New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-06-21 11:19:25

Grypd

Re: Spacesuits - Its about time we came back to them

With a manned mission to the Moon likely to be happening in the next decade and with luck future missions to Mars it means a lot of people running around outside there craft.

Spacesuits from the Appollo age are almost 40 years out of date and our advances in material and electronic science does mean that there will be a lot better systems for our Astronauts to run around in.

http://www.newscientistspace.com/articl … 45.700]New Scientist article on a suit that will do a geologists work for him

This suit will allow geological work to be done even when by a non geological trained astronaut and increase mineral and resource knowledge automatically.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#2 2005-06-21 11:32:14

Fledi

Interesting article, this technique could also be useful for more autonomous rovers in the future.

With all the new light-weight, high-strength materials it will also be possible to make more comfortable suits with more freedom of movement than before.

Or there could also be higher pressure suits, so there is less or even no need for a long depressurization period before one goes outside.

#3 2005-06-21 11:39:27

SpaceNut
Administrator

Yup saw the article on the high tech imaging and computer system. As always right on target for what needs to be solved once a manned vehicle is developed.
The moon direct had a few articles in the past referencing the suits and differeing concepts posted to that thread in the past. Maybe some of those links are still good and apply to this new thread for further discusion.

#4 2005-06-21 11:40:58

Grypd

One of the problems we face in people going to Mars and spending long times in micro G is that bone loss and muscle wastage makes them less strong. If it takes us 6 months to get to Mars and we have used no means to provide a form of gravity then our astronauts will be weakened in the low G of mars and this could prove to be a mission failure point.

One alternative is to provide astronauts with Bionic exoskeletons and with this actually make our astronauts stronger than they are here on Earth. The possibilities for construction are endless.

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns? … wscientist article

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#5 2005-06-21 11:44:42

Palomar

*It took some doing, but I found a couple of previously-posted items via Search.  These two articles from space.com's Astronotes (which is an updated and columnar format -- hyperlink not possible, sorry) were posted by me last year, http://www.newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=277]in this old thread -- Life Support Systems folder.

I rarely repeat info in a post, but this stands out in my mind and thought I'd include it in this thread:

May 14, 2004

Intelligent Clothing for Astronauts

If you’re going out, say, stepping onto Mars, dress smartly.

That’s the view of the Institute of Electronics at Tampere University of Technology (TUT) in Finland. They are weaving a story called the StarTiger2 project - ideas for ‘intelligent’ clothing for astronauts, capable of checking their health while they work in free space and on other worlds.

StarTiger is an acronym for ‘Space Technology Advancements by Resourceful, Targeted and Innovative Groups of Experts and Researchers’

The goal of StarTiger2 is to develop a ‘smart’ prototype suit, containing a physiological monitoring system, explains Eike Kircher, head of the European Space Agency’s (ESA) Basic Technology Research Program.

ESA is spearheading work on the STAR-suit – clothing able to measure all vital health parameters of the person wearing it in near real time and for extended periods of time. Also, the suit design would use intelligent textiles to ensure that it is comfortable, easily washable and long lasting.

The STAR-suit will combine a number of advanced technologies: physiological measurements; sensor, communication and packaging technologies; flexible printed circuit boards and Liquid Crystal Display materials; fabric materials and embedded electronics.

A smart clothing suit, for example, would be ideal for ESA’s long-term space plans that call for human space missions beyond low Earth orbit. The astronautical apparel would be needed to monitor the status and location of astronauts carrying out extra-vehicular activities on Mars."

-also-

From June 15, 2004 Astronotes:

If humans are ever to strut their stuff across Mars, live and work there, radiation protection is a must. One energetic solution to suit design is possible use of anti-radiation fabric already woven into society here on Earth.

Researchers are studying Demron™, originally developed to protect rescue and medical personnel in responding to incidents and accidents involving x-ray and gamma radiation.

Garments made of the fabric are produced utilizing nanotechnology.

Radiation Shield Technologies, Inc. of Coral Gables, Florida, creators of Demron™, notes that the special fabric material is a product of a controlled manufacturing process involving exact molecular configurations needed to block radioactivity.

A study on material choices for protecting Mars travelers was recently published in The Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance. That work pointed to Demron™ as a choice material for space suits that must be lightweight, flexible, and provide the needed radiation protection.

Along with Mars suits, as well as Homeland Security needs for radiological defense, Demron™ is being eyed for use in high-flying commercial airliners.

The material can be made into flight uniforms to combat cosmic radiation exposures in flight – rates that are hundreds of times greater than at ground level. Furthermore, the anti-radiation fabric is a good addition to the exterior of aircraft as paint to protect frequent flyers from cosmic radiation...

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#6 2005-06-21 12:02:21

Palomar

One alternative is to provide astronauts with Bionic exoskeletons and with this actually make our astronauts stronger than they are here on Earth. The possibilities for construction are endless.

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns? … wscientist article

*You're right, this has SO much potential.  :up:

I'm sure lots of people would rather have this option/ability when they become elderly, to maintain as much autonomy and independence as possible instead of having to wait on the assistance of others.  And yes, the injured and disabled, etc.

Don't mean to go off-topic. 

And the health benefits for astronauts -- just for starters.  Wow.  Bionic Astronauts!  Cool.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#7 2005-06-21 14:48:00

RobertDyck
Website

Actually, the Mars Society is hosting a http://www.marssociety.org/convention/2 … ]Spacesuit Symposium as part of this year's Mars Society convention. The symposium will be one whole track on Friday, August 12. The Mars Society Spacesuit Taskforce is hosting the symposium. Dr. Paul Webb, creator of the Mechanical Counter Pressure (MCP) spacesuit will make a 1 hour presentation on a full suit. In 1967 he called it a Space Activity Suit (SAS), I don't know if he'll use his name for it or the NASA name: MCP. We also have confirmation that James Waldie will attend, a representative from the Ames Research Center, and a representative from ILC Dover. Although Hamilton Sundstrand is the primary contractor for current suits and was for Apollo suits, all the soft parts are (and were) made by ILC Dover. The purpose is a professional symposium of leading researchers in development of advanced spacesuits with the intention of advancing development of a suit for the surface of the Moon and Mars.

The presentation schedule hasn't been published yet, so I can't tell you anything more than Dr. Webb's paper. Personally I'm really looking forward to hearing Dr. Webb's presentation and hopefully meeting the man. His ideas are revolutionary and I think are the key to a usable suit for Mars. His 80th birthday was last December, he still has an active medical practice as a physician specializing in diving and decompression, and is still actively researching spacesuit technology and presenting papers, but I have to ask how much longer? My grandparents died of old age at 92 years old, I don't have any idea of his health but if my grandparents are any indication that gives him just 12 more years. I really want to learn from him while I still can.

Blatant advertising: if you're seriously interested in spacesuit development and haven't registered for this year's Mars Society convention https://www.marssociety.org/secure/regi … p]register now, click here.

#8 2005-07-25 07:06:30

srmeaney

I would think the one being pushed at the UTAH HAB (Mars Society) by a young Australian guy is the go. Rather than rely on Air to keep you body intact and under pressure, They are looking at the development of an electrodynamic contraction of the fabric-constricting pressure at the push of a button.-For Mars.

#9 2005-08-18 20:41:42

JonClarke

You are thinking of James Waldie, who works for BAe systems in Melbourne.  He has just finished a PhD at RMIT on a MCP glove prototype, this work was parly funded by Honeywell.  James is also developing a simulated MCP suit for use by the Mars Society, this has been trialed several times at Utah at once at Arkaroola.  Known as marsSkin, the suit is currently at Version 3.1.

The advantages of MCP technology over any other approach to space suit design are so extreme that I think it should be the prime approach to Mars EVA suits.  They offer lower risk, mass, consumable use, volume, and maintainance requirements along with greater flexibility, dexterity, ease of repair and confort.   

Jon

#10 2005-08-18 20:52:54

SpaceNut
Administrator

Thanks JonClarke: we also have another thread as well that the MCP technology was also mentioned in under the HUMAN topic threads.

#11 2005-10-20 01:27:48

noosfractal
Website

Actually, the Mars Society is hosting a Spacesuit Symposium as part of this year's Mars Society convention. The symposium will be one whole track on Friday, August 12.

What was the outcome?  How much for a Mars suit that'll last years?

Fan of [url=http://www.red-oasis.com/]Red Oasis[/url]

#12 2005-10-20 06:59:39

SpaceNut
Administrator

#13 2007-03-06 09:15:51

Mars_B4_Moon

Homemade Suit For Chinese Spacewalk
http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Homem … k_999.html

Board footer