New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-03-31 19:40:32

Martian Republic

Re: Is there Life on Mars? - Are these picture of Life on Mars?

I think this is kind of far fetched what on these articles, but I thought it was interesting and I’m throwing this out there for comment. This should generate the interesting discussions. Have at it!

http://www.rense.com/general63/surb.htm … 3/surb.htm

http://www.rense.com/general63/marscase … rscase.htm

Larry,

#2 2005-04-19 09:21:22

reddragon
Banned

I agree with your opinion that it's far fetched. This guy puts too much importance on color in what are not necessarily completely true color images. In his processed versions he further enhances the green "vegetation."

One of his images I did find interesting for a somewhat different reason. Here is the link to the original ESA version:

http://esamultimedia.esa.int/images/mar … ...sae.jpg

Zoom in on the crater in the upper left corner. You will see that half of the floor is flat while the other half is not. I do not see this as evidence of current water or vegetation, but it may be evidence of an ancient lake covering half the crater floor. The other possibility is of course a lava flow.

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
              by Douglas Adams

#3 2005-05-09 00:08:23

Weave
Banned

Hello,
I too have seen what looks like fossils and/or live organisms in some of the Rover's raw images. This is the one that intreges me the most is from the raw images from Spirit's sol 372 microscopic images. Image number 10, that is third row second image.
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/ … HTML]Image number 10
To me this really looks like Lichen. If you save the large image then zoom in on the the thing you can see what resembles veins or a pattern on the flat surfaces.
Take a look, if it is not, what the heck is it?
Weave

Lichen: A typical lichen has a three-layered structure. A middle layer containing algal cells entwined in fungal hyphae is sandwiched between two layers of fungal tissue. This three-layered structure is arranged into one of three basic growth forms. Crustose lichens grow as flattened crusts with the bottom layer cemented to the surface of a rock or tree bark. Foliose lichens have a leaflike appearance, with a distinct upper and lower surface exposed to the air. Foliose lichens often form large, flaky patches on tree trunks. Fruticose lichens grow in hairlike, shrubby strands on the ground or hanging from tree branches. Each strand is tubular, with the typical three-layered structure surrounding a hollow core. A common fruticose lichen is old man’s beard, which hangs in wispy clumps from tree limbs and resembles moss.

[size=18:sig_uid]WEAVE[/size:sig_uid]

#4 2006-12-30 21:38:12

itdincor
Banned

I too have wondered about this image.  But, a couple questions.  If conditions are adequate for lichen there, why not more than one?  Also, if this is a mineral growth due to ground water, then also why not more than one?

In any event, insofar as there is but the single unusual feature, we are given altogether too little data to come to any sort of surety.

Naetheless, I must agree with you; it certainly looks like lichen.  But of course, appearances can be so deceiving....  :?

Board footer