New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2022-01-02 10:36:31

Oldfart1939

Where is Louis? And rehab of older but banned members?

To the Administrator and the Moderators:

We seem to have lost Louis, one of our most prolific posters and thinkers. I see from looking at some of the more recently resurrected threads that we've lost a lot of members through banning.

I didn't always agree with Louis on his favorite topic of Solar energy alone, for use on Mars, but I always tried to be civil and respectful in my responses to his seemingly endless posts on the topic. He was also without peer as a topic starter which kept this forum interesting.

There are several others who we might want to consider granting access to the forum again on a probationary status?

Just thinking out loud, so to speak...

#2 2022-01-02 10:46:38

Mars_B4_Moon

Re: Where is Louis? And rehab of older but banned members?

One of the last conversations I was having with Louis he was calling for me to be banned
perhaps as I was offending Sharia Laws and his Britbongistani Londonsitan Police were calling around to people's homes arresting people for offensive speech

...he's been posting in Free-Chat
http://newmars.com/forums/viewforum.php?id=13
one of those 'Vaccine Diseases' threads last I seen

No idea about the old members, some class me as an older user but there are many who were here before me, and there was a message board going back to the old days of the interwebs in the 90s.  I did go missing for a few years when I lost my bookmarks and the old NewMars forum which was based on the ikonboard crashed, I think a lot of people got banned during political debates. I remember one old user Tom Kalbfus as very political, I didnt always agree with what he said but he also sometimes posted some interesting topics.

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2022-01-02 10:53:19)

#3 2022-01-02 11:13:36

tahanson43206

For Mars_B4_Moon ... picking up on your mention of Tom Kalbus in Post #2 of this new thread ...

RobertDyck recently posted a bit of history about the banning of Tom Kalbus.  You'll find it easily if you look for the word Kalbus and author RobertDyck.

I personally appreciate your taking the time to look at older messages, and to bring some of them back into view when you are so inspired.

I'm getting a daily dose of ancient messages as I run the Post Repair software in 300 post chunks.

Cindy was a prolific contributor in the early days.

(th)

#4 2022-01-02 11:45:06

SpaceNut
Administrator

Some of what you may think is a ban is actually a lock on dormant accounts to prevent access until out reach to the owner has been done to see if they are still committed to making use of the account.

#5 2022-10-10 06:41:34

tahanson43206

In a recent post, Calliban observed that it has been a while since Louis posted in the forum.

A quick check of the Users tab revealed that Louis was last posting in April of 2022.

Over a long career since 2008, Louis posted 7,208 times.

From my perspective, his greatest single contribution (of many) was inspiration of Sagan City, which in turn inspired the My Hacienda topic.

Taking the larger view, again from my perspective, Louis' greatest contribution was stimulating other members to create some of their best writing, in a futile attempt to persuade Louis of some point of technology.

Louis ranks fifth in overall post count, behind RobertDyck, Palomar and SpaceNut

(th)

#6 2022-10-10 08:10:16

Mars_B4_Moon

People might misunderstand but I liked Louis' posts a lot, I have no reason to object to his great ideas despite a personal back and forth drama, maybe if I have a criticism its that posts can get personal and it seems he loved personal pet things like solar power while ignoring the needs for Nuclear in space....I think Mars should have as many back up power ideas as possible including Nuclear and Solar in my opinion Mars can not have too much power so I would not chose one over another. I'm still not sure how they will stop so many Solar powered rover and craft on the surface eventually dying from dust.

Some of his great ideas

'Sagan City - what will be there?'
https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8193

what I liked about Louis posts is there were a great range of ideas from scifi fringe future speculation topics, he thinks good or bad Earth human elements of politics and faith could be exported into space. Space ideas of gods or purity, religion, monarchy expanding into space, he spoke of Democratic principle and Republican Law in Colony, Mosques in Space and islamism spreading to Mars,  Robots and AI becoming helpful in building a dome, he would reference comedy show sketches on taboo subjects like violence, religion and harassment to make a point Monty Pythons 'The Difficult Ones'. Speculated ideas about Capitalism and Communism in space and Culture, music, craft and art on Mars.

Louis followed a range of ideas from space tourism, you got updated a lot on 'Virgin Galactic', Bezos and lots and lots of posts on Elon Musk and Space-X and the Private Sector. Maybe Louis is still around but I do not see him post, he was a critic of Monarch Life, he often criticized his own Prince now King as 'Dim Charles' a monarchy critic which I understand
...did the Mi6 arrest him for comments against the current King?
No I do not believe England is that Orwellian yet
England and Scotland and Wales and France and other places have a rich history with events like fights for the Throne, fight for Democracy, the Parliamentarian victory in the English Civil War, Magna Carta human rights democrtic ideas abolishment of slavery, the bloodlines of Kings and queens, the Commonwealth, the Restoration of the monarchy in 1660  etc I never really liked being around Monarchy, I feel personally maybe more of link more to the people of the North West in England, the old Social Republican workers towns, Anti-monarchists in Britain but its his country or nation or kingdom not mine, that is a different politics and country to me.

Louis looked to the future and proposed many ways in which Mars might trade and
Economic Model for trading inside Space Colonies.

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2022-10-10 08:15:43)

#7 2022-10-10 15:09:58

SpaceNut
Administrator

Louis objected to old topic renewal and kept creating new topics rather than search out 1 of many alternatives for general discussion.

#8 2022-10-10 15:30:37

Calliban

I miss his contributions also.  He did encourage me to think in new ways and to critically examine the practicality of many concepts.  I didn't understand his objection to resurecting old threads.  But for some reason it ticked him off.  We all have pet dislikes.  I am in a particularly grumpy mood today, because I have a broken rib that is swollen and is refusing to heal properly.

Last edited by Calliban (2022-10-10 15:31:34)

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

Board footer