New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-07-22 16:35:36

Palomar

Re: Nix the Sack Lunch & Portapotty

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/spacetra … .html]Read me

*Waste issues/technology. 

Teixeira's plan hinges on patented technology developed by the university called Sequential Batch Anaerobic Composting (SEBAC) that is currently used in landfills. That system turns waste into compost by cycling material among different containers.

At least the article pitches for a 1-1/2 year on-Mars mission.  smile  Discusses use of leftovers as well.

--Cindy

P.S.:  I did check the most recent threads in this folder to see if this article's been posted already.  I don't see that it has and Search on this board is still bonkers.

::EDIT:: 

The SEBAC II system would compost human waste, inedible food material such as plant stems and roots, and paper used for things like moist toilettes used by the crew in the place of baths or showers.

No bubble baths en route??  I'll have to reconsider this...   :?  wink

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2005-07-22 17:25:01

srmeaney

You ever hear tell of a science fiction story, how a colony was in unrest because the guy incharge of waste disposal wasnt doing his job...Earth gov sends an officer out to investigate only to find that the reason he was refusing to push the button that processed waste was every one victimised him and austracised him for being the guy who "handles the shit". Basicly the rest of the colony were a bunch of snobs...So the Earth official (thinking this has gone far enough) pushes the button only to be treated with the same level of contempt as the last guy.

#3 2005-07-23 13:59:16

Stormrage

You ever hear tell of a science fiction story, how a colony was in unrest because the guy incharge of waste disposal wasnt doing his job...Earth gov sends an officer out to investigate only to find that the reason he was refusing to push the button that processed waste was every one victimised him and austracised him for being the guy who "handles the shit". Basicly the rest of the colony were a bunch of snobs...So the Earth official (thinking this has gone far enough) pushes the button only to be treated with the same level of contempt as the last guy.

Wow what a bunch of loser. Next time let them handle their own shit.

"...all I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by."

#4 2005-07-27 07:34:35

srmeaney

Proping up the food supply of a Mars colony from Earth. One year's food is going to cost 20 billion (as much as it cost to send the colonist).

#5 2005-07-27 08:22:08

Commodore

But without the portopotty, how are crews going to play the age old joke of tipping over the portopotty while a fellow crew member uses the portopotty?

Morale is vital. lol

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

#6 2005-07-27 18:41:42

srmeaney

Far worse if the toilet is its own building way off in the distance. A Toilet with an airlock...

Teixeira says the spaceship would probably carry enough food in reusable packages to sustain the crew during the trip to Mars. During a portion of that time, crews would collect the processed waste for use as compost upon arrival and established a greenhouse to grow foods.

"I'm going outside...I may be some time."

Board footer