New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#101 2005-11-29 08:55:03

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: NASA 2006 Budget

Is the 2006 year budget in jeopardy? Government Accountability Office (GAO) Says NASA Is Wasting Your Tax Dollarsby the millions according to GAO reports and Congressional testimony.

NASA has so far refused to respond to the reports generated by the GOA and as well appears to have refused to give us an on-camera interview or to even answer written questions put forth by the GOA. But would not the testimony before the Senate and congress full or subcomittees been suficient and why is the GOA not invited to them in order for them to get there answers?

Of course some of this is stemming from the use of the airplanes used by Nasa officials that have there family on the flights and this is causing some of the accounting issues of what are these planes really costing the tax payers.

#102 2005-12-09 11:09:18

SpaceNut
Administrator

: Douglass: NASA Needs Resources to Repair Hurricane-Damaged Facilities

Rebuilding and repairs to two hurricane-damaged NASA centers in Mississippi and Louisiana should not be shortchanged when Congress makes budget decisions for next year, AIA President and CEO John Douglass said.

NASA suffered nearly $1 billion in damages to the Stennis Space Center in Hancock County, Miss. and the Michoud Assembly Facility near New Orleans from hurricanes Katrina and Rita. The agency requested $760 million in the Fiscal 2006 budget, but the Office of Management and Budget asked for just $325 million. That sum would be included in a supplemental appropriations bill that is not slated to be discussed for six months.

If indeed Nasa facility sustain a 1 Billion dollars worth of damage, why would you ask for less.....

#103 2005-12-15 11:20:46

SpaceNut
Administrator

USAJOBS working for America official job site of the United states Federal Government

The particular jobs as for Nasa on this search returned page. Please note the salaries.... of $100,000 plus. I will be lucky if I earn this amount in 3 or 4 years time.. no wonder Nasa's budgets are so high.

#104 2005-12-15 16:32:22

John Creighton
Website

USAJOBS working for America official job site of the United states Federal Government

The particular jobs as for Nasa on this search returned page. Please note the salaries.... of $100,000 plus. I will be lucky if I earn this amount in 3 or 4 years time.. no wonder Nasa's budgets are so high.

If you want top people you have to pay top salaries.

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#105 2005-12-15 16:42:40

GCNRevenger

: Douglass: NASA Needs Resources to Repair Hurricane-Damaged Facilities

Rebuilding and repairs to two hurricane-damaged NASA centers in Mississippi and Louisiana should not be shortchanged when Congress makes budget decisions for next year, AIA President and CEO John Douglass said.

NASA suffered nearly $1 billion in damages to the Stennis Space Center in Hancock County, Miss. and the Michoud Assembly Facility near New Orleans from hurricanes Katrina and Rita. The agency requested $760 million in the Fiscal 2006 budget, but the Office of Management and Budget asked for just $325 million. That sum would be included in a supplemental appropriations bill that is not slated to be discussed for six months.

If indeed Nasa facility sustain a 1 Billion dollars worth of damage, why would you ask for less.....

Okay, thats it!

WHERE did they come up with such a huge figure to fix some buildings? I want to know where all that money would go, and if they just picked a billion dollars out of a hat because "it was a nice round figure."

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#106 2005-12-15 21:38:38

BWhite

Does this letter ask for more money for NASA? Full funding for the orbiter flights needed to finish ISS AND full funding for accelerated CEV/CLV development?

As you prepare your FY 2007 budget request for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), we strongly urge you to ensure the Space Shuttle program receives the full funding necessary to complete the entire assembly of the Space Station and, in turn, the first steps of your Vision for Space Exploration.

and this

We also urge you to maintain full funding for the expedited development of the CEV/CLV. Enabling exploration beyond low-earth orbit is a critical element of your Vision. We believe that this plan for going beyond low-earth orbit is bold and forward-thinking, and keeps with the American tradition of leadership in exploration and discovery.

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#107 2005-12-15 22:17:55

GCNRevenger

*Crosses his fingers that NASA is setting up Congress to put up or let Griffin cut the ISS*

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

#108 2005-12-15 23:14:52

BWhite

*Crosses his fingers that NASA is setting up Congress to put up or let Griffin cut the ISS*

Yup. My thoughts exactly.

If Congress ponies up another $5B to finish ISS and fly CEV/CLV meeting Griffin's current schedule, well the US government has spent more foolish $5B on other occasions.

= = =

Strong bi-partisan support. May not be a perfect statement from a space advocacy perspective but its pretty good.

I blame Mike Griffin.   wink

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#109 2005-12-16 07:45:17

SpaceNut
Administrator

Yes Nasa is looking for more than the 4% that has been initailly chartered for then of which they are looking to get 9% instead.

Of course there are those that are putting forth the idea that retiring Atlantis would close the budget deficit for the up coming years. This only puts more of stress on the remaing shuttles by doing so and actually does not lessen the gap but could actually increase it by forcing overtime hours to keep the shuttles to the launch quantity scheduels to complete the ISS.

Here is the current space shuttle processing report

If anything they should stop the major overhaul of Endeavour if they are looking to save money.

#110 2005-12-16 09:25:25

BWhite

Yes Nasa is looking for more than the 4% that has been initailly chartered for then of which they are looking to get 9% instead.

Of course there are those that are putting forth the idea that retiring Atlantis would close the budget deficit for the up coming years. This only puts more of stress on the remaing shuttles by doing so and actually does not lessen the gap but could actually increase it by forcing overtime hours to keep the shuttles to the launch quantity scheduels to complete the ISS.

Here is the current space shuttle processing report

If anything they should stop the major overhaul of Endeavour if they are looking to save money.

Its the political equivalent of playing chicken.

If Griffin gets another $6B ($1.5B per year for 4 years) then in 2010 maybe the entire increased amount can be rolled into exploration.

I recall a transcript from about 2, maybe 3 or 4 years ago where Griffin told Congress that $18B or $19B was the right number for the annual budget for an exploration budget. That seems to be what he is after.

#111 2005-12-16 11:13:30

GCNRevenger

If NASA is forced to prop up the ISS post-Shuttle to the tune of $3Bn (maybe $4Bn), and it takes about $7Bn to "run" NASA and do the science/aeronautics bit, then yeah.

#112 2005-12-16 11:25:28

SpaceNut
Administrator

House Science Committee Conference Agreement Reached on NASA Authorization Bill

The final version of the bill includes most of the provisions from both the House and Senate bills.  The bill directs NASA to carry out programs in human space flight, aeronautics, space science, earth science and microgravity research, and it endorses President Bush's Vision for Space Exploration. 

The bill authorizes about $17.9 billion for NASA in fiscal year 2007 and about $18.7 billion in fiscal year 2008 - significantly more than provided for the outyears in the Administration's fiscal year 2006 budget request.

Major provisions of the bill include:

Requires that at least 15 percent of the spending for the International Space Station (ISS) be used for microgravity research not related to exploration programs.

Requires multi-year plans for aeronautics, science, facilities and workforce, and prevents layoffs (Reductions in Force) before March 16, 2007.

#113 2005-12-16 11:45:52

BWhite

House Science Committee Conference Agreement Reached on NASA Authorization Bill

The final version of the bill includes most of the provisions from both the House and Senate bills.  The bill directs NASA to carry out programs in human space flight, aeronautics, space science, earth science and microgravity research, and it endorses President Bush's Vision for Space Exploration. 

The bill authorizes about $17.9 billion for NASA in fiscal year 2007 and about $18.7 billion in fiscal year 2008 - significantly more than provided for the outyears in the Administration's fiscal year 2006 budget request.

Major provisions of the bill include:

Requires that at least 15 percent of the spending for the International Space Station (ISS) be used for microgravity research not related to exploration programs.

Requires multi-year plans for aeronautics, science, facilities and workforce, and prevents layoffs (Reductions in Force) before March 16, 2007.

Okay, this will be snarky, but it is just too funny to pass up:

House Science Committee Chairman Sherwood Boehlert (R-NY), the lead House conferee, said, "This bill is a true compromise, and it shows what we can accomplish when everyone is willing to work together.

Heh!

Yeah, lets compromise and just pay for all of it!  Not that I am complaining, mind you.   wink

#114 2005-12-19 07:44:33

SpaceNut
Administrator

Hidden within the budgets of the coming year and of last hypersonic flight of the x43 series vehicles have proceeded even thou it does not fit within the vision. Even when the most recent mach5 flight powered by jet fuel was just achieved.

Senator Jim Talent Puts Hold on Important NASA Legislation

#115 2005-12-21 14:59:55

publiusr
Banned

A larger X-43 could be placed atop the Stick. Remember, the abort test for 2008 will be at Mach 6. Stage a smaller solid atop that with a larger hypersonic boilerplate--and you have an excuse to put that aeronautics money into Stick construction.

#116 2005-12-21 15:02:55

publiusr
Banned

I'm just glad Congress is becoming more pro-space. You should have seen Barney Frank go ape. He really showed his behind.

At least we don't have to worry about Proxmire anymore, having done us all the great favor of going toes up.

#117 2005-12-21 17:11:14

GCNRevenger

The massive thrust of TheStick is way more powerful then any X-43 subscale vehicle would ever need. The Shuttle SRB is, by a signifigant margin, the most powerful rocket engine ever developed by man.

#118 2005-12-22 08:25:29

SpaceNut
Administrator

Some more for thought: Congress Approves Sen. Hutchison's NASA Authorization Bill

Bill outlines national space exploration policy, requires completion of ISS.
The legislation authorizes NASA for Fiscal Years 2007 and 2008, establishes a policy objective of uninterrupted U.S. spaceflight capability and requires completion of the International Space Station (ISS).  It authorizes $17.9 billion in Fiscal Year 2007 and $18.7 billion in Fiscal Year 2008 in NASA appropriations funding.  It includes language to ensure NASA completes a balanced science plan and requires a report to Congress every two years.

Sort of figured congress would go there on the ISS issue...

Good that Nasa will have more funds but lets get something done other than paying for nothing with regards to actual flights....

#119 2005-12-30 15:51:23

publiusr
Banned

At least NASA won't starve. I must say that I am pleased with Congress for once.

#120 2006-01-02 00:52:30

MikkelR
Banned

We also urge you to maintain full funding for the expedited development of the CEV/CLV.

Does anyone know the official plan for the accelerated CEV development? Apparently NASA have one, i did not know that.

#121 2006-01-14 02:43:53

EuroLauncher

thanks for the links

#122 2016-02-13 23:19:42

SpaceNut
Administrator

Fixed another topic that was filled with shifting and artifacts.....

Found this topic elightening to the changing road map and direction that Nasa takes to accomplish a simple task, filled with numerous redirection and cancellation as well currently restarted programs that we cancelled....

Board footer