect it will be a couple of weeks before we have a duplicate system set up.

With that system we can test the addition of a new forum without risking breaking something.

I expect that we may be able to offer the new index level in a month.  After 20+ years, a month is like the blink of an eye.

(th)

#8 2024-02-22 20:30:37

SpaceNut
Administrator

Calliban, I think you are talking about something similar to the ISS modules and cygnus as well as inflatables areas to make use of for living within. Which is about materials, testing, construction technology and safety of use and quite possibly expiration...

#9 2024-02-22 22:27:40

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #8

It is possible you missed Calliban's recent work on ribbed structures on Mars. 

It has nothing to do with ISS or Cygnus or inflatables.

I hope you can find those posts, if they have not receded too far away from the most recent ones.

(th)

Board footer