New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-09-01 12:47:47

ronin_Kasei
Banned

Re: Private Mars Mission?

Milling some ideas around in my head, I'd like to get some feedback on a few of them.

What would you all think about the possibilty/plausiability of a unmanned Mars mission, funded, directed and controled from the private sector, namely the Mars Society?

Conditions for this hypothetical are:
-A Private entity is willing to launch a payload of a specific mass into a TMI orbit
-Sufficent funding can be obtained for the testing, procurement and manufacture of the unmanned mission
-Support using NASA's DSN to facilitate mission communication

What are some ideas for missions? I have included some ideas of my own, geared mainly toward the near-future Mars-Direct style missions.
-Small Scale In-Situ Propellant lander with or without sample return
-Multiple Aerial Balloon Recon Packages
-Orbiting TDDRS's

"Where passion leads or prudence points the way".
-Robert Lowth

MarsDrive Consortium | [url=http://www.marsdrive.com]www.marsdrive.com[/url]

#2 2005-09-04 03:41:47

Reptoid
Banned

Re: Private Mars Mission?

I think the fuel generation experiment would be a good idea.  Since the Mars Society seems more concerned about the actual colonization of Mars rather than pure science, such a mission could help advance its goals at least a little.  I think building a deep drilling machine to look for liquid, subsurface water would also be interesting.  Maybe have a lab on the drilling machine that would examine any samples of water for life.

Board footer