New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-05-25 20:27:30

midibidi
Banned

Re: Kasei Valles proves there is no water on Mars

:band:

#2 2004-05-25 20:29:31

midibidi
Banned

The reason I state that there is no water on Mars.. is because
Article about Mars as stated in National Geographic Magazine, Dated January 2004.
The article states that geological violence carved the huge channel of the Northern Kasei Valles.  Some scientists think that the catatrophic releases of groundwater carved the valley.
I wish to point out that I looked at this picture of Kasei Valles for an hour. 
When you look at a puzzle, like one of those 1000 piece puzzles, your brain starts to see certain features.  Out of the corner of your eye, you start to see colors that correspond, shapes that fit.  Sometimes you do this without realizing that you are doing it.
I see Kasei Valles like a large puzzle piece.
In the THEMIS infrared image, you can see the supposed groundwater carved channel.
I would like to point out that this arrowhead shaped piece has definite shape that fits into the lines on either side of the “coastline” (for lack of a better term)
In my eyes, this picture looks like a picture of a cookie, that split apart, moved away from itself, and the resulting channel, is simply a hole. 
If you look closely, the edges of this piece, exactly match up on BOTH sides to the coasts.
WHICH means, that it simply expanded.  Mars expanded.
Not water.  NOT massive flood.  Just “continental drift”.
I notice in the rest of the article, that there is other evidence of movement.  The article states that there was another smooth layer that came loose and moved.

#3 2004-05-26 06:41:53

REB
Banned
Website

I have to disagree with you on this one. I logged many hours studying pictures of Kasei Vallis.

First your observation of possible plate tectonics is a good one. This is the general theory on the formation of Valles Marineris, which is like a great rift valley. Also, even if Kasei is a rift valley, they wouldn’t be reasons for Mars not to have water.

Here is a project for you. Study an Earth river channel and see if you get the same results you did with Kasei.

Here is why I believe Kasei is a river channel. It has meanders, which are formed by a liquid. There is also evidence of alluvial fans were the Kasei river dumped its sediment load when it entered the ancient Northern Ocean.

Here is an over view of Kasei.
http://www.msss.com/moc_gallery/m19_m23 … /mc10.html

What you may be seeing is areas where the escaping ground water broke the terrain into blocks. I see a little of that happening around Kasei.

Keep studying and coming up with theories.

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#4 2004-05-26 19:57:58

Shaun Barrett

I agree with Reb.
    I'm looking at my Mars globe right now and the whole area in question, northward along Echus Chasma and into Kasei Vallis heading east, looks smeared like the effect of the incoming tide on a sandcastle at the beach.
    It's inconceivable that anything but large amounts of water could have caused all of this - particularly given the evidence for alluvial deposition cited by Reb.

Further compelling evidence for fluvial erosion can be found, amongst other places, at the eastern end of Mariner Valley. There, vast areas of Margaritifer and Arabia Terrae (including Meridiani Planum, where Opportunity landed) have been identified as being formerly a part of the cratered 'southern' highlands. However, these regions are now much lower, and the craters heavily eroded, because approximately 1 whole vertical kilometre of the topography has been removed by erosion across thousands of square kilometres of the surface!
    Scientists examining this phenomenal example of massive resurfacing have expressed the opinion that it's difficult to imagine anything but water (and plenty of it! ) being the agent responsible.
    In light of this, Opportunity's confirmation that Meridiani Planum was once awash with water was probably no more than we might have expected.

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#5 2004-05-29 17:11:32

midibidi
Banned

Well... inconceivable as it may seem, I still agree with myself that the mass fits into spaces on both sides of the plate.  The picture I am looking at was in the National Geographic Magazine, in the January issue.    I do not feel that it was caused by a fluvial scour, since the edges of the arrowhead shaped piece would fit into the coastline if you could take a giant sized hand and move it back.  So, if the pieces fit, that would mean that they broke apart.  Not washed away.  This is not entirely unlikely, since continental drift happens on both planets.  It must have been fairly hot when it happened, since there seem to be spots that look like it could have been "bubbling" (perhaps like a lava flow) and has the appearance of broken bubbles.  It almost looks like a pan of mashed potatoes that started to boil.

#6 2005-07-24 19:17:19

Tholzel
Banned

Here is why I believe Kasei is a river channel. It has meanders, which are formed by a liquid. There is also evidence of alluvial fans were the Kasei river dumped its sediment load when it entered the ancient Northern Ocean.

Why does everyone insist on called a possible Martian liquid "water"?

Liquid CO2 and fine silt also flow like water.

Board footer