New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-08-10 16:29:39

Palomar

Re: Plastic into Steel (Aussie Science)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050810/sc_ … c_dc]Click

*Thought others might find this of interest as well.  smile

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2005-08-11 13:43:49

C M Edwards

Considering that the usual sources of coke here on Earth are coal and petrochemicals, I think that research could be very useful to the manufacture of steel on Mars. 

It ties in with http://www.newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3485]this thread and http://www.newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=280]this one in ways I'd never thought of.  Put them together, and you've got steel!

A little australian genius could be just what Marsian metallurgy needs.  8)

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#3 2005-08-15 05:30:15

Shaun Barrett

Cindy:-

*Thought others might find this of interest as well.  smile

Yes, indeed, Cindy!
I, for one, am always pleased to see Australian scientists doing their bit - especially with 'green' projects like this one. 00000035.gif

CM :-

Thanks, CM.
Not too shabby for a "piss ant" country full of "f*cking idiots", as I once heard Australia described quite recently. 00000018.gif

And yes, I agree that putting this kind of research together with other suggestions discussed here at New Mars in the past opens up many possibilities for construction work on Mars. I'm sure we could achieve speedy progress in colonizing the Red Planet if only we would just get on with it!! 00000068.gif

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#4 2005-08-15 07:16:13

Palomar

*I did have possible future applications on Mars in mind when I posted the initial article.  Not sure why, but metallurgy is interesting to me even though I'm not overly knowledgeable about it.

Sahajwalla said many waste plastics, from shopping bags to dishwashing liquid containers and drink bottles, contain high enough levels of carbon to be useful in steelmaking.

Carbon is used to add strength to steel.

She said PVC was one of few plastics not suitable for the process because of potentially carcinogenic emissions when burned.

Too bad.  Isn't PVC used in lots of consumer goods?  I'll Google for it, but it seems I've heard frequent references to PVC.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#5 2005-08-17 05:20:20

Palomar

CM :-

Thanks, CM.
Not too shabby for a "piss ant" country full of "f*cking idiots", as I once heard Australia described quite recently. 00000018.gif

*Hi Shaun and CM:  Since this does concern Australia:  Articles pertaining to Australian science are just as forthcoming as from Europe, perhaps a bit more.  I recall an Antarctica-based observatory Australia is building or has in the definite works; approximately 2 years ago Australian scientists discovered a previously unknown "new" arm of the Milky Way Galaxy; now this, etc.  There are a couple of other examples I can't recall at 5:18 a.m. (still half asleep)...Australia is giving Canada and Europe a run for their money as science and astronomy go, etc.; it seems that way, anyhow.

Construction work on Mars...will that include "Give 'Em a Brake" traffic signs??  wink

--Cindy

Board footer