New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#51 2005-05-29 07:41:03

Palomar

Re: Political Potpourri V - Continued from previous

*I'm with them.  The 18th century personage in question was loyal to and fought on the side of England.  (According to the article, even England hasn't honored this man).

A year or two ago, a Mexican-American inquired on Bill O'Reilly why Mexican war heros can't be honored at The Alamo.

I've always thought it was a bit odd that we honor Confederate heros, let alone foreign adversaries. What other country honors defeated rebels to the extent of this one? 

It seems we're already very accomodating to the memory of fallen foes.

*Yes, I agree about the Confederate issue.  But that's something I'm reluctant to discuss.  A few years ago, on a different message board, I expressed a few opinions.  Someone took great offense (s/he didn't strike me as a troll, but rather as a Southerner fiercely loyal to the memory of the Confederacy) and said s/he would "pray for my death."   Guess those prayers didn't hit the ceiling, but anyway...

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u … aduation]I feel sorry for these folks

And coincidentally/ironically, the graduating class numbered 911.  Of course Pres. Bush was making a big to-do about them being the "Class of 9/11."  I heard some of his speech; talk about blatant manipulation (the likes of which I haven't seen since well before the 11/04 elections).

About seven in 10 of the new second lieutenants who threw their caps in the air are expected to be in combat in Iraq or Afghanistan within a year.

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#52 2005-05-30 06:40:01

Palomar

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u … erendum]Oh those French

*A "stunning rejection."  Chirac is humiliated.  Future of EU very uncertain. 

"In 1789, the revolutionaries freed the prisoners and frightened the king," he said. "This is the same thing. This is yet another divorce between the leaders and the people."

Of course I've not been to France nor Europe, so can't comment much.  But based on past *reading*...maybe not so surprising.

--Cindy

::EDIT::  I wonder how this will impact the future of the ESA?  ???

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#53 2005-05-30 09:40:34

Grypd

Well for the UK which was likely to reject the treaty by a very sizable majority up to 75 to 80% the rejection of it in France feels like a bit we have been cheated. We had hoped to do it ourselves.

Still the spotlight now falls on the Dutch who are likely to reject it on wednesday and so basically cripple it. But then again there is a possibility that since all countries must have ratified the treaty by November 2006 that they continue with the referendums and give all contries a chance and then in Next years vote they try again.

Another option is to try to negociate a new treaty that would make it more appealing to the French and Dutch but this would inversely make it less appealing to the UK and certain others. Still one of the tenets of the constitution was that any country that had not voted in the treaty by November 2006 was that they would politely be asked if they wished to stay as part of the EU at all.

Edit
Esa is a seperate agency inside Europe and not directly tied to the EU. In theory this rejection should not have any problems for ESA at all and could actually boost ESA with extra funds.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#54 2005-05-30 12:46:37

Rxke

Indeed Blair looks haggard.
Saw him at the telly, moments ago, some kind of  private interview i guess, with less-than-perfect lighting...
At first I didn't even recognize him, when i turned up the sound i of course immediately did recognize him  roll (that way of talking is unique, IMO)

Boy, he looks like having become 10 years older in one year....

#55 2005-05-30 15:02:35

Grypd

And that was him on holiday too.

Of interest is that a lot of european leaders apart from the UKs are stating that though the rejection was serious the referendums should and will continue. There is a Union leaders meeting in June 16th and it is likely that it will be a case of ok so what happens next.

And France could well redo its process of ratifing the treaty with a vote in the French parliament. If the treaty has certain tweaks to it this is likely especially if certain concessions to France are imposed.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#56 2005-05-31 09:29:50

BWhite

Nah, you missed the point.  tongue

Even Epcot in Orlando has an exhibit on the expectations game. Put you hand in cold water then luke warm water. The luke warm water seems HOT, right?

Compare Cheney to Hitler and what? Voila! He's dang near Florence Nightingale.    big_smile

Of course, Cheney isn't Hitler but by making the comparison his very real failings pale to insignificance. Me? Compared to the true commies, I would appear to be an Ayn Rand loving Uncle Milty wannabe!

= = =

The biggest problem with Gitmo is that we get NO BENEFIT from running it. Being nasty when necessary is, well, necessary.

Being nasty for the sheer pleasure of being nasty is inept and stupid.  big_smile

= = =

Actually, Gitmo and Abu Ghraib happened (I believe) because our leaders are in over their heads and are making up plays as they go along.

The Israelis learned long ago that sexual humiliation is a lousy method of interrograton, it just doesn't work. Read my original post - - I very strongly believe we have garnered almost ZERO useful intelligence from the folks at Gitmo.

And now we have a prison full of low level operatives and some innocents and we are stuck being unable to admit error.

Edited By BWhite on 1117553941

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#57 2005-05-31 09:42:38

BWhite

Heh! I need to be more sanguine.

Bush and Cheney being the posterchildren for fascism is actually a  very good thing. I mean if we have to have fascists, why not inept fascists?  What could be better?

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#58 2005-05-31 09:51:20

clark

I mean if we have to have fascists, why not inept fascists?  What could be better?

Effecient communists. You'll understand once you get to the gulag.

#59 2005-05-31 10:08:22

Cobra Commander

And now we have a prison full of low level operatives and some innocents and we are stuck being unable to admit error.

On that we can agree, a method for weeding out the terrorists from the unlucky guy picked up in a sweep or the guy who panics and speeds through a checkpoint needs to be in place. Unfortunately it most likely would involve an interrogation session in which most answers are already anticipated, something meant not to get any information but just to determine if the subject is lying.

Certainly Gitmo needs review, but it's important to understand that both the Administration and its detractors have agendas. Both argue in black and white, but the truth is like Bondo. Grey and thick and it gets all over everything.

And should only be used with adequate ventilation.  big_smile

I mean if we have to have fascists, why not inept fascists?  What could be better?

:laugh:
I can think of at least one thing.  :hm:
But hey, inept fascists are exploitable. They also get the less fascistically-inclined to wear themselves out crying wolf so no one will listen when the real thing comes along.

A wolf, now that has some iconography potential.  cool

<looks around shifitly> Er, fascism bad. Fight the power. Hey, I just saw Bush stealing freedoms! <points away to distract the angry mob>

big_smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#60 2005-05-31 10:30:51

Palomar

*Here's something interesting and "hot off the press":

Ex-FBI agent, Mark Felt, claims to have been "Deep Throat"

A couple of years ago people were speculating (seriously) that Bob Woodward had created "Deep Throat" to add mystery and intrigue to the Watergate scandal (as if there weren't enough intrigue).

Yeah, I remember Watergate.  All those network news Special Reports breaking into the Gilligan's Island and Scooby-Doo reruns.  tongue  That was so aggravating.  :laugh:

--Cindy

#61 2005-05-31 10:37:27

BWhite

Effecient communists. You'll understand once you get to the gulag.

Blues Brothers may be too old of a movie for all the young people here but its still full of great lines.

"Nazis? I hate Nazis, especially Illinois Nazis"

Edited By BWhite on 1117557464

#62 2005-05-31 10:41:12

Cobra Commander

"We're on a mission from God."

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#63 2005-05-31 10:49:57

BWhite

Context is everything:

Jake: First you trade the Cadillac for a microphone. Then you lie to me about the band. Now you're gonna put me right back in the joint.
Elwood: They're not gonna catch us. We're on a mission from God.

I've always liked this one:

Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
Jake: Hit it.

#64 2005-05-31 10:52:44

BWhite

Elwood: It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?

Jake: Fix the cigarette lighter.

#65 2005-05-31 10:52:56

clark

You know the problem with Americans? Short attention sp... ooo, look over there.

#66 2005-05-31 11:02:21

Palomar

Context is everything:

Jake: First you trade the Cadillac for a microphone. Then you lie to me about the band. Now you're gonna put me right back in the joint.
Elwood: They're not gonna catch us. We're on a mission from God.

I've always liked this one:

Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

*My favorite lines from that movie are when they encounter the protest on the bridge.  The cop comes up, they ask what's going on, the cop says the Illinois Nazi party had gotten permission to have a protest rally.

Jake says "I hate Illinois Nazis."  (As if they're worse than any other branch of the Nazi party).

Then they roar right on through...the Nazis throw themselves off the bridge and into the river below...  :laugh:

--Cindy

P.S.:  "Four fried chickens, and a Coke"

#67 2005-05-31 11:03:32

Cobra Commander

Context is everything:

Ah, dumb story leading to bad flashback. Just use "we're on a mission from God" whenever you get pulled over for speeding. 

Used en route to the Mars Society Conference.  :laugh:

I forgot what we were talking about.  :hm:
Hey, free donuts.

Edited By Cobra Commander on 1117559615

#68 2005-05-31 11:21:20

BWhite

Elwood: Oh no.

Jake: What the #### was that?

Elwood: The motor. We've thrown a rod.

Jake: Is that serious?

Elwood: Yup.

= = = 

Jake: You were outside, I was inside. You were supposed to keep in touch with the band. I kept asking you if we were gonna play again.

Elwood: What was I gonna do? Take away your only hope? Take away the very thing that kept you going in there? I took the liberty of bullshitting you.

Jake: You lied to me.

Elwood: Wasn't lies, it was just... bullshit.

Edited By BWhite on 1117560133

#69 2005-05-31 11:24:13

Cobra Commander

Jake: No I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I, I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts. IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD.

:laugh:

#70 2005-05-31 11:24:51

clark

Dude, who are the administrators, and who are the trolls?

I'm obviously wearing the wrong underwear today if I have to ask.  tongue  big_smile

#71 2005-05-31 11:30:34

BWhite

I'm obviously wearing the wrong underwear today if I have to ask.  tongue  big_smile

Dude, we are discussing one the best movies, evar.

That and how the guy who pushed for freedom fries has http://www.theage.com.au/news/World/Fri … e]recanted.

#72 2005-05-31 11:30:40

Cobra Commander

We're conducting an experiment to determine whether post length, thread length, or other such factors directly cause threads to crash or whether it's completely random.

So, how 'bout them Nazis?

#73 2005-05-31 11:42:10

clark

We're conducting an experiment to determine whether post length, thread length, or other such factors directly cause threads to crash or whether it's completely random.

Is it all that important if this *type* of thread crashes?  :laugh:

Come on, the intro to this thread is a smiley beating a dead horse and me insulting you. Hardly worth the oversight you seem to give it.  big_smile

But carry on.

I'm writing a movie script based loosely on you two's incessant chattering. I can see it now: Two brothers, one in lime green suede, the other in pink chaffon (guess which color you get Cobra). They argue their diamettrically opposing politcal beliefs on a cross country road trip to the Ohio primaries in a last ditch effort to save America from having to choose between a radical born-again Republican, and a left-leaning communist Democrat.

They end up saving the day, but end up being sent to Gitmo to teach detainee's how to sew beaded purse's (so they have jobs when they leave and won't turn to suicide bombing to make ends meet).

Their catch phrase will be, "We're on a mission from Roy."

You see, Roy was this gas-station attendant who... oh never mind.

#74 2005-05-31 11:50:53

BWhite

Road trip movies can be so lame. . .

Unless they are done well. Good luck!

#75 2005-05-31 11:56:52

clark

Aside from the 'Tragedy', aren't all story arch types essentially road trip movies?  :;):  big_smile

Board footer