New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-12-27 19:09:57

soph

Re: combating the demons - bone weakening, etc.

We currently are researching and developing medications that can stimulate the production of proteins and cells of any type.  If a trip in microgravity causes bone degeneration, there is no reason why we can't create a drug that stimulates bone growth, or calcium production.  At the very least, we could develop drugs that supply the necessary nutrients directly to the body (bioengineered insulin and other proteins already exist). 

This being the case, the issue of microgravity is really being overdone, to put it lightly.  This is really the primary reason, besides cost, that people have said that Mars travel can't be done.  That logic is ridiculous.

#2 2002-12-28 08:04:52

Palomar

Re: combating the demons - bone weakening, etc.

*In a helpful vein, please allow me to say that we've had similar discussions within the past half year or so.  smile  You might want to dig through some old threads and see what you can find that has already been discussed here, and how your views of the topic matter will complement what's been posted previously...and perhaps will stimulate further discussion either in the direction of what's been posted previously or with regards to special points you bring out.  smile 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

Board footer