New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#301 2007-02-07 15:55:01

Mars_B4_Moon

Re: Ares I (CLV) - status

Parachute Drop Test  for the Ares1 failed, there is chat on the web  smashed into the ground and was damaged.

#302 2007-02-07 20:31:13

GCNRevenger

Uhhhhh?

Like, gigantic rumor? One line, no link, no nothing?

I am sure there is "chat on the web" about how NASA is going back to Mars to investigate the Face or to the Moon to dig up the Monolith buried there.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#303 2007-02-07 21:56:11

SpaceNut
Administrator

I think the parachute test was on Nasawatch

Ares 1 Parachute Test Fails
Editor's note: Word has it that Parachute Drop #3 for the Ares 1 first stage recovery system has failed. The Drop Test Vehicle that was used reportedly smashed into the ground at Yuma and was destroyed. Stay tuned.

and NSF inregards to the rumor.

Initial testing of the parachute recovery system for the Ares I Crew Launch Vehicle's first stage booster had been going to plan before the failure, which is believed to have occurred last week.

Show me video of it and maybe we will believe them...

#304 2007-02-08 11:58:25

GCNRevenger

NASASpaceflight and NASAWatch = Rumor mongers

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

#305 2007-02-15 22:49:35

cIclops

Development of the J-2X engine, Jim Snoddy Manager MSFC (PDF 8MB)

The Constellation Program selected the Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne J-2X engine to power the Ares I Upper Stage Element and the Ares V Earth Departwe Stage.This paper narrates the evolution of that decision; describes the performance capabilities expected of the J-2X design, including potential commonality challenges and opportunities between the Ares I and Ares V launch vehicles; and provides a current status of J-2X design, development, and hardware testing activities. This paper also explains how the J-2X engine effort mitigates risk by building on the Apollo Program and other lessons lived to deliver a human-rated engine that is on an aggressive development schedule, with its first demonstration flight in 2012.

More about the J-2X than you probably want to know. Lots of details.

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#306 2007-02-18 13:26:42

cIclops

New US and launch schedule (solicitation word file - 16 Feb 2007)

Good news, NASA have pulled the schedule 11 months ahead! IOC is now Oct 2013 instead of Sep 2014

May 2008 Upper Stage PDR   
Nov 2009 Upper Stage CDR   
Sep 2010 MPTA Test Activation   
Nov 2011 Upper Stage GVT Test Activation   
Sep 2012 Ares 2 Mission   
Dec 2012 Upper Stage DCR   
Mar 2013 Orion 3 Mission   
Oct 2013 Orion 4 Mission (IOC)   
Mar 2014 Orion 5 Mission   
Sep 2014 Orion 6 Mission   
Mar 2015 Orion 7 Mission   
Sep 2015 Orion 8 Mission   
Mar 2016 Orion 9 Mission   
Sep 2016 Orion 10 Mission

Notes:
DCR = Design Certification Review
GVT = Ground Vibration Test
IOC = Initial Operating Capability
MPTA = Main Propulsion Test Article

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#307 2007-02-22 05:24:15

cIclops

DESIGN OF AN EMERGENCY EGRESS SYSTEM FOR THE CREW LAUNCH VEHICLE AT LAUNCH COMPLEX 39B - KSC solicitation Feb 20, 2007

The Emergency Egress System (EES) is planned to provide a safe mode of emergency egress from the Crew Exploration Vehicle (CEV) to a safe location via a multi-vehicle, rail system for the flight crew, closeout and contingency crews, and ground operations personnel. The rail system vehicles will have an entry point located on the crew access level of the yet to be designed Mobile Launcher Tower (MLT; ~367 ft. above ground level) and exit point at a safe location a distance of at least 1200 ft. west of entry point at ground level. The Architect and Engineering (A&E) firm will be responsible for the portion of the EES starting at the vehicle loading area on the MLT crew access level and ending at the safe location. The MLT will provide the access to assemble, test, check out, service, transfer to the pad, launch, perform on-pad abort, and post launch securing of the Crew Launch Vehicle/CEV. The MLT will provide structural support for the vertical or near-vertical travel of the EES rails and rail vehicles as well as contain the loading area. Attached is a general preliminary concept of the MLT. The MLT is rolled from the Vehicle Assembly Building to the pad and back for each launch flow. The general requirements of the Emergency Egress System include, but are not limited to: the total egress time from CEV hatch to the safe location for 15 able-bodied personnel shall not exceed two minutes (with 30 seconds allotted for transport from the CEV to the EES vehicle loading area); the system vehicles shall accommodate astronauts in space suits, rescue workers in fire suits and ground support personnel in ordinary clothing; the system must be able to accommodate up to nine incapacitated crew/pad personnel to safely egress to the safe location; the system shall be capable of experiencing two (2) failures and still operate; the system shall remain operational after a total launch pad power failure ...

#308 2007-02-22 06:46:10

SpaceNut
Administrator

The general requirements of the Emergency Egress System include, but are not limited to: the total egress time from CEV hatch to the safe location for 15 able-bodied personnel shall not exceed two minutes (with 30 seconds allotted for transport from the CEV to the EES vehicle loading area); the system vehicles shall accommodate astronauts in space suits, rescue workers in fire suits and ground support personnel in ordinary clothing; the system must be able to accommodate up to nine incapacitated crew/pad personnel to safely egress to the safe location;

That is a really slow time when considering how fast an explosion is.

This is more like a fire drill exercise.

#309 2007-02-22 08:18:47

cIclops

That is a really slow time when considering how fast an explosion is.

This is more like a fire drill exercise.

This system is not designed to protect them from an explosion, only a LAS type system can do that. It's purpose to to get them away from a fire or pending explosion as quickly as possible. AFAIK LAS can be used once they are secured inside the capsule.

#310 2007-02-22 13:54:10

GCNRevenger

And LAS is awfully rough on said crewmen. 15+ G acceleration, albeit for a short time, can't be pleasant.

#311 2007-02-23 18:28:15

SpaceNut
Administrator

#312 2007-02-24 00:49:56

cIclops

Upper Stage Production Request for Proposal - 23 Feb 2007

WASHINGTON - Friday NASA issued a request for proposal for the Ares I launch vehicle upper stage element. Ares I is the launch vehicle that will transport the Orion crew exploration vehicle and its crew and cargo to low Earth orbit. The upper stage proposals are due to Marshall Space Flight Center no later than 1 p.m. CST April 13, 2007.

The request for proposal states the procurement approach for obtaining the upper stage element. The selected contractor will produce the required Ares I upper stage and provide support to a NASA-led design team during the design phase. The contract will provide for the manufacture and assembly of test articles, flight test units, and the operational upper stage elements to support NASA’s flight manifest through 2016. Final manufacturing and assembly will take place at NASA’s Michoud Assembly Facility in Louisiana.

The Ares I upper stage, with a separately procured upper stage engine and a separately procured instrument ring, will provide the navigation, guidance, control and propulsion required for the second stage of the Ares I ascent. The first stage will consist of a single reusable solid rocket booster and motor similar to those used on the space shuttle but with a fifth motor segment attached.

#313 2007-02-24 00:53:11

cIclops

Turbine Pump Assembly Contract - 23 Feb 2007

CLEVELAND - NASA has selected Hamilton Sundstrand Space Systems International Inc. of Rockford, Ill., to design, develop, fabricate, test and deliver engineering models of a turbine pump assembly for the Ares I upper stage thrust vector control subsystem. The cost-plus-fixed-fee contract - a competitive award - has a two-year period of performance with a maximum value of $5,009,388.

#314 2007-02-27 22:58:21

SpaceNut
Administrator

NASA Program Management Council Meeting Mintues and Actions 1 November 2006: ESMD Presentation

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=23473

Ares: Development schedule on the J2X engine is being worked hard but there is concern with requirements lagging. The J2X is in contract definitization; it is being sole sourced.

The biggest worry is just that human rating is something we have not done for a while.

Some interesting quotes...

#315 2007-02-28 04:16:17

cIclops

This seems to be a part of the minutes from an internal meeting held about 4 months ago. There is no link to the original, so it also seems they were not meant to be released. It's not clear why these sections were selected to be published or the context. Perhaps the headline of the link explains why: "ESMD Progress: Not As Solid As Advertised?" - yes yet another anti ESAS/NASA bash. Anyway they are probably completely out of date.

#316 2007-03-13 03:34:14

cIclops

Ares tests to go on despite budget woes

DATE: 13/03/07
SOURCE:Flight International

NASA is pressing ahead with testing for the first stage of the Ares I crew launch vehicle despite ongoing budget concerns. Milestones include ensuring the avionics can withstand shock loads from the 12 pyrotechnic events during the booster's launch.

NASA also plans to restage a drop test of the parachute recovery system for the first stage, after the February failure of a prototype pilot parachute. Tests of the main parachute are planned for June.

A decision is also expected this month on whether the weight of the first-stage forward structure can be reduced using composite materials or if it will be made of aluminium for performance reasons.

#317 2007-03-13 15:18:58

EuroLauncher

more rumors ?

Constellation concerned by the gap in public support for NASA

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/content/?cid=5046

#318 2007-03-14 06:00:03

cIclops

more rumors ?

Given some of the unsubstantiated negative reporting on the Constellation program, it's a good guess that the Constellation team would be concerned. Even when they respond to criticism it's usually ignored, the media don't want to publish good news. The first part appears to be based on Steve Cook's internal "notes" that you have to pay NSF to read, then tacked on is some bad news followed with negative spin about the obvious fact that the Upper Stage preliminary design is changing. All in all a quite incoherent piece of boring journalism.

#319 2007-03-14 08:44:27

cIclops

Companies make pitch for rocket contract

Consortium up against Boeing

BY WAYNE T. PRICE
FLORIDA TODAY

COCOA BEACH - Nearly 75 small-business representatives from across Florida gathered in Cocoa Beach on Tuesday morning, hoping to secure a sliver of work involving the new generation of space travel.

A consortium of three companies -- called Team Ares -- invited the small businesses to the Hilton Cocoa Beach Oceanfront and asked them to make quick pitches on why they should be involved in efforts to build NASA's Ares 1 upper-stage rocket.

Team Ares is made up of Alliant Techsystems, Lockheed Martin and Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne.

At stake is a contract likely worth billions of dollars over several years. Team Ares representatives said space officials want 17.3 percent of the contract work to go small-business contractors.

"That adds up to a lot of money," said Jenifer Scoffield, small-business liaison officer for procurement at Alliant Techsystems, also known as ATK.

Because of the quick turnaround, Scoffield said, "It's not business as usual. We need to make that 17.3 percent."

Team Ares previously held similar small-business seminars in Huntsville, Ala., and New Orleans.

In September, NASA is expected to award the contract for the upper-stage rocket. The rocket will be used to help launch the Orion Crew Exploration Vehicle, successor to the space shuttle. The Orion spacecraft scheduled for flight by 2014.

"There are many options to this contract," said John Plowden, Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne's vice president of program and mission success. "A lot of this work is going to be done at the Kennedy Space Center."

Team Ares is competing against The Boeing Co. for the contract.

#320 2007-03-26 15:15:38

cIclops

a1usplaniz8.jpg
Upper Stage milestones and primary activities - ripped from Revised Instrument Unit Acquisition Update - 20 Mar 2007 (2MB ppt )

#321 2007-03-28 23:13:31

cIclops

Boeing Announces Industry Team for Ares I Crew Launch Vehicle Upper Stage Production

ST. LOUIS, March 28, 2007 -- Boeing [NYSE: BA] will lead a team of suppliers in pursuit of a contract for production of the upper stage for the Ares I crew launch vehicle, NASA's first new human-rated launch vehicle since the space shuttle.

Ares I, which will transport the Orion crew exploration vehicle to low Earth orbit, is an essential element of the nation's space exploration program that will return astronauts to the moon no later than 2020.

Boeing suppliers include:

* Hamilton Sundstrand, a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp. [NYSE: UTX]
    * Moog Inc. [NYSE: MOG.A and MOG.B]
    * Northrop Grumman Corporation [NYSE: NOC]
    * Orion Propulsion Inc.
    * SUMMA Technology Inc.
    * Chickasaw Nation Industries
    * United Space Alliance
    * United Launch Alliance

This team are competing with Team Ares

#322 2007-03-29 23:30:19

gaetanomarano

reading the last year's news, we know the problems of the Ares-I design (too R&D high costs, very long timeline, budget cuts, etc.) that forced NASA to SHIFT the (already delayed) first manned Orion launch from the (planned) "end of 2014" to the mid 2015, then, now (after suggesting MANY possible solutions of these problems in my past articles) I've published the "new Ares-I design" article that follows the same "money and time saving" philosophy: http://www.gaetanomarano.it/articles/023newAres.html

[url=http://www.gaetanomarano.it]gaetanomarano.it[/url]
[url=http://www.ghostnasa.com]ghostNASA.com[/url]

#323 2007-03-30 02:10:55

cIclops

reading the last year's news, we know the problems of the Ares-I design (too R&D high costs, very long timeline, budget cuts, etc.) that forced NASA to SHIFT the (already delayed) first manned Orion launch from the (planned) "end of 2014" to the mid 2015.

No "we" don't know that. What we do know is that NASA testified to the House that the six month delay in Orion/Ares IOC to Mar 2015 is because of funding restraints due to the Continuing Resolution.

NASA testimony to the Senate 15 Mar 2007

The FY 2007 continuing resolution reduced NASA’s overall funding by $545 million from the President’s request for FY 2007. It specifically targeted NASA’s human spaceflight programs with a reduction of $677 M, of which $577 M was taken from the Exploration Systems Mission Directorate. Based on our best estimates today, this will impose a six-month delay in our ability to the Orion CEV and Ares I launch vehicle.

The design of Orion and Ares I continues, it is on schedule and within budget and no problems have been reported that  would affect the IOC date.

#324 2007-03-30 03:16:08

gaetanomarano

the six month delay in Orion/Ares IOC to Mar 2015 is because of funding restraints

that's true, the last added delay is due to budget problems ...but... just think that it's first flight shifted up to three years (from 2012 to 2015) in the year #1 of the ESAS plan...

[url=http://www.gaetanomarano.it]gaetanomarano.it[/url]
[url=http://www.ghostnasa.com]ghostNASA.com[/url]

#325 2007-03-30 07:57:40

cIclops

the six month delay in Orion/Ares IOC to Mar 2015 is because of funding restraints

that's true, the last added delay is due to budget problems ...but... just think that it's first flight shifted up to three years (from 2012 to 2015) in the year #1 of the ESAS plan...

The first manned flight was originally set no later than 2014 with several test flights planned before that date. NASA hoped to close the gap between Shuttle retirement in 2010 and the first flight with crew, but funding problems (continuing resolution, failure to compensate for Katrina and return to flight after the Columbia disaster, micromanagement of the budget by Congress etc etc) have caused delays. These delays have nothing to do with the design of Ares or Orion.

The good news is that the House and Senate space committees fully support extra funding for NASA to close the gap. Given full funding NASA say they can have Orion flying with crew in 2013, earlier may also be possible.

Board footer