New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2022-01-23 15:10:00

tahanson43206

Parenting

The article at the link below is about the parenting style of a reindeer raising people ...

It crossed my mind that what these folks have developed over eons of hard living might work on Mars.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2022 … ket-newtab

One needs that kind of survival attitude. That sort of, 'don’t mess with me' attitude – Tytti Valkeapää

Even for those who still make a living from reindeer herding, life is changing. Climate change is making snow and ice conditions less predictable, and making it harder for the reindeer to find food. Logging is destroying old forests where reindeer find moss to eat. Many reindeer-herding cooperatives no longer gather free-roaming reindeer from afar for the earmarking tradition, but instead keep the calves close to home.

For Valkeapää, the mother of six who married into a reindeer-herding family, the fact that the earmarking ritual takes place during the children's school holidays, helps follow the ancient rhythm. "Sometimes I feel like some people might think my children are lazy if they sleep until late afternoon, but is that really a problem? Perhaps it is just our society’s problem."

And while she is proud that her children are already participating in the family's work, ultimately, even the decision of whether to continue the legacy will be left to them.

"Of course, it is a beautiful thought that our children would carry on herding reindeer. But they get to decide by themselves. You also need to want this, and you do need a certain kind of character to be able to do this," Valkeapää says. Asked what kind of character, she replies: "Well, you know, one needs the confidence and that kind of survival attitude. That sort of, 'don’t mess with me' attitude."

--

Suvi Pilvi King works at the Sámi Archives, National Archives of Finland, and lives in Inari, Finland. She is the co-author of Revitalising Indigenous Languages: How to Recreate a Lost Generation.

(th)

#2 2022-01-23 17:38:43

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Parenting

Sounds like the farms of old to me in that the children did the chores and other farm activity while getting the education at school.
Up before the sun rise and even in the dark if not done.

Board footer