New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2005-07-18 21:11:55

Palomar

Re: Venus & Regulus Cozy Up

*They'll appear very close together throughout the week and will appear closest on Friday, July 22. 

Tonight (July 18) about 45 minutes after sunset, watch as Venus and Regulus begin their dance over the week. Tonight the pair will appear about half a fist apart, with Regulus to the south (left) and slightly east (above) sparkling Venus. While magnitude 1 Regulus is the brightest star in Leo, you may initially need binoculars to pick it out of the bright twilight.  Be sure to monitor the pair each night as they make their closest appearance on Friday.

Yes...Regulus is towards the NW; Leo is a Spring constellation, and they (Spring constellations) are definitely on their way out -- very far to the W-NW after twilight.

Will be a pretty pair.  Now if only the clouds in my area would skeedadle.  roll

Info courtesy universetoday.com.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

Board footer