New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2022-03-26 20:49:36

louis

Musk speaks truth to humanity.

This is another reason why I am an Elon fan!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … erica.html

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#2 2022-03-26 23:23:05

RobertDyck
Website

Re: Musk speaks truth to humanity.

Musk, 50, who admitted that he's been lonely since the break-up with pop star Grimes, was asked in an interview with why he wasn't passionate about longevity or humans extending their natural lifespan. 

'I don't think we should try to have people live for a really long time,' he said.

'That it would cause asphyxiation of society because the truth is, most people don't change their mind. They just die. So if they don't die, we will be stuck with old ideas and society wouldn't advance.

There's something I have to fundamentally disagree with. He's 50, he should know better. I'm slightly older and still waiting for life to start. He statement basically means I don't get to have a life... ever.

Furthermore, education takes many years. Take the University of Manitoba. A bachelor degree takes 4 years, and if you try to rush it, you will be punished. For a master degree there's 1 year of pre-masters work, then minimum 2 years for the degree itself. Ostensibly you can skip the pre-masters year if you graduate with your bachelor with first-class honours, and if your grades are so high that no one will ever achieve it. And if you get close, the university will drop your grades just to ensure you don't. And ostensibly you could take all the courses for a masters degree in one year, but if you try the student adviser won't let you sign up for any courses. And without the "adviser's" permission, you aren't allowed to sign up for anything. Although 3 years is the minimum, the vast majority of students take 5 years to complete a master degree. Then there's the Ph.D. If you start your university education at age 18, right out of high school, you will be 32 when you graduate. Then there's post-doc work. If you want more than one Ph.D., that takes more time. If you think you can rush anything or skip anything, you're delusional. If you want funding from the National Research Council in Canada, you will only be a senior researcher if your have 3 Ph.D.s, each in a different field. Beginning to understand why one human lifetime isn't enough?

#3 2022-03-27 02:00:12

Terraformer
Website

We already have that problem with boomers refusing to shift (seriously, there has never been a US President from Gen X yet, unless you use an unusually low start date). Perhaps we should begin culling people at seventy.

Or establish a cultural norm of abdication. Say, if you want to be in political office you have to be between thirty and sixty years of age. Minimum age requirements (that are different from the voting age) are not uncommon, so there shouldn't be an issue getting maximum age requirements passed too tongue

On the plus side, longevity means people can't spend their kids inheritance -- they won't have a good idea of how long they can spend it for, so they'll run the risk of running out of money long before dying.

Although 3 years is the minimum, the vast majority of students take 5 years to complete a master degree. Then there's the Ph.D. If you start your university education at age 18, right out of high school, you will be 32 when you graduate.

Eighteen plus eight is twenty six... in what sort of country does a Master degree take longer than a year? Then a four year PhD after that (I disagree with PhDs tbh, they should be granted *after* a successful career to recognise an original contribution, not *taught*).

Maybe this is why Canada, unlike Britain, isn't a research powerhouse.

Last edited by Terraformer (2022-03-27 02:02:58)

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#4 2022-03-27 08:11:22

SpaceNut
Administrator

Generations-wide-table1-250h-500w.png

Associates is roughly 2 years and six to eight years for part-time learners or full time four years to earn a bachelor's degree. With what you have done is show that you can learn and read the content plus test. Mostly to have paper with little real trade knowledge.

After which you are chained to any job that pays so that you can survive and raise a family for that next 20 ish only to awake to not being ready for retirement

#5 2022-03-27 09:18:14

RobertDyck
Website

Canadian Prime Minister is Generation X. Born December 25, 1971 (age 50). Whether he's mature and able to handle the duties of Prime Minister is debatable.

#6 2022-03-27 09:30:44

RobertDyck
Website

Terraformer wrote:

Although 3 years is the minimum, the vast majority of students take 5 years to complete a master degree. Then there's the Ph.D. If you start your university education at age 18, right out of high school, you will be 32 when you graduate.

Eighteen plus eight is twenty six... in what sort of country does a Master degree take longer than a year? Then a four year PhD after that (I disagree with PhDs tbh, they should be granted *after* a successful career to recognise an original contribution, not *taught*).

Maybe this is why Canada, unlike Britain, isn't a research powerhouse.

Eighteen years old, plus 4 years bachelor plus 5 years master plus 5 more years for Ph.D. That's how old? As for taking more than a year for a Master degree, now you understand one of the reasons I criticize the University of Manitoba so much. And why the Maclean's ranks the University of Manitoba as the worst university in Canada and the US. It's a fully accredited university, but of them the worst. But it's the big one in this province, the only one that had computer science or engineering when I was college age, and my parents couldn't afford to send me out-of-province. And when I was college age, the Maclean's list didn't exist yet.

#7 2022-03-28 08:36:41

louis

I don't think so. He was still into face painting when nearly 30.

RobertDyck wrote:

Canadian Prime Minister is Generation X. Born December 25, 1971 (age 50). Whether he's mature and able to handle the duties of Prime Minister is debatable.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

Board footer