New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-12-11 11:24:55

Palomar

Re: Those Darkish Areas On Mars

*On one of my office walls I have an up-close dual image poster of Mars [both hemispheres]; the planet's size [diameter] in this poster is probably 14 inches across.

Very noticeable on this very up-close and crisp photograph are patches of very dark soil -- almost black.  On photos taken further away from Mars, or with lesser resolution, these areas appear as dark tannish-brown areas.

Why is the soil so dark on some areas of Mars?  It's very pretty, though; with the orange and dark brown/black coloring, Mars seems ready for Halloween.  wink

Just wondering.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2002-12-11 13:01:56

Phobos

Those dark areas are vast abodes of lush vegetation being fed by the massive irrigation canals that obviously exist due to current observations.  Unfortunately it appears that the poor Martians have to extract all of their water from the poles as all other areas have become arid and threatened the Martians with extinction.  Well, that's what Perceival Lowell thought anyway and if it's good enough for him it's good enough for me. smile

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#3 2002-12-11 13:19:10

Palomar

Those dark areas are vast abodes of lush vegetation being fed by the massive irrigation canals that obviously exist due to current observations.  Unfortunately it appears that the poor Martians have to extract all of their water from the poles as all other areas have become arid and threatened the Martians with extinction.  Well, that's what Perceival Lowell thought anyway and if it's good enough for him it's good enough for me. smile

*Lol!  smile 

Any takers on the dark soil coming from volcanic ash?

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#4 2002-12-12 02:00:42

Shaun Barrett

Hmmm, I hadn't considered volcanic ash.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the dark areas are assumed to be wind-scoured basaltic rock, while the brighter reddy-orange bits are regions of accumulated sand and dust.
    Maybe I've got it wrong ... but it's something to do with wind-blown dust, I know that much!

I'd much prefer Phobos and Percival to be right, though!
                                     tongue

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#5 2002-12-12 12:32:41

Palomar

Hmmm, I hadn't considered volcanic ash.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the dark areas are assumed to be wind-scoured basaltic rock, while the brighter reddy-orange bits are regions of accumulated sand and dust.
    Maybe I've got it wrong ... but it's something to do with wind-blown dust, I know that much!

I'd much prefer Phobos and Percival to be right, though!
                                     tongue

*Since I started this thread I'm going to give myself the liberty of veering off course a bit:  Shaun, I'm curious as to how you came to know about the Mars Society?  If you don't mind.  smile

--Cindy

#6 2002-12-12 21:39:54

Shaun Barrett

I don't remember the exact sequence of events but I've been a subscriber to "Mars Underground" newsletter for a number of years. I think they made reference to The Mars Society now and then. But what finally did it was seeing Bob Zubrin talking about Mars on a T.V. documentary and describing the aims of the society he'd founded.

I was becoming disillusioned with The Planetary Society because of their apparent lack of interest in getting a colony on Mars much before I'd be needing spoon-feeding at 'the home'!! Dr. Zubrin's enthusiasm stood in stark contrast to that attitude and I came to admire him for it.

Although I still support The Planetary Society, because I believe you have to put your money where your mouth is, The Mars Society is where I place my faith at present.
    They're going places ... I hope!
                                                  smile

And thank you for asking!

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#7 2002-12-12 23:00:27

Phobos

Even though Cindy didn't ask any of the rest of us to share how we stumbled onto the Mars Society I think I'll share anyway. smile  To tell you the truth I don't even remember.  I probably found it while doing a search for Mars colonies or something.  Anyway, I agree that if I wasn't a cheap skate I'd rather join the Mars Society than the Planetary Society although they do good work to.  The Mars Society just seems more hellbent on getting people into space which is good in my opinion.  I hope the ghost of Novamarsollia doesn't haunt me for eternity for suggesting such a horrible thing! :0

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#8 2002-12-13 13:56:06

Palomar

Even though Cindy didn't ask any of the rest of us to share how we stumbled onto the Mars Society I think I'll share anyway. smile  To tell you the truth I don't even remember.

*I first saw an ad for The Mars Society in the May 2001 issue of Sky & Telescope; the front cover had a nice glossy photo of Mars, which prompted me to purchase it.  I knew The Mars Society couldn't be a sci-fi fan club; at least, I've never seen one of those advertised in that magazine.

--Cindy

#9 2002-12-13 14:51:50

dicktice

I got tired of the ASU Themis "Image of the Day" handouts together with descriptive blurbs, and how "great" the results were that Odyssy was  getting...and just stumbled on the Mars Society webpage. I'm hooked, so long as I get responses to my offerings. Like a thirsty man in the desert!

Board footer