New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-07-11 15:17:06

Torraway
Banned

Re: Any active rover projects going on right now?

I was wondering if there were any active rover projects going on right now? I'd like to get a web link, if possible, to these projects.

#2 2005-07-11 20:34:42

clark

Well, here is one.

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/]active rover project

Of course work slots might be filled...

#3 2005-07-12 03:59:02

Rxke

Clark, helpful to new members, as usual  big_smile

Seriously.
I don't know of on-going project, but there are projects running by some chapters (IIRC) for pressurized rovers (for eventual manned missions)

There's not that much chatter on the lines about it, though, so could very well be mothballed.

*doubletake:* oh, there's a nice project on-going, with a robot-colony, at my "homepage!"   :;):

(I kid, it's just a rambling mess of wild ideas. Mothballed, too.)

#4 2005-07-12 04:44:54

JonClarke

Actual mars rover projects?  Well, there is ExoMars and MSL.

Mars Society projects?  Mars Society Australia is working on a prototype analogue rover, this is under construction and needs more funds to be completed.  The Austrian society has been involved in two different robot rover projects as an education and outreach exercise.  These have been quite successful.  University of Michigan is still working on rovers I think, but i haven't heard anything recently.

Jon

#5 2005-07-12 05:24:59

clark

I try to be helpful to all members, regardless of post count.

Since you're from Cali Torraway (an excellent State might I add) you might check California Instutite of Technology. It's not far from JPL and Old Town Pasadena is a good place for a weekend.

If you're up north, you might consider checking out if Berkley has any university groups doing research related to the things you're interested in.

Not sure of your background, but I do know that SpaceX (a private launch company) is based out of LA, so maybe you can garner your interest into a job. Never hurts to try.

Good luck.

How I miss so cal. [sigh]

#6 2005-07-12 10:18:22

Torraway
Banned

Well, here is one.

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/]active rover project

Of course work slots might be filled...

Very funny!  big_smile

I actually have met the president of the company that fabricated the wheels for the Mars Rover. The company is called Next Intent based out of San Luis Obispo, CA. I worked with him on a student project when he worked for another company.

http://www.nextintent.com/parts.html]ht … parts.html

I toured Next Intent. and they do amazing work there.

#7 2005-07-12 10:23:15

Torraway
Banned

I try to be helpful to all members, regardless of post count.

Since you're from Cali Torraway (an excellent State might I add) you might check California Instutite of Technology. It's not far from JPL and Old Town Pasadena is a good place for a weekend.

If you're up north, you might consider checking out if Berkley has any university groups doing research related to the things you're interested in.

Not sure of your background, but I do know that SpaceX (a private launch company) is based out of LA, so maybe you can garner your interest into a job. Never hurts to try.

Good luck.

How I miss so cal. [sigh]

Thanks Clark,

I've heard of Space X before. I just started a new job at Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company in Sunnyvale, CA in May. Is there a Bay Area Mar Society chapter?

#8 2005-07-12 11:15:10

clark

If not, start one.

Congrats on the new job. I'm sure you can be kept busy with the CEV and VSE jobs coming down the pipeline.

Since HLLV is Griffin's darling, I think Lockheed is positioned well. But that is for another thread.

Board footer