New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-10-08 13:44:33

Seaerlas
Banned

Re: Has anyone else seen these lakes?

These look like prime real estate...

2waterlakes80k5ub.jpg

5086watercloser2yt.jpg

#2 2005-10-17 13:25:00

Belinda

Water liquid at Mars' atmospheric pressure?!! This is major stuff in contradiction of what I've learnt as an undergrad are basic laws of science.. Since they took the images, - have you asked NASA/ JPL/ MSSS etc. to comment?

#3 2005-10-17 13:48:36

John Creighton
Website

Water liquid at Mars' atmospheric pressure?!! This is major stuff in contradiction of what I've learnt as an undergrad are basic laws of science.. Since they took the images, - have you asked NASA/ JPL/ MSSS etc. to comment?

Maybe it is a CO2 fogg

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#4 2005-10-17 15:52:09

Palomar

*Seems to me they're legit photos with layperson/peoples' interpretation of what the features might be.

Some expanses of sand on Mars do look like water; even down to the ripples.

The assertion of "forest" on the bottom photo's comment strip is a giveaway that this is merely someone's fanciful thinking.  It's the southern polar region.  When dunes begin to thaw there is a corresponding darkening of the soil which can look like bushes, trees (as seen from above), etc.

As for the "lakes"?  Very likely are expanses of sand.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#5 2005-10-25 12:03:24

REB
Banned
Website

There are a few spots on Mars (deep in the Hellas Basin is one of them) where the temperature and pressure are high enough for liquid water to exist at the surface. In Mars dry air, this water would quickly evaporate. A large lake might last awhile. At night it would freeze, and it would probably stay frozen most of the year.

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#6 2005-11-13 14:24:32

David Anthony Ricketts

We still have to wait for further details from Mars.
It is a slow process, there could be frozen liquid water on Mars.
They could be an illusion of the sand surface.
Or as recent information has shown there was or still is vast quantities of flowing sulfuric acid lakes.
Untill further studies are made we will just have to speculate.

#7 2005-11-13 15:18:47

John Creighton
Website

I noticed something odd about the second picture. If we look at the area in the second picture that looks like a lake we see that there is an area of it that seems to be sunken down from the rest of the “Lake”. Clearly, this wouldn’t happen in liquid water, as water would be more or less flat. I think it is even odd for sand as you would think the winds would also blow the sand around until it is more level.

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#8 2006-06-16 02:38:35

greengirl
Banned

Wow....those are NOT lakes. All you have to do is look carefully at the shading to see that they are just depressions.....and as for 'trees'...I don't think I can even start. You realize how huge these features actually are?

Board footer