New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2006-03-03 07:55:03

Palomar

Re: The Tomatosphere

And Heinz aboard the ISS

*I've decided to post this here because of this particular:

Heinz has ventured to space previously via a program called Tomatosphere, sponsored by Heinz Canada. Tomatosphere - a research project that involved more than 6,000 classrooms of students from grades 2 through 10 across Canada, the United States and several other nations - sent a half-million tomato seeds into space and then returned them in August 2005 on the space shuttle Discovery in order to learn whether seeds exposed to the harshness of outer space could still germinate and grow. This year, students will grow tomatoes from these seeds.

I don't recall having read of this before...perhaps a memory slip.

Entire article is interesting.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2006-03-21 04:09:36

canalbuilder2

Re: The Tomatosphere

It sounds like the start of one of those classic '50s B-movies.

Killer Tomatoes From Outer Space
Starring Bella Lugozi

Board footer