New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2006-01-23 22:27:43

PurduesUSAFguy
Banned

Re: Status of the RS-83?

I know it has been mentioned several times that a lighter RS-68 with a regenerative engine bell, especially since there seems to be problems streamlining the RS-25 (aka SSME) for expendable use and airstart.

I know that during the days of SLI Rocketdyne was working on an enhanced version of the RS-68 for resuability dubbed the RS-83. From what I gathered it had a regenerative nozel, and turbopumps that were designed for reuse as well as acess ports?

Does anyone know how far they got on this engine development? Would it be able to be revived for VSE if nasa comes to it's senses and stops pursuing the J2-S?

#2 2006-01-27 16:43:53

publiusr
Banned

I can't anser your uestion about the big engines99but J2 seems to be the winner for the stick99and CEV looks to use the simpler, more reliable hypergolics now.

More and more like Apollo everyday.

#3 2006-01-28 08:59:34

GCNRevenger

I assume that all projects under the SLI umbrella have been canceld some time ago. The USAF is still working half-heartedly on a sucessor to SSME for booster applications last I knew, but that isn't in the cards on "short notice" like this.

For TheStick, it really does come down to the SSME or the J-2S it seems. If NASA can't figure out how to make a simplified version to make the big HLLV economical, then they have even less reason to try and use it for the TheStick, especially since they're building the uprated SRB and J-2S anyway for the heavy lifter.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

Board footer