New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-11-15 16:29:47

Palomar

Re: Water Could Stay *Liquid* On Mars

But according to this article, there's a catch:

*It's gotta be salty

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2005-11-15 17:09:13

John Creighton
Website

That is quite interesting. I am surprised it is so recently that we have discovered or at least relearned something as basic as the conditions of when water evaporates.

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#3 2005-11-16 09:23:45

Rxke

What I thought lacking about the experiment is that they didn't do it over the whole temperature rang Mars' surface can experience. It would be interesting to know how much evaporation/sublimation occurs up to 23-27 deg C....

Let's hope for a follow-up

#4 2005-11-16 09:38:32

Palomar

What I thought lacking about the experiment is that they didn't do it over the whole temperature rang Mars' surface can experience. It would be interesting to know how much evaporation/sublimation occurs up to 23-27 deg C....

*Hmmmmm...that's a good point.

There are so many photos (both color and b/w) from the MERs, their wheel tracks, in which the soil does look very damp.

"These brine solutions enable water to stay liquid at colder temperatures. If you expose these brine solutions to cold temperatures, they can exist for a very long period of time."

For example, a cup of water placed outside in the middle of summer will evaporate much quicker than the same water on a mid-winter day.

Yep.

And the article mentions the "blueberries," but IIRC where Oppy currently is it seems there are no "blueberries" and it seemed (again IIRC) the scientists were
surprised at their sudden absence in that region.

We really need to send astronauts there.  MERs are great, but it's taking too long.  wink 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#5 2006-01-20 13:31:55

REB
Banned
Website

And the article mentions the "blueberries," but IIRC where Oppy currently is it seems there are no "blueberries" and it seemed (again IIRC) the scientists were
surprised at their sudden absence in that region.

I think I found some Blueberries
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/ … 4L6M1.HTML

Notice the large Blueberries at the top middle right of the picture. So far, Blueberries have been scarce in this area. Maybe this is a transition layer between the blueberries layers and non-blueberry layers. Also notice the nice Cobra-Head.

That whole layer deservers some closer attention.

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#6 2006-01-20 13:33:51

REB
Banned
Website

D'oh! I got the quote and my posting backwards. That is what I get for not doing this in a while.

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

Board footer