New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2006-07-12 23:30:58

flashgordon

Re: one reason nuclear propulsion may be ok'd

because all the other fuels will be dried up . . . nuclear might be so common place that nuclear rockets may make more sence in a generation(human) or two.

#2 2006-07-13 06:44:21

GCNRevenger

There are still several hundred years worth of fossil fuels in the ground, they just won't be as cheap to get to as present sources. If we figure out how to mine clathrates from the ocean floor, we've got perhaps an entire millenia of natural gas. No, we won't be "running out" any time soon, it just won't be as cheap as it is now.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#3 2006-07-13 20:54:38

flashgordon

yea, but that wouldn't exactly be good for the environment(at least for humans).

#4 2006-07-13 21:43:59

GCNRevenger

Why not? You don't believe the environmentalists "oh no an ice age!" now "oh no global warming!" and soon to be "oh no, uh, um, planetary luke-warming?" etc etc do you?

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#5 2006-07-13 21:52:58

flashgordon

roll

not enough smily's!

#6 2006-08-11 14:39:28

publiusr
Banned

It may be that the only way to get space funded is with a project that can serve both--say an LNG carrier with a reactor to get free hydrogen and oxygen for propellant and sell more as a way to sustain spaceflight.

If you want to get humanity into space big time--you cannot use space as an actuall money maker at first. Sell fuel for a profit and put that money--and your free fuel--into big LVs

A state sponsored hydrogen-filled LNG carrier with a reactor might need more room. Large tubular barges in the shape of the Neptune Spar, perhaps... wink

Board footer