New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2006-01-26 17:42:07

Commodore

Re: Martian THOR - Proposed 2011 Impactor and Orbiter

"THOR" Mars Mission To Seek Underground Water

by Staff Writers
Tempe AZ (SPX) Jan 26, 2006
A new, low-cost mission concept to Mars would slam a projectile into the planet's surface in an attempt to look for subsurface water ice.

"I'm interested in exploring mid-latitude areas of Mars that look like they're made of snow and ice," Phil Christensen, the project's principal investigator, told SpaceDaily.com.

Christensen, of Arizona State University, and colleagues at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, are proposing a mission called THOR – for Tracing Habitability, Organics and Resources – as part of NASA's Mars Scout program.

Like last year's Deep Impact mission to comet Tempel 1, THOR aims to ram a projectile at high speed into the surface of Mars while a host spacecraft remains in orbit and observes the impact and its aftermath. If approved by NASA, the mission would launch in 2011.

Christensen said he originally had conceived of a mission to the Martian mid-latitudes, because "there are lots of gullies there that look like they are rice in ice, possibly even glaciers."

His idea was to attempt to land small probes in at least several locations to examine the surface, "but landing is difficult and expensive." After Deep Impact's success, however, "this light bulb went off. We could launch a projectile, dig a deep hole, and observe the ejected material."

Christensen estimates that a projectile of sufficient size could blow a crater at least 30 feet deep in the Martian subsurface. Along with ground water, the impact could excavate organic compounds. The mission will also look for methane in the atmosphere, which Earth-based telescopes and other Mars spacecraft already have detected.

THOR would comprise an impact projectile and an orbiting spacecraft. The projectile would aim for an impact site somewhere between 30° and 60° latitude, either north or south.

"In many areas of Mars' middle latitudes, we see tantalizing evidence of dust-covered layers of snow or ice," Christensen said. "THOR will aim for this material." The suspected ice-rich layers were deposited during the past 50,000 to 1 million years, as the Martian climate changed due to orbital variations.

Christensen said the mission should cost about $450 million, including the launch vehicle. He said NASA probably will receive about a dozen other Scout Mission proposals and should choose the winning designs sometime this summer.

"The THOR mission plans to use a straightforward, low-risk approach to reach the Martian subsurface," said JPL's David Spencer, study lead engineer for THOR. Spencer is the former mission manager for Deep Impact.

"With such a large target region on Mars, delivering THOR¹s impactor will be less challenging than the Deep Impact comet encounter," Spencer said.

This is a good opertunity to include some capability from the axed Telecommunications Orbiter. Also it'd be really cool to aim it within a safe observeable distance from the MSL so that it could take front row seat data from the impact and recovery, and sniff around ground zero.

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

#2 2006-01-26 22:39:10

SpaceNut
Administrator

I agree but where will the money come from when Nasa is reigning in projects already in the red. Such as the asteriod cere recently. Maybe they can piggy back this mission with the ongoing cere's to further each along.

#3 2006-01-27 09:21:50

Rxke

"The THOR mission plans to use a straightforward, low-risk approach to reach the Martian subsurface," said JPL's David Spencer

Low-risk? :shock:  Tell that to my Martian Brethren!

It is time for a revolt!

I am kidding, but nontheless, quite interested what the Reds think about this?

#4 2006-01-30 10:07:41

Palomar

I agree but where will the money come from when Nasa is reigning in projects already in the red. Such as the asteriod cere recently. Maybe they can piggy back this mission with the ongoing cere's to further each along.

::sigh::

Maybe a piggyback mission is possible...more likely it is not.  Ceres is a long distance from Mars, being in the Main Asteroid Belt.  What sorts of celestial mechanics and formulae are involved?  Don't know.  The positions of Mars and Ceres within their orbits might be considerably far apart, which a piggyback mission couldn't accomplish.

SpaceNut, NASA cannot possibly do every mission NOW.  I wish they could, but it isn't feasible (funding, time, expenses for current missions).  Like it or not, a bit of patience is in order; anything else is unreasonable.

(THOR) will also look for methane in the atmosphere

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#5 2006-01-30 20:43:08

SpaceNut
Administrator

Another source for the THOR Spacecraft to Hammer Out Huge Crater on Mars

low-cost mission—budgeted at 450 million U.S. dollars—is designed to capture a first glimpse of subterranean Mars

Board footer