New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#51 2005-09-01 06:53:13

Trebuchet
Banned

Re: Current Gasoline/Petrol Price$

This would be where people start bothering their companies for the ability to telecommute, where it's feasible. I know I have.

#52 2005-09-01 09:48:46

srmeaney

Now we all know what the tax dollars should have been spent on dont we!

#53 2005-09-01 16:38:52

Grypd

Hurricane Katrina has put out of commision a total of 9 refineries. 1 will hopefully be back on line this weekend but the other 8 need the power infrastructure and damage done to be sorted first.

Even with the 500 k gallons released from the USA oil emergency supply there is likely to be little relief as this is crude oil released and there is little capacity to refine it.

But the good news is that in Europe where there is spare refinery capacity the refineries have gone to full production and over 20 tankers have been chartered to move this refined petrol to the USA. Also unlike in the USA the EU keeps an emergency reserve of already refined petrol EU leaders are likely to announce tommorrow that this reserve will be used to provide more fuel to the USA. The problem is that this fuel is unlikely to make any dent in the USA's problem until late next week.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#54 2005-09-01 18:02:01

srmeaney

I think the most entertaining was the oil rig that was pulled from its anchors and slammed into the bridge...Amazing the quality of engineering on the bridge, the way it took that kind of force. Too bad the same couldn't be said about the levie banks that were supposed to hold back the sea from new orleans.

They need to drag the contractors into a shalow grave out in the desert and bury them.

But the good news is that in Europe where there is spare refinery capacity the refineries have gone to full production and over 20 tankers have been chartered to move this refined petrol to the USA. Also unlike in the USA the EU keeps an emergency reserve of already refined petrol EU leaders are likely to announce tommorrow that this reserve will be used to provide more fuel to the USA. The problem is that this fuel is unlikely to make any dent in the USA's problem until late next week.

Price fixing and market manipulation...Europe props up the USA. Three cheers for subsidised oil!!!

#55 2005-09-01 21:15:01

srmeaney

Just watched PBS's Nightly Business Report: Complaints of price Gouging loged against Petrol retailer in Georgia. He's selling petrol at six dollars and five cents a gallon.
Considering it's price on Wallstreet Futures Market is $4.35
Thats less than two dollars profit per gallon.

GASOLINE $6.05 / GALLON

#56 2005-09-02 05:10:22

SpaceNut
Administrator

Yes amazing srmeaney how the oil rigs could not stayed anchored while the bridge was fully intact. As for how Wallstreet Futures to at the pump price compares for profit Can only assume that is how it works.

Fuel cost status in my small area of comute are rising the station that was at 2.79 yesterday morning was sell fuel at 2.97 last night. Of course I filled up since I had the cash. While at the pump the owner came out to tell the Pumping attendant to record all the pump indicators and that after finishing to change all the prices. It took a jump to 3.29 while I was still at the pump. This was called into him from his supplier which was Gulf.

Can only pity the guy that saw the price actually get updated after I left...

#57 2005-09-02 05:17:54

Palomar

*I don't know where the service station was in a video clip yesterday of gasoline prices around the nation, but its sign showed $5.89 for a gallon of regular and $6.09 for supreme.  :shock: 

Every other video clip showed no higher than $3.59. 

I'm still wondering where gasoline is selling for that exorbiant price!  sad 

On a related note, car dealers in El Paso are reporting lots of trade-ins on SUVs, 1/2 ton pickup trucks, etc.  Those folks are losing a lot of $ in the process; dealers are giving them $5000 to $10,000 less than the trade-in value because, of course, they're going to have a hard time selling the trade-ins. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#58 2005-09-02 05:49:16

srmeaney

Now would be a realy good time to buy a steam powered car from a nice australian firm...Pritchard Steam

http://www.pritchardpower.com

On a related note, car dealers in El Paso are reporting lots of trade-ins on SUVs, 1/2 ton pickup trucks, etc. Those folks are losing a lot of $ in the process; dealers are giving them $5000 to $10,000 less than the trade-in value because, of course, they're going to have a hard time selling the trade-ins.

Idiots. Get them converted to hydrogen. Replace the Fuel tank with a watertank and a fuelcell splitter and two nice pumps to two small tanks that take you fifty miles on a full gas. Solar panel the roof... costs less than the loss they are taking on the resale.

#59 2005-09-02 07:41:15

Trebuchet
Banned

The just-finished survey on oil deposits in Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah revealed that the reserve there is *three times Saudi Arabia's original reserve*.

Wow. That's fricking huge.

I believe the 'oil economy' will be in good shape for some time to come, given that bit of news.

EDIT: The range quoted was 500 billion barrels to 1.1 trillion barrels. Saudi Arabia's reserve is something like 283 billion barrels. Still, that's a LOT of oil.

#60 2005-09-02 08:16:28

srmeaney

Oh i get it. America is using up every one elses oil and then going to use their to invade...

#61 2005-09-02 08:47:17

SpaceNut
Administrator

Trebuchet I think the just-finished survey on oil deposits in Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah are mostly in the form of slate or shale stone deposits. yes there is large quantities of it but it is not easily processed.

#62 2005-09-02 21:34:23

srmeaney

• Energy Development Priorities from highest to lowest

High..............
    1.Energy Management and Conservation
    2.Production of Liquid Hydrocarbons from Gas and Synthetics
    3.Cost effective Substitution of natural gas, LPG, renewables for Gasoline and Diesel
    4.Exploration technology for gas and oil recovery
    5.Improved Coal Combustion technology
    6.Improved Coal mining productivity and saftey
    7.Improves efficiency in dewatering and treatment of fine coal
    8.Coal Evaluation techniques-supporting exports
    9.Photovoltaic cell technology
    10.Methanol conversion
    Medium..........
    11.Production of liquid fuels from Shale or Coal
    12.Improvements in Coal utillization
    13.Load Management of Electricity and Gas
    14.Coal Gas utillisation and Coal Gassification
    15.Other Solar and wind technologies
    16.Coal Carbonisation, Coke Manufacturing technologies
    17.Energy Storage particularly in remote areas
    18.Nuclear Waste Management
    Low..................
    19.Improved Exploration techniques and assessment  of Coal and Oil Shale
    20.Production of Alcohol Fuels
    21.Insitu Coal Gassification
    22.Magnetohydrodynamics (Dams)
    23.Biomass feedstocks including production of Methane and Vegetable Oils
    24.Production of Liquid and Gaseous fuel from burning of Waste
    25.Development of Electric Vehicles
    26.Nuclear Fusion
    27.Use of Hydrogen as a Fuel
    28.Wave, Tidal, Ocean Thermal and Geothermal energy

TO Trebuchet and Spacenut,

Shale oils are not all that high on the list of priorities. Then neither are hydrogen power and electric cars. Burning the Wate of Cities for energy production is a higher priority than Hydrogen power and electric cars.
Cindy, Time to give up your job in homeland security and run for president against Arnold Swartzeneger...Stop torturing the kittens as to which regime they support.

#63 2005-09-03 19:59:45

SpaceNut
Administrator

It appears that the gas prices have stabilized for now at 3.29 for regular gas.

Went into the local Home depot to see what the current prices are on building materials and noted pli wood was at a low of 12 as compared to earlier in the year at 17 a sheet. After Andrew the price of pli wood went though the roof litterally and probably will as the need for materials grow to rebuild.

#64 2005-09-05 01:34:32

Mundaka
Banned

neutral

Macte nova virtute, sic itur ad astra

#65 2005-09-05 04:07:13

idiom

The last adjusted number per barrel was $185 for a barrel of crude. We're only at $70+ at the moment.

The thing is, there is no expectation of it going down, ever.

Come on to the Future

#66 2005-09-05 07:47:16

srmeaney

Ya. The economy is readjusting to the true value of oil. Any subsidisation will destroy the US economy, further bankrupting the US.

#67 2005-09-05 09:55:30

Palomar

By horse...of course

*I wonder how long this will go on.  Winter's not far away, ND is cold.  Is he taking a scooper along?  His employer might not appreciate the mess...

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#68 2005-09-05 18:30:36

srmeaney

Of course, you realize that it's illegal to travel by horse faster than twenty mile an hour, five mile an hour in built up areas...

#69 2005-09-05 22:41:16

idiom

Around here you can go faster provided your horse is fitted with anti-lock shoes.

Come on to the Future

#70 2005-09-06 21:38:08

srmeaney

Not good. The price of oil is settling back to pre hurricane Katrina prices. Bowser not going down though...I guess the rest of us around the world are subsidising US oil again.

No subsidisation Without Parity!

#71 2005-09-07 05:26:10

SpaceNut
Administrator

The gas prices have stabilized and at one station have come back down 20 per gallon but that is though there own creativity, they purchased only low grade regular and filled all there tanks getting rid of the high octane stuff at least for a little while. Now at $2.99 for regular no lead gas.

#72 2005-09-07 11:04:26

Mundaka
Banned

neutral

#73 2005-09-07 16:42:01

idiom

The US is drawing on the rest of the world, meaning your spike is going down as the other markets rise to meet it.

When US production comes back to pre-Katrina levels, the question will be whether world production has risen in the intervening gap. Global consumption will have risen, so either more production is found or we are seeing the begining of the end of cheap oil.

Fun to watch.

Come on to the Future

#74 2005-09-07 18:17:21

Mundaka
Banned

neutral

#75 2005-09-08 05:07:46

srmeaney

idiom wrote:
Fun to watch.

I suppose, if your idea of entertainment is the suffering of others.

Is it fun to sit by and watch as Presidents arm, finance, and train terrorists to attack the civilian populations of nations opposed to its genocidal policies?

Is it fun to  watch as the rich and wealthy conspire to do what ever they must to get someone in power who will be of benifit to them and their interests?

Is it fun to watch as Presidents cut back public infrastructure maintenance in favour of tax cuts for the super rich corporations who financed his election and re-election?

Is it fun to watch the presidents arms shares triple in value two months after a couple of airliners smash into buildings killing thousands of people in the process?

Is it fun to watch presidents of failing superpowers invade and bomb countries because it needs to secure contol of oil to maintain its position of dominance?

Is it fun to Watch as America goes from being a democracy to a tyranny rather than hold the very rich and ignorant people who made this happen responsible?

Yes! It is fun. There is nothing you can do about it, short of building a nice time machine and having a word in George Washington's ear about the consequences of his actions, so sit back, curl up on the sofa with a colt 45 to protect you from that displaced urban black male from Louisiana that fox TV has told you is breaking into homes in your area, and laugh insanely at the unfolding nightmare that is the USA.

Watch as the beacon light of civilization burns rancid black with tallow fat rendered from the millions of its victims.

Board footer