New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-04-29 19:36:13

Anton Kuratnik

Re: How and what to join? - Not really sure about the forum, but...

I looked around the site, and i want to join the society. I want to actively help. But since I'm only 13, there's not much I can do.

My greatest strength is in computers, mostly Web. I know HTML pretty well, plus I know JavaScript. If I need, I can read a few books to refresh my C++ skills and make some program with that. Plus, I know graphic stuff, mostly Photoshop, and some Corel Draw. Not flash, but that can be learned.

My second greatest strength is math, which I know very well for a kid my age. I have been in many comptetions, even went to the state once, but got the 63rd place there. I like precise sciences, like physics (although I don't like that one a lot), chemistry (love it), etc. Of, course, I like astronomy.

Third talent of mine is writing. I write everything - poetry, books (working on a few right now), articles. The problem is that I have to write it over and over again many times until I get something good, especially when writing articles. I also can't keep my interest in one thing for a long time, which means I quickly drop one of my ideas and start working on another one. Get pretty annoying sometimes. BTW, I mostly write fantasy and sci-fi.

Another talent is that I can learn very fast. Maybe not, but at least I'm not slow. I'm bad with my hands, but anything that requires thinking I usually pick up quickly.

One of problems is that I don't have a lot of time, since I have so much stuff that I work on.

And the most interesting thing about me is that I'm the leader of a Russian Monarchist Movement. Started not a long time ago, still working on some articles before I can start inviting people into it, but I already have one "follower".  smile

So, yeah, as the topic's title says, what should I join (ares being closed and all) and how, 'cause I found no way I can do it. Oh, and another question. Do I have to pay for this stuff and how much responsibility I'll have to take if I join.

P.S. Pardon my sometmes crappy english, it's not my first language.

#2 2002-04-29 21:22:29

Phobos

I never met a pro-Russian Monarchist before.  Do you support a Monarchy that invests absolute power in the Tsar/King, or  do you want a type of goverment that has something like a parliament that restrains the power of the Monarch?
Anyways, if you can do just a third of the things you say you do, your very gifted.  I think your English is better than mine and I'm a native speaker!     :0

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#3 2002-04-30 15:05:17

Anton Kuratnik

Personally, I like absolute monarchy, but since even I don't trust the czar enough to give him that power, I probably will try to bring back Monarchy in some modified way, like no parlament, but some kind of a comittee that has no real power, except for 'taming' the czar.

As for the the rest of your post, thank you. smile You didn't answer my question, though, what should I join, like what department or whatever.

[Edit] Whow, lots of typos. Fixing it.

#4 2002-04-30 15:14:01

Adrian
Website

I hope that others on these forums will be able to give you more thorough advice, but here's some to start you off:

First, you should get in contact with the Russian Chapter of the Mars Society; they will definitely be able to give you some help and may have specific suggestions about how you can help with their current projects. To officially become a member of the Mars Society, you do have to pay a small membership fee, but you have no real responsibilities. Indeed, the only responsibilities that you will ever have are those that you choose to take on or accept yourself.

Incidentally, have you browsed around the Mars Society's official homepage?

Second, you should read as much about Mars as you can, within reason. Try and read 'The Case for Mars' by Robert Zubrin, along with other factual books about space and Mars. It's extremely important to have a solid grounding so you know what you're talking about when you tell others about Mars and the Mars Society.

Third, consider giving a talk about Mars to your school or at least talk to your friend about it. Try to convince them why going to Mars would be a good thing (believe me, it's much harder than it sounds). You'll find that you'll learn a lot simply by trying to explain things to other people.

As for actual, practical work, I wouldn't like to suggest anything right now because it's best for you to find something that interests you directly.

Oh - about the monarchist movement: I'm just waiting to see what Clark says about this...  wink

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

#5 2002-04-30 15:51:06

Anton Kuratnik

Just contacted the Russian Chapter. I hope I'll be able to help them. Their site STINKS to high heaven (sorry, but that's true). As for the rest, I can't really see what DIRECTLY interests me... sad

#6 2002-05-01 04:55:51

Adrian
Website

It's a well known fact that all Mars Society sites* are badly designed. You could offer to redesign the Russian site if you're interested, although you should think hard about whether you just want to do the redesign, or whether you want to become the overall administrator and update the links every few days or weeks.

There's plenty of other stuff to get involved in - for starters, check out this list of Task Forces that you can join.

*apart from the ones I design, of course  tongue

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

#7 2002-05-01 13:52:49

Anton Kuratnik

yeah, I looked at that list, but the problem is that I have to pay, and I'm short on money right now. I have planned out what to buy, so probably until august I won't be able to join and then if everything goes fine I'm leaving to a boarding school on Sept. 4th. Won't be able to do much in one month. But, yeah, you're right, the Russian Chapter site sucks and if they accept me I'll ofer them my help.

Board footer