New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2006-02-13 21:23:33

RIZ4ROCKET
Banned

Re: Vice-President Cheney shoots man in face

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn … 856911.htm

Y'know, in any other accident involving firearms, the Police are called immediately to investigate.

One of the first things Law Enforcement wants to know is if alcohol was involved or not.

There's "Big Play" being done on the fact that the press were not informed of the accident for 24 hours.  Only they press is playing it like the White House has somehow "betrayed" them on a personal level; like they OWED it to them as a professional courtesy, and now they (the press) has been "snubbed".

I wonder if there isn't a more concrete reason why the press (or anyone else, perhaps) was not informed.

Maybe they needed to give the Vice-President time to sober up.

roll

#2 2006-02-14 06:19:35

clark

I prefer to believe that the VP was stone sober and deliberately shot the man.

I prefer to believe that Cheney felt that being Vice President of the mightest nation on Earth doesn't mean a damn thing unless you personally get to shoot a man.

It must be hard, day in, day out, ordering others to torture and kill. Cheney strikes me as a 'hands-on' kind of guy.

Besides, I prefer to believe that Cheney is trying to set a good example for our country. Afterall, he shot a lawyer. And I believe that is a good place to start. Bill White, excluded, of course.  tongue  lol

#3 2006-02-14 18:34:05

Commodore

You know, at first I think Cheney kept it quiet because he was honestly embaressed by violating one of the cardinal rules of upland bird hunting.

But now I think he's just milking it to let the world see the White House Press Corp lose their last shred of impartiality and sanity by throwing a temper tantrum on national TV. lol

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

#4 2006-02-14 21:12:11

RIZ4ROCKET
Banned

Listening to AM talk while driving home today I heard the rabid neo-Clone railing against the "Liberal Media"'s mindless attack on our "Honorable" Vice-President.

Y'know, when a lowly Mexican Immigrant drunkenly drives his 1984 Monte Carlo (the one with the green primer-colored door) into a pedestrian, another vehicle or a house, we Texans understand clearly why he runs away before the cops show up.  Fleeing the scene of a crime is a Texas Tradition.

Funny how Neo-Clone's deny our Texan's cultural heritage as soon as it suits them, and drunkenly align themselves with the very class of people they claim to be protecting us against.

Next, I wonder about the Secret Service.  These are Licensed Law Enforcement Officers, hand-selected for their integrity.  Seems to me that there would have been a few of them near the person of the Vice-President throughout the day of the incident.  These Federal Officers ought to be relied upon to relate the truth of the days events, with particular attention to be paid to the significant detail of whether or not the Vice-President and/or the members of his hunting party had been hitting the Wild Turkey while shooting other birds.

Given that the Vice-President is a "heartbeat away from the Presidency" (flawed though that heart may be), I would think that armed Conservatives drunkenly discharging firewarms near the person of the Vice-President would be considered a Risk to National Security, and should warrant the Secret Service's intervention.

Did Federal Law Enforcement Officers aid the flight of a drunken Vice-President, so as to avoid the state of his (possible) inebriation from being made known (and prosecutable) ?

Furthermore, given the degree to which the President has relied on Executive Privilege in order to maintain the appearance of National Solidarity with regard to the War in Iraq, I wonder if the President will also be able to use this loophole to prevent the complete (or at least knowable) details of this incident from being made public.

I find it remarkable that not even Homeland Security (with all their wire-tapping power) can keep these Powerful and Wealthy Conservative Republicans safe, not even from each other.

#5 2006-02-15 07:54:31

Dayton Kitchens

Come on everyone. 

It was clearly an accident.   Accidents happen.   Not necessarily anyones fault.

And it isn't like the guy was hurt very bad.

#6 2006-02-15 09:27:31

Austin Stanley
Website

Come on everyone. 

It was clearly an accident.   Accidents happen.   Not necessarily anyones fault.

And it isn't like the guy was hurt very bad.

While I agree it was an unfortunate accident, I don't think this can be called a minor injury.  Apparently he suffered a heart-attack due to pelts being lodged close to his heart.

Of course, if you are willing to take a face-full of bird shot to prove it doesn't hurt, I'm sure that can be arranged lol

He who refuses to do arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense.

#7 2006-02-15 13:28:54

Dayton Kitchens

Come on, the guy is already 78.   How much worse off can he  be? 

I'll never understand the hatred for Vice President Cheney.

#8 2006-02-15 14:04:10

clark

You are well on the way to building sympathy with these statements.

Apparently it's not so bad to shoot old men with a shotgun.

#9 2006-02-15 14:19:29

Earthfirst

Nope, it is just being christen. Old men make easy targets because they are slow.
Brids are fast, the VP just wanted to mount the old lawyer head in his den, with all his other hunting trophys.

I love plants!

#10 2006-02-15 14:57:43

RIZ4ROCKET
Banned

Maybe Cheney thought the old man as an Al-Quaeda operative ?

#11 2006-02-15 15:44:09

clark

The Buck-shot stops here.

#12 2006-02-15 15:54:13

Rxke

@RIZ: lol heehee, didn't make the link myself, but so obvious, orange clad, gun toting guy, BINGO!

@clark:  lol

#13 2006-02-16 01:09:10

Dayton Kitchens

I didn't think that Quail hunters in Texas were required to wear orange vests.

#14 2006-02-16 02:49:06

Rxke

(AP):

Each of the hunters was wearing a bright orange vest at the time, Armstrong told reporters at the ranch about 60 miles southwest of Corpus Christi.

Not required maybe, but I'd bet his entourage (ie. security) made sure they were wearing them.

#15 2006-02-16 07:41:08

SpaceNut
Administrator

Every NRA course on gun use tells its class that you do not shoot at what you can not identify.... I would imagine since he is not being shot at himself that any previous military training would be also very simular...

#16 2006-02-16 13:48:56

clark

Let it never be said that Cheney is a straight shooter with the American public.

#17 2006-02-16 16:55:00

Commodore

Thats not entirely fair. We still don't know him he actually hit the bird he was aiming at.

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

#18 2006-02-16 20:35:04

clark

A bird in the hand is worth a winged lawyer on retreat!

#19 2006-02-16 21:49:06

RIZ4ROCKET
Banned

CNN has been running the same story every 20 minutes about the "secretive" nature of the Vice-President.  For all the "liberality" of the mass-media, this is a obvious move to "get ahead of the curve" by pre-explaining Cheney's unwillingness to immediately submit himself to Police questioning after shooting his own friend in the face.

"He's just like that, you see.  And always has been."

So instead of an analytical approach to looking for explanations for a certain incident, we are instead invited to dwell on the idiosyncratic personality characteristics of the Vice-Perpetrator.

Also, the release of the report condemning the Federal response to the Katarina disaster is another blatent tactic to distract attention for a more topical issue.

#20 2006-02-19 23:41:21

BWhite

Cheney shoots man, the musical version - its an audio file.

Enjoy!

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#21 2006-02-22 02:19:25

RIZ4ROCKET
Banned

Despite my ravings, apparantly I am having little impact.  A recent poll on CNN says that less than half (@ 43%, if I remember correctly) believe that the Vice-Perpetrator had something to hide regarding the gun accident incident.

#22 2006-02-22 06:21:36

clark

Despite my ravings, apparantly I am having little impact.

From the mouth of babes.  lol

Board footer