New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-05-16 08:25:03

REB
Banned
Website

Re: Enterprise shows Mars terraformation - Final Enterprise/Mars Terraformation

I have watched Star Trek for years, and have wondered if in the Star Trek Universe, Mars was ever terraformed. I took a chance with my Peace Offering Star Trek story that Mars had been terraformed.

I was glad to see on the Final Enterprise that Mars was in the process of being terraformed. I liked seeing the Moon and Mars in the Enterprise show. Star Trek rarely shows our Solar System, but I like it when they do and I wish they would have shown more Solar System locations.

They made one mistake, thou. The comet going to Mars was coming from the direction of the Sun. This means the tail would be going towards Mars. There would be a debris trail lagging behind the comet, which they correctly showed.

I liked how they correctly talked, and then showed, about how on the partly terraformed Mars they would not need pressure suits, just thermal suits and an oxygen mask.

I’ll forgive them for moving about Mars like they were in Earth’s gravity (In a base there could be artificial gravity generators, like on their ships, simulating Earth’s gravity, but out on the surface…). Simulating Mars gravity on a show like this would have been difficult.

Overall, I enjoyed the Terra Prime episode showing the Moon and Mars.

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#2 2005-05-16 21:20:17

Shaun Barrett

Hi REB!
    I know not wherof you speak!  ???
    What is this Final Enterprise thing?  smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#3 2005-05-17 06:56:42

REB
Banned
Website

Hi Shaun,

It was the last show of Star Trek's Enterprise series. I came on last Friday in my neck of the wood.

The show ended for good, just when it was getting really interesting sad

The  Synopsis:

In the first steps towards the foundation of the Federation, Captain Archer and the crew must stop Paxton, a well-armed, radical human isolationist leader, who is threatening to destroy Starfleet Command unless all aliens leave Earth immediately. 

http://www.greatlink.org/dcisV2.asp?htt … =1353]More here

And they did do this part, which was really cool.

From the link:
"A couple of things to look out for in this episode: The script calls for a shot where the Shuttlepod flies over the resting place of Sojourner, the Mars rover depicted in the show's opening credits, now dusty and motionless among familiar red rocks. Plans call for a close-up of a Mars Historical Society plaque identifying that 1997 landing spot as the "Carl Sagan Memorial Station." We say "plans" because this shot will be created in post-production, but sometimes budgeting, scheduling and editing demands force compromises. Let's hope this homage to the real space program survives the cut."

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#4 2005-05-17 07:34:09

Shaun Barrett

O.K. Thanks REB!   :up:   smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#5 2005-05-17 07:59:54

Palomar

*Wouldn't know; I've only watched the original Star Trek and a few episodes of STNG. 

They made one mistake, thou.

Interesting how you and SpaceNut shorten "though" that way; I've only previously seen it shortened as "tho."

Thou is old English for you

Always gives me a bit of a brain snag to see "thou" being used the way you guys are using it...guess I read too much out of the King James Version of the Bible while growing up.  :-\

:laugh:

Okay, back on topic entirely:  Wish I could answer your question.  The last I've known of Star Trek, our Solar System was a bit "overlooked"; they were too anxious/busy plowing through the galaxy via the Enterprise. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#6 2005-05-17 08:20:44

REB
Banned
Website

I don't know where I picked up "thou". Probably some book I read as a kid. I have used it (sparingly) for years.3

As far as Star Trek. Yes, they are always plowing thought the galaxy. And that is the problem. I am always wondering what is going on at home, in the Solar System.

Are they terraforming Venus and Mars? Are they living on the Moon, Mars or any other worlds in the Solar System? Do they mine the asteroids? Are their hotels or bases on any of the Gas Giant Moons? Is Mercury one big industrial complex? What is going on in the Solar System?

This last episode confirmed that in the Star Trek Universe, Mars is being terraformed (I wonder if it was fully terraformed during the Next Generation series?), That there is a self supporting mining colony on the Moon, and that Mars has a colony.

I do know The Next Generation’s Enterprise was built in Mars orbit, so something had to be going on there, but they never elaborated on it.

Board footer