New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2023-12-28 20:18:49

SpaceNut
Administrator

True value of land use

The issue for the grid is that we do not have enough nodes to bring the energy we create into when its in large amounts in a concentrated area of use. Giving large sources are part of the original problem that we are still having when we are looking to power large cities which are of high concentration of use.

If the residence were to be the creator of power for use then the grid has less to provide.

#2 2023-12-29 16:00:59

kbd512
Administrator

Re: True value of land use

SpaceNut,

I hope you can figure out why what you want cannot be accomplished inside those cities.  There's not enough space available for "individual power generation".  It's also wildly less material efficient than centralized power facilities.

If you can provide a valid counter-factual, then please do.

#3 2023-12-29 16:30:12

SpaceNut
Administrator

Well zoning is a starter with real population density not allowed to exceed rural areas. We have seen the harm that large cities do with this concentration of people crowded so tightly.

#4 2023-12-29 16:49:05

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

It's not possible, let alone practical, to neatly divide up space so that everyone gets an equally sized parcel with equal resources, unless we're going to start taking things from their present owners at gunpoint.  If we're going to start doing that, then we're merely becoming more degenerate.  Cities are not more or less harmful than rural areas.  There's nothing intrinsically good or bad about a city or a farm.  Each type of land use has a function and a very good reason to exist.  Cities make collaboration and mass manufacturing much easier to accomplish.  Farms and ranches make mass food production practical, as well as serving as nature reserves, dependent upon how the farm is operated.

Attitude is everything, though.  Farmers need to understand that city dwellers are their most faithful customers, and city dwellers need to accept that without farms they don't eat.  Pretending that one group doesn't need the other is silly.  Basically, just because you're familiar with and like your own way of life, doesn't mean it's well-suited for the next person.  By having actual diversity of land use and population density, we can have places that can appeal to everyone.

Some people love Alaska and could never see themselves living anywhere else.  I like living in the City of Houston.  I only live outside the beltway because I can't afford to live inside the beltway, not because I dislike being a city dweller or cities in general.  Rather than try to contort both places to look and operate exactly like the other, this is one way in which diversity actually is our "greatest strength".  You have diversity of thought, diversity of way of life, and diversity of everything else.  Unfortunately, a lot of people have attempted to contort them into mono-cultures with singular ways of doing things, and no other ways are acceptable.  Maybe I'm the only one, but I think that's kinda short-sighted and petty.

#5 2023-12-29 17:29:12

SpaceNut
Administrator

No one said to give equal parcels to all. Just start spreading out. Farms then in NH should be thriving for those cities but they are not. Yes, some like it even further out into the woods but then again, I love roughing it as its real camping.

#6 2023-12-29 20:12:30

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

Again...  How exactly are we supposed to do that?  Land costs money.  A lot of money.

#7 2023-12-30 10:03:02

SpaceNut
Administrator

Land is from what I see is the value of infrastructure services provided to it, the building one has and the amount of it which is titled for ownership. All else that goes into the marketing is just opinion of what gives it greater value.

That said a plot of land less opinion is the same all over whether it's in a city zone or rural in the country its all of those other things that raise the value.

Sure, having water as in streams, ponds lakes or rivers will of course raise the value depending on the size of the land parcel but for the most part most land has neither of these. Then again so goes the view increase for hills, mountains or lake frontage as these again just happen out of chance that the Comsumer choices have made for its purchase.

Having selected a parcel that is clear of trees, boulders ect to make it existence for farmable land is just another of those choices as to if you think it's of value. Then again, it's also ideal for the solar activity if it is as such.

So, when I see large parts of the city slumbering unused lands in decay the city has the chance to make a change for the future so as to not repeat what is causing the conditions to stand and bring life back to it.

#8 2023-12-30 10:18:08

tahanson43206

There was an error earlier in this topic.  I'm sure it was unintentional.

Land costs absolutely nothing!  The generous Universe has provided an entire planet for the living creatures that live in, on and above it's surface.

Human beings (and other territorial creatures of whom there are many) claim "ownership" of land, and then charge arbitrary fees for access, or deny it altogether.

(th)

#9 2023-12-30 10:30:27

SpaceNut
Administrator

It's not really an error but a misgiving that living entitles no cost.

Lots have happened in history to cloud what was really meant.

https://www.legendsofamerica.com/ah-new … ttlements/

Ultimately the nation started out with claims and land grants from kings from many countries.

https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/Un … and_Grants

These same kings decreed states within the claim.

http://www.virginiaplaces.org/settleland/headright.html

The empowered states claimed it was their land for taxation.

https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/Go … and_Grants

https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/Colonial_Land

It's a grand mess that is why we hold land as having no value or costs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restoration_colony

We are taxed even if we do lay claim to anything that we purchase by states and government of the US.

Most of what we see now is what is the cost to live at any location under any version of stay.
As cost rise so does the movement of people to other states.

#10 2023-12-31 11:58:26

SpaceNut
Administrator

Like all taxing they have found a way to tax even when America's 'Ghetto Tax' is real and it costs poor people a lot of money

Wealth inequality in the United States is one of the country’s biggest problems. So much so that some researchers have taken to using the term Ghetto Tax as a means to define the weird set of circumstances America’s poorest face. The Ghetto Tax isn’t really tax, but rather the extra costs incurred for the everyday goods and necessities needed by those living in poverty. Everything from groceries to government services costs you more money when you’re poor, and science has proven it.

AA1m65Tq.img?w=800&h=435&q=60&m=2&f=jpg

Paying more is a way of life as produce is not locally grown any more as fresh is not without its issues. It's not just about food as it covers so much more including insurance of any type. It covers utilities as well that are provided.

#11 2023-12-31 12:44:02

tahanson43206

SpaceNut .... just curious ... are you complaining that it takes effort to stay alive on Planet Earth?

I notice that most creatures have to exert themselves to find food.

A few humans have learned how to cooperate with others to achieve a comfortable life in old age.

It would appear that not every human has learned the complex set of skills involved.

Exchanging money is a way that some humans have found a way to cooperate with others, so that everyone benefits.

Not everyone appears to have learned the skills involved.

To your point about paying more if you're poor .... I can verify that prices are higher when I shop at a large chain store on one side of town, and they are lower at a toney store in a different part of town.  I ** think ** I may have a clue as to the difference ... the toney store can afford to charge less for basics, because they sell so much higher priced (and higher margin) items.

It's just the capitalist system at work.  I suspect that if you were a capitalist running a capitalist enterprise, you would manage the operation pretty much the way everyone else does.

(th)

#12 2023-12-31 12:52:54

SpaceNut
Administrator

The skills are not being taught any long whether we live in a city or rural town for what it takes to feed when you have no money or have used it unwisely. Then again college was also a distortion that all should get higher education for that better paying job.

The state of US Education

The ability to go without is as much being taught that you can have everything if you have money and not being taught the skills to make it yourself when you do not.
It seems that there is always someone with a hand in your pocket to take what you make either in money or property.

The distorted view of that is right of the Pursuit or Practice of Happiness, but it does not say it's going to cost you...

So what happened to those that can and are doing the Creating a Bussiness for Jobs

#13 2024-01-22 18:23:14

SpaceNut
Administrator

House Prices Could Plunge Under New Property Tax Proposal

Anew Nebraska bill to alleviate the property tax burden on the state's homeowners could end up bringing down home prices, experts told Newsweek.

Earlier this month, Senator Eliot Bostar of Lincoln, a Democrat, introduced a new bill, LB1183, which would consider a local county's assessed property valuation the same as an offer to purchase that same property for the amount they valued it at, if the homeowner decides to sell.

"The bill creates incentives to ensure that property valuations don't exceed market value, which I believe is common," he added. "Property tax levy rates are statutorily limited, which leads to property tax increases being driven by increasing valuations. My legislation introduces market derived accountability into what is currently an opaque and bureaucratic system."

"Consider a county with a 1 percent property tax rate. If the home is over-assessed by $30,000 then the homeowner will have to pay $300 extra in tax," he continued. "But under this proposal, the government would have to overpay for the property by $30,000. That loss will have to be made up by $30,000 in cuts to services or raising $30,000 in taxes on other people."

Nebraska currently has one of the top 10 heaviest property tax burdens in the country when compared to the mean income in the state, according to website SmartAsset. On average, the state's property tax rate is 1.61 percent, though in some of the largest counties it can go up to 2 percent.

The state's average home value was $245,663 as of December 31, according to Zillow, up 4.6 percent compared to a year before.

A number of realty companies are listing properties at inflated prices.

Board footer