New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#151 2005-08-26 08:31:51

Grypd

Re: Happy Birthday Dr. Smith- Nov. 6th

Happy Birthday Clark, Have a good one...

I still want those bands I used to have :shock:

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#152 2005-08-26 09:01:44

Cobra Commander

Yep, have a good one clark. If that is your real name. <glares suspiciously>  big_smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#153 2005-08-26 09:06:45

clark

Thanks!  big_smile

Going up to midtown, not far from Washington Square Park and have a drink or three. I'm throwing myself my very own surprise party. Shhhh! Don't tell me, it will ruin the surprise.

As for my age... old enough to know better, but young enough to still not care.  wink

Everyone, enjoy my Holiday!  big_smile

#154 2005-08-26 10:14:52

BWhite

Thanks!  big_smile

Going up to midtown, not far from Washington Square Park and have a drink or three. I'm throwing myself my very own surprise party. Shhhh! Don't tell me, it will ruin the surprise.

As for my age... old enough to know better, but young enough to still not care.  wink

Everyone, enjoy my Holiday!  big_smile

Watch out for those hobos! The one eyed ones are dangerous.

And yes, I will toast you a few toasts tonight.  Cabernet or Pinot Noir?

= = =

My birthday was Tuesday and my wife gave me (us) two tickets to Jimmy Buffet at Wrigley Field next weekend. Margarita anyone?

Margaritas are always a sentimental favorite but I am developing a taste for mojitos.

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#155 2005-08-26 10:32:22

Cobra Commander

My birthday was Tuesday and my wife gave me (us) two tickets to Jimmy Buffet at Wrigley Field next weekend. Margarita anyone?

In that case, belated goodwill to you as well.

I'll pass on the margarita though, doesn't go with the Prophet's style.  big_smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#156 2005-08-26 11:11:22

BWhite

In that case, belated goodwill to you as well.

I'll pass on the margarita though, doesn't go with the Prophet's style.  big_smile

When I was younger, salt, tequila, lime and a good kiss was more in style.

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#157 2005-08-26 11:28:49

clark

Pinot.

But for some good Spanish red wine, go with Faustino V reserve. Make sure it is V, VII is not so good! Found that little gem in New Mexico.

Happy belated Bill. Another year couldn't happen to a better fella.  wink

tequilla... ugh... vodka or whiskey.  lol

#158 2005-08-26 11:38:12

BWhite

Boat drinks.

The English invented yachting to permit gentlemen to drink in the out-of-doors.

#159 2005-08-26 11:42:19

clark

So bartenders invented the life preserver to keep their regular customers?

#160 2005-08-26 11:45:30

Cobra Commander

When I was younger, salt, tequila, lime and a good kiss was more in style.

Same when I was younger, but we generally skipped the salt and lime.  big_smile

I used to know this girl that could drink anyone under the table. . .

#161 2005-08-26 15:26:08

Grypd

I had better stay out of this conversation as I pretty much have yet to meet an alcahol that I didnt agree with but does not agree with me.

Actually that can describe the women in my life too... :cry:

Oh well Slanshivar, or Slansh Ho

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#162 2005-08-26 15:41:21

Palomar

*Alcohol, shmalcohol.  smile  For the neighbor kids' birthdays, Bertha (her b-day was August 18, see above) would send over a tray full of fresh homebaked cookies.  She'd lovingly place them on a styrofoam tray covered with clingwrap and deliver them herself (though later, as she got older, she'd call you over to get them).  If it wasn't cookies, it was homemade cream puffs (with made-from-scratch cooked vanilla pudding inside) or cherry tarts.  big_smile  There's nothing like lovin' from the oven and Bertha was a kitchen goddess. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#163 2005-08-26 18:32:47

BWhite

Watch out for those brownies. Might getcha hungry, if you know what I mean.  wink

Anyway, Happy Birthday! to clark.

Sorry, no Pinot - - just opened a bottle of Beaujolais-Villages. Inexpensive but light and refreshing for a hot humid August evening.

Cheers!

smile

#164 2005-08-27 09:01:28

clark

I want to die.

And if this headache continues, I probably will.  lol

Thank you all for the birthday wishes.  big_smile

Now, dispense with the hangover cures.

#165 2005-08-27 16:21:51

Josh Cryer

Spicy V8 juice. With a few added drops of tobasco sauce.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#166 2005-08-28 06:36:46

Grypd

1) A very large fry up and I mean large.

2) A bottle of Irn Bru (scottish drink) It has a miraculous success rate

3) go Hillwalking and it is raining heavily. Your too miserable from the weather to worry about a hangover.

Hope that helps

#167 2005-08-28 06:44:46

Shaun Barrett

Palomar:-

There's nothing like lovin' from the oven and Bertha was a kitchen goddess.

"lovin' from the oven .."!  Ha-ha, excellent!  big_smile
How heavy was the husband??!!!  wink

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#168 2005-08-28 21:20:32

Palomar

Palomar:-

There's nothing like lovin' from the oven and Bertha was a kitchen goddess.

"lovin' from the oven .."!  Ha-ha, excellent!  big_smile
How heavy was the husband??!!!  wink

*George was a bit paunchy; Bertha was pleasantly plump in a genuinely old-fashioned type Grandma way.  But they were hard workers, always keeping busy. 

Their daughters and grandchildren would always bring over a big beautifully decorated bakery cake for her birthday.  Bertha's homemade cakes and cooked-from-scratch frostings were better, but she enjoyed those lavishly decorated bakery cakes. 

Speaking of bakery cakes, I prefer buttercream frosting (made with shortening and powdered sugar) to the more recent "whipped" variety (bakeries here feature both types).  And cake decorating is truly an art.  My aunt decorated cakes for extra money and really...all the various types of flowers, borders, the basket-weave designs, etc., etc. -- they can be simply pretty or fabulously ornate.  And the rolled fondant cakes are pretty, too.  I've wanted to learn cake decorating, but it'd be punishment on my hands and wrists; already have carpal tunnel syndrome and squeezing all those tubes of frosting, having to hold the wrists steady and make very fine movements?  Can't do it; it'd be agony.

Birthday cakes are better than birthday gifts.  wink  My favorite is chocolate cake baked in an oblong pan with powdered-sugar frosting (pastel green) and those tiny multicolored "sprinkles" tossed all over the top.  big_smile

And that's probably more than you wanted to know.  tongue  Lol...

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#169 2005-11-22 03:02:45

Rxke

Happy Birthday, Spirit!

One Martian year, who'd have thought....
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/spotligh … 51121.html

big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

#170 2005-11-26 11:32:14

Palomar

*Happy birthday, Siegfried!  smile

--Cindy

#171 2005-11-26 16:59:21

Grypd

Happy birthday Siegfried  :mrgreen:

Board footer