New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2023-03-20 17:55:06

tahanson43206

Rxke Postings

Rxke joined the forum in 2003, and contributed over 2000 posts.

He returned recently, or I noticed his return recently ... either way, it is definitely time for a dedicated topic.

Members are welcome to post links to their favorite Rxke posts, or to look for some if you don't already have favorites.

(th)

#2 2023-03-20 18:51:26

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Rxke Postings

I remember from long ago the talks about being able to walk from 1 location to another location in Belgium and that Rxke did not own a vehicle. Which brings me back to the desire to make a solar hybrid vehicle for general use.

#3 2023-03-20 19:29:38

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2

Thanks for your recollection of conversations with Rxke!

I ran a search and came up with a post I've not seen before, which included "walk" and "Belgium ...

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 200#p80200

At the time, Rxke had (apparently) given up his car (to study) but from the post, I gather he didn't see the need for one.

(th)

#4 2023-03-21 10:25:31

Mars_B4_Moon

Good to see old names comeback, he was one of the older posters with many posts and discussion here before me. On private space flight some talked of Branson and Bezos.

an email notification from an old discussion mailed him I think he was subscribed, I also bumped a thread of his on use of Thorium as a readily available fuel source for nuclear reactors.  I know one of the ESA Centres is in Belgium and they also have Astronauts. It is good to see different names from overseas or other culture. Belgium has two nuclear power plants operating Electricity consumption in Belgium has increased slowly.  Django Reinhardt one of the greatest guitarists of all time was a Gypsy Belgian I don't know if people today know his music, they might know Patrick Bauchau who plays villains or Van Damme an action star of the 80s, 90s and early 2000s the movie In Bruges or Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. There have been many thinkers, writers, map makers, scientists Peter Paul Rubens, Auguste Piccard, Georges Lemaître, Gerard Mercator. I think outside of Belgium they are mostly known for Beer, Chocolate, being in a central European political region, it has been known for Baroque painting, music, architecture and beating other European teams in Soccer or Football matches the  Flemish Region and Walloon Region, are divided into provinces. Belgium has a Parliament and a Constitutional Monarchy, the discussion of future government comes up on newmars sometimes and a King or Queen or Emperor does pop up as a topic, the Official languages Dutch, French, German, I believe it has a mixed history with Spain, France, Austria, Netherlands and Rome, Duke of Burgundy in France took control of Flanders and in faith I think Belgium is 60% Christianity with 31% saying No religion, the Belgic Gaul region was a province of the Roman Empire located in the north-eastern part of Roman Gaul perhaps it was once European Pagan Shaman Religion? The original Vision for Space Exploration (VSE) by President George Bush junior talked of manned mission to Mars by 2020, there was also I think discussion on what kind of people would populate Mars, I think back then Rxke believed it was gone in his lifetime but young people might see human colonization and there was discussion what culture would go there. Newmars had discussion on Asteroids, Europa, Titan, and why Space-X would beat the old bureaucracy at NASA....this was a bold prediction as Musk had not succeeded yet and his rockets were blowing up. Then in 2018 Elon Musk's rocket launched a payload Tesla Roadster and its dummy driver, Starman, the successful launch went viral around the world.

In political news I see some politicians want to end Nuclear Energy

Belgian nuclear regulator tells govt not to extend oldest reactors
https://www.reuters.com/business/energy … 023-03-06/

Belgium had planned to exit nuclear energy in 2025

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2023-03-21 10:58:23)

Board footer