New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2004-11-02 21:31:51

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Beagle II - inquiry

We also can not rule out damage due to the solar storm that occurred in that same time frame.

#27 2004-11-04 07:42:49

Palomar

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/beagle2-04n.html]Beagle 2:  Evolution

*Next proposed mission, hoping for Mars landing in 2009.  "...two identical craft, broadly similar to the earlier craft..."

Sorry, I don't like the name of the mission; sounds like a movie sequel.  Seems like an undesireable connotation as well (as in "previous bad luck"). 

Well, good luck of course if it goes ahead.  (Change the name!).

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#28 2004-11-04 14:00:01

SpaceNut
Administrator

I am wondering if it would be more cost effective to have just the lander hitch a ride with the mars Reconnaisance Orbiter to be launched next year.

#29 2004-11-04 14:44:48

Palomar

I am wondering if it would be more cost effective to have just the lander hitch a ride with the mars Reconnaisance Orbiter to be launched next year.

*That'd probably be too soon, wouldn't it?  The impression I got from the article is that B2:E is still just a hoped-for plan with no actual construction of the landers even started yet.

However, there was an article posted months ago (somewhere at New Mars...needle/haystack) wherein the possibility of hooking up with a future US mission has been raised by UK scientists -- "hitching a ride" via NASA.  I'm all for it.  :up:  Joint endeavor would be great.

Not sure if NASA is game...last I knew, there was "no reply."  Hopefully discussions are still on the table and options are open.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#30 2004-11-04 14:54:46

Stu
Website

However, there was an article posted (somewhere at New Mars...needle/haystack) wherein the possibility of hooking up with a future US mission has been raised by UK scientists -- "hitching a ride" via NASA.  I'm all for it.  :up:  Joint endeavor would be great.

Not sure if NASA is game...last I knew, there was "no reply."  Hopefully discussions are still on the table and options are open.

Sadly, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of Beagle 2 v2 - or any other Beagle probe - hitching a ride to Mars on a NASA probe. Colin P put too many noses out of joint with comments he made about the rovers (along the lines of "The rovers are just toys, we'll do the real science") to beg any favours off NASA. In fact, as I understand it, he put so many noses out of joint at ESA too that there will be, shall we say, "some resistance" to allowing a Beagle on any Mars-bound European probe. Personally, as much as I hate to admit it, I think the best the Beagle team can hope for - unless they hitch a ride on a Russian probe, or find private launch funding - is contributing a Viking-type life detection instrument package to any future European Mars Lander element of the Aurora program.

Stuart Atkinson

Skywatching Blog: [url]http://journals.aol.com/stuartatk/Cumbrian-Sky[/url]

Astronomical poetry, including mars rover poems: [url]http://journals.aol.com/stuartatk/TheVerse[/url]

#31 2004-11-04 15:01:26

Palomar

Colin P put too many noses out of joint with comments he made about the rovers (along the lines of "The rovers are just toys, we'll do the real science") to beg any favours off NASA. In fact, as I understand it, he put so many noses out of joint at ESA too

*Eeeeeeewwww.  Oh boy.  sad  I take it he's the UK version of Dr. Jeffrey L. Bell? 

::sigh:: 

Too bad some people don't study diplomacy and tact at college/university.  Might come in handy (keep your words soft and sweet, for you may EAT them!).

--Cindy

#32 2004-11-05 05:52:49

djellison

No way, no how.

Mass / volume / time constraints make it a no no from an engineering point of view.

Not to mention, Colin P has become the laughing stock of most of the space industry

Doug

#33 2004-11-05 11:13:08

SpaceNut
Administrator

It appears that Beagle will be revived or at least renecarnated. Interesting switching from bouncing balls to air bags for landing.

Scientists lift veil on Beagle 3

_40488451_beagle3_info_416.gif

#34 2004-11-05 12:11:24

remcook
Banned

who's going to pay for it, that's the question

#35 2004-11-16 04:17:42

GraemeSkinner
Website

No way, no how.
Mass / volume / time constraints make it a no no from an engineering point of view.
Not to mention, Colin P has become the laughing stock of most of the space industry

I agree that there's not enough time to get B3 (I won't call it by B2 Evo...) ready for next year, MRO will be too far advanced by now to add things like B3 properly.
As to Colin P being a laughing stock I'd have to disagree, just because he was enthusiastic about the prospects of a probe he spent a great deal of time and energy on he becomes a laughing stock? Has the space industry lowered itself to the school playground level now?

There was a young lady named Bright.
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day
in a relative way
And returned on the previous night.
--Arthur Buller--

#36 2004-11-16 05:49:39

Palomar

As to Colin P being a laughing stock I'd have to disagree, just because he was enthusiastic about the prospects of a probe he spent a great deal of time and energy on he becomes a laughing stock?

*Based on what I've read here by others, Colin P has been referred to as a laughing stock for dissing the MERs as "just toys" and the counting-chicks-before-they've-hatched brag "we'll do the real science."  Never a wise thing to do.

Has the space industry lowered itself to the school playground level now?

*Maybe Colin P could answer that.  And one particular retired American scientist I could think of (just to let you know I'm not picking on Europeans or Brits).

--Cindy

#37 2004-11-16 06:06:08

GraemeSkinner
Website

As to Colin P being a laughing stock I'd have to (just to let you know I'm not picking on Europeans or Brits).

I did not see it as a USA vs Brit, since the failure of B2 some British astronomers/space pundits have taken to using CP as a target for humour which is annoying, perhaps he did speak out of turn - but I'd like to see one person that has never done that. I'd like to see B3 go ahead on its merits not stopped because of peoples attitude to one member of its team.

Graeme

There was a young lady named Bright.
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day
in a relative way
And returned on the previous night.
--Arthur Buller--

#38 2005-08-16 07:58:36

SpaceNut
Administrator

Well with the successful launch of the MRO and the fact that it has high resolution cameras as part of instrumentation package it is hopeful that it will be spotted.

[url=http://www.miltonkeynestoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=415&ArticleID=1115941]Beagle puzzle may be solved
THE final resting place of the ill-fated Beagle 2 could be known with the blast-off of a NASA mission to the Red Planet.[/url]

Prof Colin Pillinger says if they could see the wreckage and whether the parachutes and air bags were deployed it could help the European Space Agency's planned return to Mars.
"It would answer a lot of questions for future missions," said the Prof.
The chances of spotting the Beagle are slim, it is about the size of a garden barbecue and the MRO's camera can only zoom in on objects the size of a dining table and above.
But debris and damage to the Martian surface could make any potential target much bigger.

#39 2005-12-20 07:48:00

Palomar

Beagle 2 "found"--?

*Another update.  Has it been nearly 2 years already?  Hopefully lingering questions will be answered.

--Cindy

Board footer