New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-02-28 12:28:11

Palomar

Re: The Station: Rhode Island Nightclub Fire - Anyone you know?

*I've been very touched by the tragedy in Rhode Island last week (20th).  I know no person who died or was injured in that horror.  Does anyone here have a friend, relative or acquaintance who was somehow personally involved in the nightclub fire? 

I've just read a news article about the victims of the fire in Boston-area hospitals; some of these poor people have been severely burned...even beyond recognition.  I can't comprehend what they are going through; it's too overwhelming to try and begin understanding.  I'm not interested, at this point in time, in getting into any "quality of life" debates or the like...I'm simply curious if anyone here has been personally marred by the nightclub fire, if you can give us first-hand updates of it, etc.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2003-02-28 12:44:06

clark

An article by a law professor on the legal implications of the event:

http://www.workingforchange.com/article … emID=14572

#3 2003-02-28 13:45:15

Palomar

An article by a law professor on the legal implications of the event:

http://www.workingforchange.com/article … emID=14572

*Good article.  I saw in Yahoo! headlines that Jack Russell, lead singer of Great White, is seeking immunity in exchange for his testimony.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#4 2003-02-28 14:09:46

soph

It was the club's fault.  The club knew that they were going to use pyrotechnics, said "ok" (on tape, no less), and then when the fire ignited, they fled, while Great White members bravely went back to help those trapped in the blaze.

Besides that, the club was over its legal occupation limit. 

All liability here, in my view, rests on the club.  A week before, a KISS cover band had used pyrotechnics, and Great White had obliged other clubs who had told them not to use pyrotechnics.

#5 2003-02-28 14:27:27

Josh Cryer

Yeah, at first it seemed the club wasn't at fault, but later on it was said that other people had done pyrotechnics there before. But I haven't heard about the tape, soph,where did you hear about that?

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#6 2003-02-28 14:33:57

soph

On the news, forget which station.  I'll try and dig it up online.

#7 2003-02-28 14:48:32

Palomar

Soph:  It was the club's fault.  The club knew that they were going to use pyrotechnics, said "ok" (on tape, no less),

*Hopefully you can find that link/source again.

and then when the fire ignited, they fled, while Great White members bravely went back to help those trapped in the blaze.

*Is that how Ty didn't get out?  Jack Russell said security grabbed him and the other guys, pushed them toward exits; he wanted to go back in and help but was physically barred from doing so.  The last time we see Ty, he's playing his guitar and looking up at the ceiling; and unless I miss my guess, he already knows something's gone very wrong.

Besides that, the club was over its legal occupation limit. 

All liability here, in my view, rests on the club.  A week before, a KISS cover band had used pyrotechnics, and Great White had obliged other clubs who had told them not to use pyrotechnics.

*Yep.  The club initially was saying no, it didn't allow use of pyrotechnics, Great White used theirs in spite of the rules, and 2 other clubs were on camera stating Great White had used pyrotechnics regardless of club rules.  Next day the video of the KISS tribute band, at The Station, is rolling...including the fire-breathing act and pyros (though much lower in size to those used by Great White).  I don't "go clubbing," and have never been much of a partier; I was honestly shocked to see that pyrotechnics are used indoors, in enclosed places like this!  And the ceiling wasn't that high.  Damn.  The first time I saw the video of GW and those pyrotechnics, I thought "No #(!%@ wonder."  So horribly careless; this could have been prevented.

--Cindy

Board footer