New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#101 2005-10-02 06:59:25

Dook
Banned

Re: Why does U.S.A. support Israel? - Finally, I'm Asking

Just because you don't like Sharon doesn't mean Isreal is not a democracy. 

Leaders of a democracy don't always have the best interests of their country at heart but they are representatives of the people.  As you said, Hitler came to power in a democracy.  Sharon is a national hero in Isreal. 

Donald Rumsfeld can't go to Europe either because they'll probably get him for crimes against humanity also.

#102 2006-07-26 16:34:30

Gennaro

-"Why do the U.S.A support Israel?", Palomar asked. "What are we getting out of it?"

-"You really want to know?", asked the white rabbit.

There was a brief moment of silence.

"You have no idea how deep the rabbit hole goes, and 'getting out of it' has nothing to do with it!"

*The white bunny sniffed something in the air, suddenly got a red tint in his eyes, scurried around like crazy, and before you could say blabblemouth his fluffy rear end had disappeared down the deep, musty hole.*

#103 2006-07-27 05:10:57

Palomar

-"Why do the U.S.A support Israel?", Palomar asked. "What are we getting out of it?"

-"You really want to know?", asked the white rabbit.

There was a brief moment of silence.

"You have no idea how deep the rabbit hole goes, and 'getting out of it' has nothing to do with it!"

*The white bunny sniffed something in the air, suddenly got a red tint in his eyes, scurried around like crazy, and before you could say blabblemouth his fluffy rear end had disappeared down the deep, musty hole.*

*Gennaro.  You've resurrected a very old thread...due to the current Hezbollah vs. Israel conflict?  Here's the breakdown as far as I'm concerned:

1.  Hezbollah kidnapped Israeli soldiers.
2.  Iran has openly threated Israel with nuclear weapons (and now we've got Iranians going to Lebanon to help Hezbollah).
3.  Israel struck back.
4.  Hezbollah has taken Lebanese civilians hostage for years (though some [many?] were likely cooperative), including putting missile launchers in 1 room of many civilian homes. 
5.  Hezbollah is not a real army, has and is using underground tunnels to escape in.  Unlike Israel, which has a recognizable army and no cowardly escape tunnels.
6.  Israel dropped hundreds of thousands of leaflets on Beirut and surrounding Lebanese areas early last week, encouraging civilians to flee for safety.  Hezbollah gives Israeli civilians no such advance warning.

I know who I'm supporting in this...and it ain't Hezbollah. 

The real tragedy, as always, are the innocent civilians caught up in the hostilities. 

Another tragedy are some Westerners marching in protest against Israel and seeking sympathy for Hezbollah.  Oh well, lots of (stupid, short-sighted) people were sympathetic towards the Nazi Regime too...   roll

Israel is a sovereign nation recognized as such by the United Nations.  Their enemies should accept and respect that.  But of course they won't because a scapegoat is needed and Israel is a convenient scapegoat for others' inadequacies and failings.

::EDIT::  The most recent major headlines from CNN.com:

Al Qaeda: We will not stay silent in Mideast crisis

Deputy leader Ayman al-Zawahiri issues video
Vows al Qaeda "will not stay silent"

No signs of letup in Israeli-Hezbollah fighting
Israeli bombs hit Tyre after Westerners evacuate
Hezbollah not only militia fighting Israel in Lebanon

That says it all, doesn't it? 

Israel struck Tyre AFTER evacuations.

Of course Hezbollah and ilk like them give civilians NO such courtesy.

Meanwhile Al Qaeda "must" become involved (as if we couldn't have foreseen this).  roll  Well of course!  They just can't let an opportunity to butcher more Jews go by, now can they?

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#104 2006-07-27 06:42:11

Gennaro

Gennaro.  You've resurrected a very old thread...due to the current Hezbollah vs. Israel conflict?

No, I just didn't notice how old the thread was. smile Have no specific opinion about the latest developments in the Middle East reality soap and haven't given the news much attention either. It just goes on and on.

I was actually searching for the thread where you present books you've read, but found this instead.

P.S: Problem with the Israel-Arab conflict is of course that Israel can never claim the moral high ground in that matter. So, in 1917, the Jews were promised a land by Britain which didn't belong to Britain, and spent the next 30 years stealing it from its inhabitants (Muslim and Christian Arabs), despite regular vehement protest. Then they suddenly make it a state of their own (1948). Okay, so the Arabs got pissed. Who could blame them?

#105 2006-07-27 06:56:25

Palomar

P.S: Problem with the Israel-Arab conflict is of course that Israel can never claim the moral high ground in that matter. So, in 1917, the Jews were promised a land by Britain which didn't belong to Britain, and spent the next 30 years stealing it from its inhabitants (Muslim and Christian Arabs), despite regular vehement protest. Then they suddenly make it a state of their own (1948). Okay, so the Arabs got pissed. Who could blame them?

*Maybe it's time the Arabs realized what's been a nation since 1948 is likely going to stay there, and they should get over it?  That'd be the mature response.

How many more decades will Arabs spend resenting what's already many decades old?  The UN recognizes Israel as a nation.

But then it's the Arabs who have no moral or ethical qualms whatsoever about making "martyrs" out of teenaged boys.  How many more lives are they happily willing to sacrifice because of an old grudge?  For how many more decades will they continue tearing themselves apart over an enemy?  Seems a foolish waste of time and energy.

Regardless of its origins, Israel IS a sovereign nation RECOGNIZED by the United Nations.  The Arabs need to grow up and get over it.

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#106 2006-07-27 07:33:40

clark

The Arabs need to grow up and get over it.

bigoted much? Nothing like blanket statements denigrating an entire race.

An interesting point missed here:

Deputy leader Ayman al-Zawahiri issues video
Vows al Qaeda "will not stay silent"
No signs of letup in Israeli-Hezbollah fighting
Israeli bombs hit Tyre after Westerners evacuate
Hezbollah not only militia fighting Israel in Lebanon

it should be noted that Israel was very progressive and restrained- they waited to bomb until after the WESTERNERS had evacuated. Maybe the israel's waited for the NON-westerners to at least finish their morning tea. That is, after all, the polite thing to do.

I think all sides are pretty much wrong, and each side pretty much justified in just about anything they do to each other.

It's not a pretty or optimal solution, but realistically, peace will not come unless the states in the area and isreal come to a settlement of some sort.

Maybe you have to be a guy to really get it, but sometimes you have to let people fight. Sometimes fighting really is the onyl way resolve a dispute. Sad, but true.

#107 2006-07-27 08:32:16

Gennaro

Palomar wrote:

Maybe it's time the Arabs realized what's been a nation since 1948 is likely going to stay there, and they should get over it?  That'd be the mature response.

Well, the Israelis spent 2000 years not getting over it, so why should the Arabs? wink

Seriously though, the UN happening to accept the sneaky takeover of Palestine in the wake of WWII means crap. The Israeli are happy with the UN as long as it does their bidding, but there are loads of UN resolutions Israel has chosen to disregard just because it suits them. They obviously don't respect the UN which allegedly respects them. And the original penetration and takeover of Palestine was still unfair.

I don't get particularly upset about this. People have conquered each others territories since the Stone Age. What irks me is the Israelis won't admit as much. They are conquerors and oppressors, like the rest of them. Who cares if they are democatic? And I simply cannot understand why they've let the Arabs hang on inside their area of power for so long if they cry so much about what a nuissance they are.
Go ahead, deport the Palestinians and dump them in any nearby sandy country, pay the respective governments for a few generations and get over it. With the money collected from the US every year, funding shouldn't be a problem.

What Israel needs to realize is they made this mess. They should also understand that those who live by the sword perish by the sword (or was that living by deception?). The rest of the world have zero reason to come running to their rescue, nor shed a tear if the Arab nations (purely hypothetically speaking, of course) one day managed to wipe them out. So take care of your own business, and don't come whining here.

But then it's the Arabs who have no moral or ethical qualms whatsoever about making "martyrs" out of teenaged boys. How many more lives are they happily willing to sacrifice because of an old grudge? For how many more decades will they continue tearing themselves apart over an enemy? Seems a foolish waste of time and energy.

They don't share our values; it's their culture. I might not be overly impressed by it, but I don't make judgements about what's right for them, provided they don't come and spread their mores around here.

#108 2006-07-27 08:53:16

Palomar

What Israel needs to realize is they made this mess. They should also understand that those who live by the sword die by the sword (or was that living by deception?). The rest of the world have zero reason to come running to their rescue, nor shed a tear if the Arab nations (purely hypothetically speaking, of course) one day managed to wipe them out. So take care of your own business, and don't come whining here.

*But for how long do people continue the hostilities?  A former acquaintance was from Germany, which nation invaded and victimized relatives of mine near Prague.  Should I have held that against her?  No.

People have conquered each others territories since the Stone Age. What irks me is the Israelis won't admit as much. They are conquerors and oppressors, like the rest of them.

I agree.  But how long do mistakes or outright wrongs of the past be punished?  That's the gist of it for me.  Will the Arabs go on (and on and on and on and on) gnashing their teeth and having hissy fits about it 200 years from now?  Arabs control vast expanses of Middle Eastern land; many of them sit on huge oil reserves and are fabulously wealthy.

And they're continually pissed at some tiny non-oil nation the size of a postage stamp, aka Israel?  Seems silly to me.  Too bad for their sons...grist for the mill, as it were.

::EDIT:: 

And I simply cannot understand why they've let the Arabs hang on inside their area of power for so long if they cry so much about what a nuissance they are.

Perhaps an attempt to appease?  Trying to avoid further injury and hostilities?

Israel is really "damned if you do/damned if you don't"...  The world in general is mostly unwilling to give Israel a fair hearing about anything. 

Go ahead, deport the Palestinians and dump them in any nearby sandy country, pay the respective governments for a few generations and get over it. With the money collected from the US every year, funding shouldn't be a problem.

That would only raise the ire of others even more.  sad  Hopefully once the "old guard" passes on there'll be more opportunities for forgiveness and peace.  I hope so. 

But it takes two.  The Arabs need to realize that, instead of having such a superior attitude.

#109 2006-07-27 09:04:17

clark

how long do we have to listen to women complain about their long standing suffering?

how long do we have to listen to anyone with any perceived grief carried over from their parents or their own childhood?

My guess: about as long as people have lungs and air.

meanwhile, when you die for your belief, you are a martyr. when you die for your country, you are a hero.

we all send little boys to die for ideas. we all think our ideas are worth dying for.

and as long as this is true, nothing will ever, ever change.

#110 2006-07-27 11:01:02

Palomar

*This defines the issue perfectly, imo:

Jihad, jihad

"All the world is a battlefield open in front of us," said the Egyptian-born al-Zawahiri,

Yep.  It can't be limited in a specifically contained area...it must involve everyone.  roll

"We will attack everywhere."

He mentions Spain too.  So much for the Spanish PM putting on that Palestinian scarf the other day as a show of support for Muslims.

Israel is pulling back after initially being attacked by Hezbollah.  Meanwhile, Hezbollah's lovely Al Qaeda brothers want to drag as many other people as possible into an ever-widening fight.

Typical.

#111 2006-07-27 11:32:46

Gennaro

Palomar wrote:

But for how long do people continue the hostilities?  A former acquaintance was from Germany, which nation invaded and victimized relatives of mine near Prague.  Should I have held that against her?  No.

Prague has not been in German hands since 1945. Germany has paid and been punished for decades (including, but far from restricted to, paying huge sums of money to Israel). If you make the Hitler salute in Germany you go to jail. If you write the wrong sort of literature (for example, if you deny the holocaust) you go to jail. Germany is hardly a good example.
If the Czech Republic was still part of the Third Reich however, we can safely assume the Czechs would hold a grudge, if history be any guide.

Will the Arabs go on (and on and on and on and on) gnashing their teeth and having hissy fits about it 200 years from now?

This is where I get very pessimistic. Yes, they will continue gnashing their teeth. People in this part of the world are extremely ethnocentric. After all, there is a reason Jews have resisted assimilation into majority cultures for over 2000 years. Mid-East people are clannish. Percieved wrongs are passed down from generation to generation and the honour culture is entirely tid for tat.
If the Jews are to remain in the area, I see no alternative to wide and total geographic separation. But sure, they might just prefer to continue blowing themselves up or launching airstrikes at schools and hospitals forever.   

But it takes two.  The Arabs need to realize that, instead of having such a superior attitude.

Oh, but you forget the inherent superiority of their one true religion, you backward pork-eating Christian. wink

#112 2006-07-27 20:07:58

Commodore

What if I said that this war a proxy between modern Western civilization, and a loose collection of backwards extremist dictators who think their God tells them to conquer us?

What if I said that this conflict would be occuring if Isreal existed or not?

What I told you this was about the fundamental human question of where true faith comes from, within, or externally?

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

#113 2006-07-31 10:48:18

Palomar

What if I said that this war a proxy between modern Western civilization, and a loose collection of backwards extremist dictators who think their God tells them to conquer us?

*I would agree with you.

In one of the most admirably straightforward of Islamist declarations, Hussein Massawi, the Hezbollah leader behind the slaughter of US and French forces 20 years ago, put it this way: "We are not fighting so that you will offer us something. We are fighting to eliminate you."

#114 2006-07-31 12:57:29

Rxke

After what the Israeli government did yesterday and today, I have no respect left.

And don't give me that mistake nonsense, they are able to pick out induviduals in other times, now they're bombing shelters.
And then declaring a ceasfire so people can leave only to start shelling again.

Murderers, not a bit better than Hezbollah.

The whole world in an outrage, America once again acting as if nothing happened. Even after the killing of UN peace forces, typical.

These are civillians that are being killed by the dozens, by a government, not a terrorist organisation. Where's the moral high ground?

#115 2006-07-31 13:22:31

Stormrage

2. Iran has openly threated Israel with nuclear weapons (and now we've got Iranians going to Lebanon to help Hezbollah).

No they didn't. They don't have any nukes nor are they capable of making them. They just started to enrich uraninum. THATS FAR from being able to launch nukes.

5. Hezbollah is not a real army, has and is using underground tunnels to escape in. Unlike Israel, which has a recognizable army and no cowardly escape tunnels.

Cowardly? Lol it is called running to fight another day. The real cowards if there are any is Israel. They air stike civilian areas just so that they call kill a few hezbollah fighters with hundereds of civilains. They are scared of fighting face to face with Hezbollah. Losing 6 soldiers has made them lose their thirst for a ground offensive.

6. Israel dropped hundreds of thousands of leaflets on Beirut and surrounding Lebanese areas early last week, encouraging civilians to flee for safety. Hezbollah gives Israeli civilians no such advance warning.

Israel also destroys any car it sees in the road. xD

I know who I'm supporting in this...and it ain't Hezbollah.

For me It ain't Israel. I want them to run back to their borders

Another tragedy are some Westerners marching in protest against Israel and seeking sympathy for Hezbollah.

Really? Because every protest i have seen wave this flag flagoflebanonofficialbigjs6.jpg

NOT THIS ONE

lbhezg2yf6.gif

There is diffrence. Trust me.

Oh well, lots of (stupid, short-sighted) people were sympathetic towards the Nazi Regime too...

Yeah and the way other countries ignored the plight of the jews in Nazi Germany was crazy. They didn't react until Britian declared war.

Israel struck Tyre AFTER evacuations.

What about the lebanese? Or is the life of a westerner worth more then a life of an arab?

*Maybe it's time the Arabs realized what's been a nation since 1948 is likely going to stay there, and they should get over it? That'd be the mature response.

Israel will never last. No country can last if there is desent with the majority of it's population. The British empire never lasted. Nor will Israel because the palestninian population is growing faster then the Jewish population. They won't be able to keep down so many people forever.

He mentions Spain too. So much for the Spanish PM putting on that Palestinian scarf the other day as a show of support for Muslims.

Your a bigot. We muslims are 1.4 billion in number. If he is putting that scarf on for us. It is probably for the majority fo 1.4 billion people who aren't terrorist.

I don't get your point. Most of the dictators who want to fight are secular. Syria is example.  Saddam was another before he was illegaly toppled. Now men get shot for wearing shorts in streets when 5 years ago teenage girls could go to school with a miniskirt.

And don't give me that mistake nonsense, they are able to pick out induviduals in other times, now they're bombing shelters.

You know they once bombed an apartment block with a 1 ton weapon. Just so that they could kill 1 person. Innocent civilians who did nothing wrong but sleep in their flats died.

btw just so that there isn't any confusion. I beleive that Israel should be demolished and that the palesteninans be given their land back. Pro zionist jews should be kicked out and the Anti-zionist jews who have been living in Palestine before the zionism movement started should stay.

"...all I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by."

#116 2006-07-31 14:15:11

clark

what did one bigot say to the other bigot?

Nothing. They were both mortified over hearing that their children were marrying each other.

I read Shakespeare, so I know how this is all going to end. Or, for my ignorant American brethren, Hatfield and McCoy is aprop.

While we clamor on the moral high horse, expressing indignation of one sort or another, realize that it is all irrelevant.

What I see is a group of people, largely under the impression, for whatever reason is justifiable to themselves, doing what they think they need to do.

We're not a world full of sociopaths for a reason- we wouldn't have much of a world if we all were. Jews can't stop being jewish. Arabs can't stop being arab. Those who expect otherwise, well, we see the results now.

Things will be better once a few more (on either side) are silenced. thin the herd as it were. Then the rest of us normals can get back to the business of being passive-aggressive with our animosity.

All of you who pretend to be horrified, I bet you still eat. I know I do. Think about that when you get up on your pedstal and choose a side decrying the loss. Oh the humanity, oh my god, the travesty!

fakers.

#117 2006-08-01 15:15:39

Stormrage

All of you who pretend to be horrified, I bet you still eat. I know I do. Think about that when you get up on your pedstal and choose a side decrying the loss. Oh the humanity, oh my god, the travesty!

Just because someone is horrified doesn't mean they can't eat. I saw a picture of holocaust of a man eating a human ear when the americans liberated his camp. Yet i still went home and had a nice meal. That still didn't mean i was horrified.

#118 2006-08-01 17:14:48

Josh Cryer

I managed to catch a rather interesting video on Google Video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid … 3278181614

Not sure about their "analysis" (since they're unabashedly pro-Israel) but the source for their clips ( http://www.memritv.org/ ) is quite disturbing indeed. Even if those clips are representative of 1% of all their media, it's still quite unsettling.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#119 2006-08-01 19:31:17

Stormrage

I was someway through it until i noticed it was from Honest Reporting. I didn't want to watch anything from an Orthodox Jewish group. Has they would naturally be biased.

Also the Middle East Media Research Institute did put me off slighly. They did after all have "the continuing relevance of Zionism to the Jewish people and to the state of Israel"

#120 2006-08-03 09:19:51

dicktice

After reading the foregoing: All I've got to say is--it's all due to religious faith propaganda, and I say to hell with it.

#121 2006-08-03 10:42:31

Palomar

*Hmmmm...seems this thread could use some good vibrations [suggested reading to follow song]:

Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup,
They slither while they pass, they slip away across the universe
Pools of sorrow, waves of joy are drifting through my opened mind,
Possessing and caressing me.

Jai guru deva om

Nothing's gonna change my world,
Nothing's gonna change my world.

Images of broken light which dance before me like a million eyes,
They call me on and on across the universe,
Thoughts meander like a restless wind inside a letter box they
Tumble blindly as they make their way
Across the universe

Jai guru deva om

Nothing's gonna change my world,
Nothing's gonna change my world.

Sounds of laughter shades of life are ringing
Through my open mind inciting and inviting me
Limitless undying love which shines around me like a
million suns, it calls me on and on
Across the universe

Jai guru deva om
Jai guru deva om

big_smile  Thank you George, John, Paul and Ringo.

And now for the suggested reading:  Pages 628-629, Psychology and Religion:  West and East by Carl G. Jung, from The Portable Jung.  See what he says about agnostics.  tongue

--Cindy  smile

#122 2006-08-03 10:58:40

clark

And now for the suggested reading: Pages 628-629, Psychology and Religion: West and East by Carl G. Jung, from The Portable Jung. See what he says about agnostics.

Not much if it only one page.

The only thing an agnostic is sure about is that when you die, your soul goes somewhere. They are never certain where, but they are certain it goes somewhere, wherever somewhere might be.

#123 2006-08-03 11:13:38

Rxke

*Hmmmm...seems this thread could use some good vibrations

In the middle of the night; RIAA knocking on Cindy's door...  :twisted:

#124 2006-08-03 20:03:57

Josh Cryer

I was someway through it until i noticed it was from Honest Reporting. I didn't want to watch anything from an Orthodox Jewish group. Has they would naturally be biased.

Also the Middle East Media Research Institute did put me off slighly. They did after all have "the continuing relevance of Zionism to the Jewish people and to the state of Israel"

That's why I mentioned http://www.memritv.org/

Analysis' might be skewed, but knowledge can be very useful, just watching the clips alone will suggest at the bare minimum that it's not what we'd like to think. Why doesn't the western media call out these middle eastern states for publishing anything anti-person on the networks (often on state sanctioned programming, etc).

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#125 2006-08-04 16:58:04

Commodore

After reading the foregoing: All I've got to say is--it's all due to religious faith propaganda, and I say to hell with it.

Are you being intentionally ironic?  lol

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

Board footer