New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2007-03-06 16:53:13

jmwan
Banned

Re: surface temperatures

hello all,

I was wondering if anyone would know where I can find surface (ground) temperature data for Mars.
I know there is a paper out by Spanovich et al. 2006 which give some data about surface and near-surface temps but I am looking for more detailed data.

Could anyone help me?

thanks a lot,
JM

#2 2007-03-06 20:00:10

C M Edwards

I would suggest you surf through the mission websites for each of the various landers which have reached the Martian surface.

For example, The Mars Pathfinder Probe team put together a very good website, which includes meteorological data from the probe's month long stay.

If you want temperature data taken over entire martian years, try NASA's Planetary Data System, where you can download instrument data sets from the various probes.

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#3 2007-03-15 12:13:14

cIclops

Mars Express radar gauges water quantity around Mars’ south pole

15 March 2007

The amount of water trapped in frozen layers over Mars' south polar region is equivalent to a liquid layer about 11 metres deep covering the planet.

This new estimate comes from mapping the thickness of the dusty ice by the Mars Express radar instrument that has made more than 300 virtual slices through layered deposits covering the pole. The radar sees through icy layers to the lower boundary, which in places is as deep as 3.7 kilometres below the surface. 

"The south polar layered deposits of Mars cover an area as wide as a big portion of Europe. The amount of water they contain has been estimated before, but never with the level of confidence this radar makes possible," said Dr Jeffrey Plaut of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena (California), co-Principal Investigator for the radar and lead author of the study.

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

Board footer