New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-12-20 23:19:59

Phobos

Re: Water in Mars's VERY recent past - sip

I came across an http://www.uswaternews.com/archives/arc … ml]article at US Water News about evidence that water has surfaced on Mars in terms of years ago rather than in its geologic past.  Perhaps we can all kick back in natural hotsprings and sip martinis once we get to Mars.  Here's an excerpt:

"The water, contained in hypersaline underground aquifers, could be so loaded with salt that it would flow like syrup, and any seepage to the surface or movement downhill would be slow, Ferris said.

Underground hot springs are common on Earth, and Ferris said the same could be true on Mars, with one important difference.

"Hydrothermal systems might be common on Mars, like hot springs on Earth, perhaps never breaking the surface because it's just so inhospitable," Ferris said.

The streaks come and go, sometimes in a matter of years or decades, which on the cosmic scale is lightning-fast.
"

Well maybe using the water for hottubs isn't such a great idea. smile

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#2 2002-12-21 10:50:44

Palomar

Perhaps we can all kick back in natural hotsprings and sip martinis once we get to Mars. 

*Strawberry daquiri for me, thanks.  Yes, we need to grow strawberries on Mars...or else I'm -not- going.  wink

Here's an excerpt:

"The water, contained in hypersaline underground aquifers, could be so loaded with salt that it would flow like syrup, and any seepage to the surface or movement downhill would be slow, Ferris said.

*Eeewwww.  Flows like syrup?  Well, at least people who can't do the back float here on earth will have no problems on Mars.

Underground hot springs are common on Earth, and Ferris said the same could be true on Mars, with one important difference.

"Hydrothermal systems might be common on Mars, like hot springs on Earth, perhaps never breaking the surface because it's just so inhospitable," Ferris said.

*Being the water's so heavy and sluggish it probably can't break through the surface...

The streaks come and go, sometimes in a matter of years or decades, which on the cosmic scale is lightning-fast.
"

Well maybe using the water for hottubs isn't such a great idea. 

*Yeah.  Hmmmm, maybe we'd better make everything super-duper rustproof on Mars.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2002-12-21 16:21:55

Phobos

*Strawberry daquiri for me, thanks.  Yes, we need to grow strawberries on Mars...or else I'm -not- going.

I second that.  What the hell was I thinking when I mentioned martinis.  I'm like strawberry daquiris a lot more myself. smile  I've tried growing strawberries in flower pots before.  They didn't do very well but then again anything that live by photosynthesis seems doomed under my care.

*Yeah.  Hmmmm, maybe we'd better make everything super-duper rustproof on Mars.

Agreed, I don't want to spend all my of time picking rust flakes out of the water when kicking back.  smile

#4 2002-12-21 17:01:10

Palomar

*Strawberry daquiri for me, thanks.  Yes, we need to grow strawberries on Mars...or else I'm -not- going.

I second that.  What the hell was I thinking when I mentioned martinis.  I'm like strawberry daquiris a lot more myself. smile  I've tried growing strawberries in flower pots before.

*Let's break this down:  You like strawberry daquiris better than martinis, but your first reference was indeed to the martini...what else have you tried to grow in a flower pot, besides strawberries??  wink

I had a Martian martini a while back at a favorite bar.  It was indeed red in color; very delicious and tasty, with either cherry or strawberry flavoring (I can't recall which, and I'm not much of a bartender myself).

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#5 2002-12-22 16:48:07

Phobos

Let's break this down:  You like strawberry daquiris better than martinis, but your first reference was indeed to the martini...what else have you tried to grow in a flower pot, besides strawberries??

LOL, I think someone spiked my flower pots, cuz you know, I'd never do anything illegal. tongue

#6 2002-12-25 21:17:05

Echus_Chasma
Website

Another article on those 'Dark Streaks' and water and stuff on Mars.

http://planetary.org/html/news/articlea … ...rs.html

[url]http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Echus[/url]

#7 2003-03-17 06:03:14

Almir

Water 'flows' on Mars.

Dark streaks on crater and valley walls may indicate that brackish water currently flows across the surface of Mars.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/2846897.stm

#8 2004-11-15 14:08:29

Maryjane
Banned
Website

I use to pore beer in my plants and I havn't seen as healthy a plants since then. They thrived on the stuff. And I don't smoke the funny stuff either big_smile

Dunes of Mars Warior Princes

#9 2005-07-24 19:13:47

Tholzel
Banned

Phobos wrote:

quote]

Yeah, water always was a compound that insisted on good manners.

Board footer