New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2023-10-11 13:14:38

tahanson43206

Rights and Responsibilities

SpaceNut, I was surprised to find that we only had one topic in the Forum containing the word "rights" and that one was set up to focus on only one subtopic.

This topic is offered for discussion of the broad spectrum of Rights and Responsibilities of citizens.

While no one lives on Mars today, hopefully there will be plenty of folks living there in the future, and the questions around this topic will be in constant flux.

We do have plenty of examples on Earth to consider, so I'll start off with Post #1 about the UK.

(th)

#2 2023-10-11 13:16:26

tahanson43206

Re: Rights and Responsibilities

Because Calliban recently opened a discussion about Rights in another topic, here is a summary of what may be the UK policy on Free Speech.

Under Article 10 of the Human Rights Act 1998, everyone has the right to freedom of expression in the United Kingdom 1. However, this freedom is not absolute and may be subject to formalities, conditions, restrictions, or penalties as prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society 1. The law allows for restrictions in the interests of national security, territorial integrity or public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, for the protection of the reputation or rights of others, for preventing the disclosure of information received in confidence, and for maintaining the authority and impartiality of the judiciary 1.

It is important to note that while freedom of speech is protected in the UK, there are laws that outlaw hate speech. For instance, section 4 of the Public Order Act 1986 makes it an offense for a person to use “threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviors that cause, or are likely to cause, another person harassment, alarm or distress” 1. This law also includes language that is deemed to incite “racial and religious hatred” as well as “hatred on the grounds of sexual orientation” and language that “encourages terrorism” 1.

I hope this helps!

The above was prepared by Bing, so I don't know how accurate it might be. Corrections are welcome.

(th)

Board footer