New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2005-10-16 22:16:54

Siegfried
Banned
Website

Re: Planetary Ring-structure Space Station

This is a sort of wild idea I got from several sources.  It would be a planet-encircling ring, a space station, that would be connected to the planet by eight or so elevator hubs.  On the equator, there would be a train system at the base of these, circling the  planet on the ground, for easy transportation to and from the nearest hubs.  The ring itself would have a system of trains that did the same, with most stopping at relatively close stops while the other, "Express" trains making stops only at the elevator hubs.  This ring would be stationed in geostationary orbit around the planet, at a certain distance for reasons I will explain below.  The people inside the ring would be also have gravity, because of the centrifical force of the ring rotating faster than the planet  is at the equator (it has to rotate faster to keep up with the rotation of the planet).  Thus, the people inside would be held tight against the outside wall of the ring, which would be nearly a half of a kilometer to a kilometer thick, allowing multiple floors.

The planetary ring must be at a certain distance from the Earth, because humans need a certain amount of centrifical force to create the desired 1 G of artificial gravity.  The distance of the ring from the planet's equator would affect the velocity of rotation in the ring.  The velocity of rotation in the planet would also affect this.  So, for the ring to have an amount equal or close to 1 G, the ring would have to be at the proper distance to multiply the rotation speed of the planet to the point where the centrifical force would be that of on the planet.

F=V^2/R, where F=force, V=Velocity, and R=Radius of ring.
As for the conversion of the resulting value of force to G, that is an unkown.

To find out how to find the distance from the planet to the ring to result in the force of 1G in the ring, you would need to use the equation:

F=V^2/R, and convert F into G and make the other two values equal one G:
G=V^2/R
So, G x R = V^2
G x R/V = V^2/V

I've got to go.  I'll come back and finish this.

"Doesn't an old thing always know when a new thing comes?"--Spender, [i]The Martian Chronicles[/i]

[img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a250/Siegfried1126/IWantYou.jpg[/img]
The Empire: Be All I Can Force You to Be!

#2 2005-10-28 16:34:41

publiusr
Banned

Re: Planetary Ring-structure Space Station

Here is a nice site:
www.spaceislandgroup.com

Board footer