New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-11-19 11:00:17

Palomar

Re: Funny Bones - Giggle it, just a little bit

*Know any goofy statements relative to astronomy, space and space exploration, etc., made by notable people?  Share them in this thread.

Welcome to President Bush, Mrs. Bush, and my fellow astronauts.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle addressing the 20th anniversary celebration of the moon landing, 7/20/89 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)

Mars is essentially in the same orbit... Mars is somewhat the same distance from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle, 8/11/89 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2002-11-19 11:04:10

Palomar

*He's doing all right, getting good grades; the future's so bright he's got to wear shades:

Those same asteroids which promise material riches can be a threat as well.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle, 5/1/90 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)

[Americans will soon observe the 20th anniversary of] Neil Armstrong and Buzz Lukens' walk on the moon.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle confusing the sexual assaulter/Congressman with Astronaut Buzz Aldrin, 7/15/89 Los Angeles Times (7/16/89)

...Buzz Lukens took that fateful step...
-- Vice President Dan Quayle continuing to confuse the sexual assaulter/Congressman with Astronaut Buzz Aldrin, 7/15/89 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)

We are leaders of the world of the space program. We have been the leaders of the world of our... of the space program and we're not going to continue where we're going to go, not withstanding the Soviet Union's demise and collapse -- the former Soviet Union -- we now have independent republics which used to be called the Soviet Union. Space is the next frontier to be explored. And we're going to explore. Think of all the things we rely upon in space today: communications from... Japan, detection of potential ballistic missile attacks. Ballistic missiles are still here. Other nations do have ballistic missiles. How do you think we were able to detect some of the Scud missiles and things like that? Space, reconnaissance, weather, communications -- you name it. We use space a lot today.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle (from `What a Waste it Is to Lose One's Mind' -- the Unauthorized Autobiography)

For NASA, space is still a high priority.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle, talking to NASA employees, 9/5/90 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)

[It's] time for the human race to enter the solar system.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle on the concept of a manned mission to Mars.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#3 2002-11-19 19:56:37

Shaun Barrett

My God!!

I knew Dan Quayle had a few 'roos loose in the top paddock, but this is amazing!

:0     big_smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#4 2002-11-19 21:57:04

Phobos

If there is water, that means there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle, 8/11/89 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)

Well, at least he was prophetic about the water part.  Maybe in a few million years we'll be able to breathe there to.  smile

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#5 2002-11-20 00:11:58

Josh Cryer

Just think, it was bad enough having a Vice President that bad... now we have a President.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#6 2002-11-20 08:57:24

Palomar

My God!!

I knew Dan Quayle had a few 'roos loose in the top paddock, but this is amazing!

:0     big_smile

*Tee hee, yeah.  smile  My favorite quote of his has got to be, "Some day, when man lands on the sun..."

Unfortunately, I couldn't find it at the site from which I took these other quotes.

--Cindy

Board footer