New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-11-17 14:48:53

dicktice

Re: Phobos and Deimos - Importance of preserving them

Having read: Red Mars and Green Mars and began reading but couldn't finish Blue Mars, I was struck by the cavelier treatment of those two handed-to-us-on-a-platter satellites, which would be so useful in the human exploration and settlement of Mars, not to mention later exploitation(s) I am sure will be apparent.... The "space elevator" proposition would of course place them in jepardy, so my thought it: scrape the elevator, as too vulnerable (see said Mars books) and substitute electromagnetic acceleration ramps on the volcanos, instead.

#2 2002-11-17 17:18:53

Byron

I agree...let's keep those two little moons...

KSR's whole idea of building the space elevator on Mars with the moons in the way was a bit absurd in my opinion...as if that little wiggle-dance that elevator did would inspire confidence to anyone using it - not me! 

I'll stick with good old-fashioned shuttles, thank you very much...  smile

B

#3 2002-11-18 12:51:59

clark

LOL.

A technophile declaring that some technology being "too new, damn fangled contraption of death..."

Back in my days, all we needed was a hundred tons of chemical propellant and a few years- now all you kids got them danged newclear rockets and you're whizzing to and fro- so I asks ya, what's the rush? We used to take our time, enjoy the radiation- you younguns don't have no respect for the old ways. Dang nabbit. 

tongue

Board footer