New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#126 2005-09-14 12:41:09

publiusr
Banned

Re: Falcon 1 & Falcon 9

They also got Zubins Ares yikes

#127 2005-09-14 13:01:52

GCNRevenger

Huh? Ares?

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#128 2005-09-14 13:17:49

publiusr
Banned

Look at the shuttle derived chart here:
http://www.astronautix.com/lvfam/shuttle.htm

Now click on Zubin's Ares and you will get this instead:
http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/ares.htm

So there are three Falcons and two Ares.

#129 2005-09-14 13:34:34

GCNRevenger

What are you talking about? There is only one actual Ares design, and has nothing to do with Elon Musk or the Falcon series of rockets.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

#130 2005-09-16 13:09:10

publiusr
Banned

I'm talking about how we see people running out of ideas for names; three Falcons, two Ares, etc.

It could make research confusing for newsmen who cover space stories--and could lead to even worse reporting on space issues. Most newscritters aren't that bright to begin with.

#131 2005-10-04 13:04:40

SpaceNut
Administrator

SpaceX sets date

SpaceX has scheduled its first launch of the Falcon I low-cost booster for 31 October from Kwajalein Atoll in the Pacific, carrying the US Air Force Academy’s FalconSat-2 space plasma research satellite into low Earth orbit.

#132 2005-10-04 19:35:54

J.J. Moesker
InActive

FALCON = Force Application Launched from the CONtinental US.

lol, I know, it's definetly a stretch as far as acronyms go.

Isn’t it somewhat ironic that Microcosm, a direct SpaceX competitor, is also developing a launcher under the AF/DARPA FALCON project? smile Microcosm doesn't get the attention spaceX does, yet they are a pretty big name in de space industry. Not the least due to their publication of 'SMAD' which is somewhat like the space mission engineering bible.

With both feet on the ground you won't get far.

#133 2005-10-07 09:55:54

publiusr
Banned

Go figure.

#134 2005-11-03 13:33:02

SpaceNut
Administrator

Tunnel 9 Completes Vehicle Testing

The Arnold Engineering Development Center's Tunnel 9 facility in White Oak, Md. is playing a crucial role in the ongoing Falcon program, with the completion of mission-critical testing of the Hypersonic Technology Vehicle 1.
The Falcon initiative is a joint Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency and Air Force program. The objective is to develop and demonstrate hypersonic technologies that will enable the capability to execute prompt global reach missions.

The ultimate capability is envisioned to entail a reusable Hypersonic Cruise Vehicle capable of delivering 12,000 pounds of payload a distance of 9,000 nautical miles in less than two hours.

According to DARPA officials, the joint program's goal is to develop and validate in-flight technologies that enable both a near-term (2010) and far-term (2025) capability to execute time-critical, prompt global-reach missions, while at the same time demonstrating affordable and responsive space lift.

Ok so they will suceed in making the x43 project into a functional sprinter to allow for quick bombing runs.

#135 2005-11-03 19:10:55

noosfractal
Website

SpaceX sets date

SpaceX has scheduled its first launch of the Falcon I low-cost booster for 31 October from Kwajalein Atoll in the Pacific, carrying the US Air Force Academy’s FalconSat-2 space plasma research satellite into low Earth orbit.

October 25, 2005: The target launch date for the Falcon I maiden flight is now late November to early December from our island launch complex in the Kwajalein Atoll.  All systems will be ready for flight by the end of this week with the exception of Merlin qualification, which we are extending by four weeks for added surety.

http://www.spacex.com/updates.php
_

Fan of [url=http://www.red-oasis.com/]Red Oasis[/url]

#136 2005-11-03 21:01:25

SpaceNut
Administrator

Had seen this in passing but what was the disclosure for the delay of launch.

What Falcon brings to the table once there ships are proven is what the lockheed and Boeing have discontinued in there earlier products in the atlas series and of the delta as well. These old units were costing more for the military in comparison to the newer larger lift units still in production today. Thou IMO the are way to expensive still for any body but the government, military use.

#137 2005-11-07 11:35:08

SpaceNut
Administrator

The Darpa falcon small QuickReach satellite booster drop test while it passed under our radar, we did make note of a simular test as done by tspace as ho hum, kind of so what by other members. The military however saw the phase 2A in a different light.

Airlaunch Selected For Contract Continuance By DARPA on Phase 2B of the Falcon program,
Valued at $17.8 million for a one-year effort.

"In Phase 2A, AirLaunch rapidly designed a prototype rocket, integrated a mock-up with an unmodified C-17 aircraft, and successfully executed a drop test of the hardware.

Phase 2B will focus on additional risk reduction and maturing the launch vehicle design and concept of operations."

So why the challenge?

U.S. Air Force challenged nine U.S. competitors to develop a small launch vehicle that can carry small satellites to orbit for no more than $5 million per launch based on a rate of 20 flights per year. In mid-2004, AirLaunch and three other contractors were selected for Phase 2A.

#138 2005-11-07 17:14:17

GCNRevenger

Why can't the AltSpacers' seem to do anything besides shoot their mouthes off and drop mockups from airplanes?

#139 2005-11-07 20:06:54

noosfractal
Website

Why can't the AltSpacers' seem to do anything besides shoot their mouthes off and drop mockups from airplanes?

They're just being careful.  The first launch has to go perfectly or those whose faded laurels were threatened will gleefully tear them apart.

When NASA is axed as part of the current administration's self-immolation, the AltSpacers will be able to hire NASA's best and brightest for 50 cents on the dollar, which should speed things right along  smile
_

#140 2005-11-08 13:35:32

C M Edwards

When NASA is axed as part of the current administration's self-immolation, the AltSpacers will be able to hire NASA's best and brightest for 50 cents on the dollar, which should speed things right along  smile
_

One of the great myths of the modern age is that everyone on the government payroll is personally overpaid.

I'm not sure I'd work for someone paying half of what NASA offers for the same job.

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#141 2005-11-08 13:38:04

SpaceNut
Administrator

Welcome to the state of NH where you can do just that, with regards to unionized jobs versus other employers that do not have unions in there shops.

#142 2005-11-08 14:14:06

noosfractal
Website

I'm not sure I'd work for someone paying half of what NASA offers for the same job.

Yes, a lot of talent will be lost which is tragic.  I hope someone is putting together a plan to try and keep the top teams together - although usually the best people leave as soon as they see which way the wind is blowing.
_

#143 2005-11-10 14:41:01

publiusr
Banned

Because that's all those blowhards know how to do.

#144 2005-11-19 21:58:18

noosfractal
Website

November 18, 2005: On Friday, November 25 at 1 p.m. (PDT), the Falcon 1 countdown to launch is expected to reach T-Zero.

http://www.spacex.com/updates.php
_

#145 2005-11-26 18:41:26

noosfractal
Website

Current T-Zero for Falcon 1 is 7pm (PST) this evening (Sat Nov 26).

Out of the Cradle is liveblogging the event ...

http://www.outofthecradle.net/archives/ … ging-here/

#146 2005-11-26 20:05:55

Grypd

The launch was scrubbed. This was partly due to problems with the liquid oxygen and bad weather. They had increased the launch window by two hours but it would have been close to the end of this extra window before they where ready to go and the weather was coming in.

The plan is now for a potential sunday launch.

Then again Spacex is being extremely careful about this launch as we all can see it is make or break time for them certainly in what is percieved capability.

Good luck to them.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#147 2005-11-27 04:23:04

Rxke

Scrubbed to somewhere in december.

I guess it was the right thing to do. Don't rush it.

#148 2005-11-27 07:02:03

GCNRevenger

They are going to have to fly the thing eventually though

#149 2005-11-29 07:39:13

SpaceNut
Administrator

Some would call these little gliches just another learning lesson for the alternate spacer's, while others would see this as just another I told you so in that you can not do rocketry on the cheap.

Propellant problem delays launch of new rocket

As Grypd noted there were a couple of reasons for the scrub. After a series of propellant and computer problems when Controllers found a vent valve was incorrectly set to the vent position, allowing liquid oxygen to boil off and escape. The Lox is used to cool the bottles of helium, which is used for pressurisation of the tanks.

This launch site is sort of problematic in that thou you gain from being close to the equator you loss from the lack it would appear of infrastucture to support this type of rocket design.

The facilities on Kwajalein Atoll enable about 1 tonne of liquid oxygen to be made each day. But this may be insufficient and Space-X may have to wait for additional shipments of liquid oxygen from Hawaii.

“It’s really quite challenging to establish a launch site 5000 miles away [from the US] on an atoll in the Pacific,” Musk told reporters before the launch. The atoll was chosen as it sits near the equator, meaning the rocket receives the maximum benefit from the Earth’s rotation. But Musk noted the difficulty of transporting liquid oxygen, which must be kept at -180°C, in a tropical climate.

#150 2005-11-29 15:13:43

Grypd

They have been rushing to set up the launch. It is unfortunate that as has been previously noted that they have had to build there own launch site and as such put in all the support infrastructure. They have been under a lot of pressure to ensure that they launch soon if only to have evidence to refute the naysayers. This basically meant that there lauch site was not ready to resupply the rocket when they lost fuel, it had no stores and due to remoteness this could not quickly be replaced.

To ensure this does not happen again means the creation of tankage and other facilities. Not a real problem only construction which again takes time due to distances from supplies and mainland.

The Falcon is still to prove itself but at least they are being professional about it. Naysayers will say it indicates bad management this is ridiculous it simply shows that Rockets are complicated and difficult pieces of hi-tech machinery. Nasa which has launched 1000s of rockets and has a massive standing army still regularily scrubs launches due to technical problems or simple glitches. In short S**t happens.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

Board footer