New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-12-14 11:16:49

soph

Re: combinations?

i have seen a lot of different ideas about propulsion here.  it seems like many of them would have great benefits, in different areas.  is it possible to combine different engines within a launch vehicle?  pulse propulsion to me seems great for short acceleration bursts, while ion drives, if im getting this right, are good for maintaining a long distance speed with low fuel usage.

#2 2002-12-16 11:19:38

mauk2
Banned

To restate this in more basic terms:

Due to material strength limitations, there exists an inverse relationship between Isp and thrust.

Therefore, it makes sense to use a high-thrust, low Isp drive for some phases of a flight, and a low-thrust, high Isp drive for other phases of the flight.

This makes perfect sense, as long as the thrust-to-weight and dead mass issues can be made to behave.

#3 2002-12-16 13:58:34

soph

thanks, thats what i was getting at  wink

Board footer